• Time
  • Show
Clear All

Was perfect for me

Ratchet
    Resident evil
    Gran Turismo
    Little big

Don’t have much time past few years but past few weeks been really messing about again and enjoying everything

Nice to have that new console feeling to look forward too.

Comment

Originally posted by CMcK View Post
      How many next gen games have we seen so far that have gameplay features that could not be achieved on the present generation systems or lower end PCs? A good chunk of the games at the two reveals are going to also be available on current gen and PCs. First generation, first party series X games aren’t going to be hobbled by wider support.
      I’m hopeful we will see games really take advantage of the new systems a bit quicker than normal at a generational transition as the development environment will be familiar from this generation. But for he first couple of years it’ll probably just be better graphics and loading times.
      There are far too many people who will still be gaming on current generation systems for publishers and developers to ignore. And the effects of the pandemic in economies all over the world will make people think twice about expensive frivolous purchases like games consoles.
      Well let's be fair all launch titles don't max out the consoles, it's usually a few years before developers get to grips with squeezing the best out of them. That might have changed slightly with these consoles becoming more PC based in architecture but it still remains as the tools usually evolve over the initial years after launch.

The thing with the XSX that has me sold is that I already have game pass until end of 2021 so cost wise moving to the new generation isn't going to cost me much.

I'm getting Halo Infinite, Forza and any other first party titles day one with the console for nothing. It's only if I want to pick up say AC Valhalla that I'll be stumping up some extra for titles to play on it... Plus I'm holding back on titles like Doom Eternal and Control right now which I believe are both getting enhancements for it.

So cost wise, it's actually an attractive proposition to upgrade. I think the only real expense that scares me is storage. Man that stuff is going to be real expensive ...

Comment

It isn't so much that the games on Series X won't max out the hardware due to factoring in the design of the XBO in the short term, it's more that Series X not having XSX major titles exclusive to it means that for most people who will only being looking to buy one of the consoles Microsoft has given little to no reason to make that choice an Xbox. MS is leaning on Game Pass as well but as much as the service is great it's only used by around 25% of XBO users, it's not shifting huge hardware numbers as a selling point and outside of MS's first party titles (of which high standard ones are few and far between) anyone with a Game Pass sub expecting the service to get much in the way of next-gen titles any time soon are going to be disappointed.

MS will be selling a system with current gen built and compatible games, promoting a service that offers current gen games and there's a real chance that a year or two later when XSX specific titles land the system will have dropped in price meaning that in buying an XSX at launch you actually are essentially paying for an Xbox One X Pro and risk paying over the odds for it too. Given XBX has just dropped to the mid-£200's there's absolutely zip all chance Lockheart comes close to that price point too, £330-£350 easy. You're mostly going to get effects, resolution and framerate benefits which will all be equally matched on the PS5 versions.

It's why the Series X approach is so frustrating, it's not at all that the system isn't good - it's actually looking really good and on paper like it really could muscle PS5 out. But MS's approach is so flacid again that they're providing no real USP to prioritise getting one above Sony's console unless you're already tied into their ecosystem and even then no rush to. Honestly, I can easy expect Series X to fail to sell as much as the Xbox One generation has and that's the frustration - they should be a real threat to Sony and by god Sony needs that competition as them opening up any more of a lead would be the worst thing for the console market. Series X needs to do really well but currently it's too much of a side offering.

Comment

Originally posted by hudson View Post
          Not sute about that new cooling system...
          Made me think of the sentry turrets from Portal.

Comment

Originally posted by Leon Retro View Post
            The PS5 will play PS4 games, so both the PS5 & Series X will be the same with regard to backwards compatibility because of the x86 architecture.
            That remains to be seen. We know the PS5 will play some/many/most PS4 games but only Microsoft has clearly stated that all Xbox One games will play on the Xbox Series X -- along with whichever Xbox 360 and original Xbox games that are already backward compatible, I suppose.

Given that Microsoft has been pursuing backward compatibility for much longer, I'd be surprised if Sony could achieve it universally by the time of the PS5's launch.

Comment

If I still had all my Cave Shmups that released on the 360 itd put me in an awkward position as to what console to buy.

Comment

Neither system has a USP which I suppose is a given with them both using a very similar architecture. I’m bemused by Microsoft not putting more emphasis on the low latency stuff for the streaming / esports circuit. And the automatic HDR in the display controller appealing to the AV crowd.

Comment

The way I see it is this:

Xbox owners - More then likely to buy the seriesX. They already own games and game pass. No brainer.

PS4 owners - More then likely to buy the PS5. They already own games and PSN. MS are going to struggle to convince even 50% of 100 million ps4 users to ditch their back catalogue and give up on sequels to exclusives they like.

PC owners - stick with the PC. Maybe spend the money they'd spend on the seriesX to upgrade. At the end of the day, they can play the MS games anyway. They might buy a PS5 because of a couple of exclusives.

Anyone sitting in the fence - Likely to go were the masses are, which will be PS5 based on the current PS4 user base.

In the end it will be a slight shuffle of the abacus.

Comment

Exclusive games are an argument in themselves for choosing a console over another and, for most people, Sony has the advantage there.

In terms of the games you might already own for a particular platform, Microsoft's proposition is much more appealing: if you're already in their ecosystem, your games will carry over and if you aren't, you can have an instant backlog for the cost of a monthly subscription.

Sony's message is much less clear in that regard and the fact they're releasing a discless PS5 on day one makes me doubtful that backward compatibility is much more than an afterthought in their plans for the upcoming generation.

Comment

Originally posted by Hartley Hare View Post
                      Was perfect for me

Ratchet
                      Resident evil
                      Gran Turismo
                      Little big

Don’t have much time past few years but past few weeks been really messing about again and enjoying everything

Nice to have that new console feeling to look forward too.
                      You and your bloody Gran Turismo .

Comment

I've never played a Ratchet game but that new one does look impressive.

Comment

Originally posted by Deuteros View Post
                          Exclusive games are an argument in themselves for choosing a console over another and, for most people, Sony has the advantage there.
                          To be fair Microsoft have bought a lot of studios and haven’t shown their hand yet.
                          The top selling games of each year are still FIFA, Call of Doody etc. All multiplatform. I’m not convinced platform exclusives really do shift consoles. These exclusive games are marketing budget titles that despite the money thrown at them are still outsold by stuff like GTA.

Comment

Originally posted by Atticus View Post
                            I've never played a Ratchet game but that new one does look impressive.
                            Whaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaat?!?!?!

Comment

Still got it on my Vita
                              It does look good running on a PS4 Pro on a 4k TV. God help the PS5

Comment

Originally posted by teddymeow View Post
                                Whaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaat?!?!?!
                                Yep, strange but true my friend. Probably down to some irational snobbery over non-Nintendo platform games.

Comment

Working...
                                X