Playstation 5: Thread 01

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by CMcK View Post
    To be fair Microsoft have bought a lot of studios and haven’t shown their hand yet.
    The top selling games of each year are still FIFA, Call of Doody etc. All multiplatform. I’m not convinced platform exclusives really do shift consoles. These exclusive games are marketing budget titles that despite the money thrown at them are still outsold by stuff like GTA.
    If not for its exclusive games, why choose a console over another?

Everyone will have an opinion on how much they value a marginal edge in processing and graphical power, the comfort and ergonomics of a controller or where most of their friends are at.

Up until a week ago, I had neither of the current generation consoles but I was absolutely sure I'd buy a PS4 eventually. I even had both physical and digital games for it.

Xbox had the better controller, the more powerful hardware, a remarkable implementation of backward compatibility and the game changer that is Xbox Game Pass Ultimate.

PlayStation had the exclusives I wanted to play. Alienation, Marvel's Spider-Man, Horizon Zero Dawn, God of War, Death Stranding, Persona 5, Uncharted 4, Days Gone or the upcoming Ghost of Tsushima and The Last of Us: Part II to name a few. These may not sell in the quantities that those you've mentioned do but they can only be played on the PS4, whereas the others can be played on both.

It took something objectively subjective and ilogical -- a cool-looking limited edition console -- to change my mind and make me buy an Xbox One X. I'm still getting a PS4 for its exclusives, though. Eventually.

I agree that Microsoft has bought a number of interesting studios which I'm sure will develop great games for the Xbox Series X but, except for ones which were already well under way -- such as inXile Entertainment's Wasteland 3 -- it'll be quite a while until we see any of those.

I'm looking forward to them -- more so now that I might have a way to play them -- but I'll follow the good games wherever.

Comment

Originally posted by Team Andromeda View Post
      You and your bloody Gran Turismo .
      Things don’t change my man 😂😂

Comment

Originally posted by Hartley Hare View Post
        Things don’t change my man ����
        At least you're off the Neo Geo drug LOL, take care mate

Comment

Yeah exclusive game titles sell games consoles and we all know Sony has them in abundance and Microsoft is playing catch up in that regard, with several new studios yet to bear fruit.

Thing is I don't think MS has a lack of portfolio to dip into if they want to reboot stuff. There's plenty there in the back catalogue, it's obviously subjective as to whether it's a game title you care about.

I'm pretty sure they're going to reboot Perfect Dark. Fable appears to be all but confirmed but then you've also got stuff like Conker, Mechassault and my persona favourite, Crimson Skies... To name a few.

MS had a few disasters from the kinect age around Fable and put that back in the box for a while and rested on its Tri pillar of Gears, Halo and Forza but even there it's been some solid progress. Gears 5 was great, Gears Tactics is also solid... Forza Horizon continues to be a game type unbeaten anywhere else... Even Halo has somewhat redeemed itself with PC release and a better MC Collection.

So MS may be well ahead in services (game pass, live) but they absolutely need exclusives.

On that basis even though I've no doubt the XSX will be a success in sales the PS5 will easily outsell it. The PS4 sold massive numbers in part due to a MS error, equally the same can be said of the Xbox 360 success.

Here I think both camps are looking solid for very different reasons. I also think the way MS is positioned if anyone comments on the XSX being a failure because the PS5 sells more is missing the point entirely. The way MS is playing this round is completely different to the standard approach Sony is sticking with. As long as you're playing an Xbox game somewhere or using some of the services on offer then MS doesn't care if it's on XSX so much.

Interesting times indeed but now the ball is firmly back in MS court and it's time to show all the games.

Comment

These made me laugh when looking through all the PS5 memes.

I'll buy a PS5, even if I think the design is funny. The PS5 presentation convinced me that they'll be lots of amazing games.

Comment

Some interesting info in this interview with Jim Ryan from CNET

They went with the design because they want it to be reflective of a new deacde basically...the 2020s lucky we did not get a 1920s version, I am sure someone will bring out a Downton Abbey variant.

Comment

That fan is uncanny in it's design...

Comment

As long as it feels solid.

If the fins on the side are flimsy?! Bleurgh!!

Although, if they're removable it means they could sell special designs like the old PS4 HDD covers.

Comment

Originally posted by teddymeow View Post
                    Whaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaat?!?!?!
                    Me neither!
                    Last edited by randombs; 15-06-2020, 00:54.

Comment

Worst reveal ever was easily the PS2, I feel time has really dulled how much of an eye burster that was

Comment

I think it's really unfair how much Bugsnax is getting ripped apart. I think the whole point of the show was to preview games that a wide range of people would like.
                        Do I like bugsnax? No, and it doesn't look like a PS5 game... But my 4 year old daughter would probably love it.

Comment

The white parts on PS5 stuff is made up of tiny PlayStation X, Square, Triangle and O's.

Comment

Originally posted by hudson View Post
                            The white parts on PS5 stuff is made up of tiny PlayStation X, Square, Triangle and O's.
                            That's really cool.
                            Last edited by Leon Retro; 14-06-2020, 20:13.

Comment

Originally posted by CAPCOM View Post
                              They went with the design because they want it to be reflective of a new deacde basically...the 2020s
                              What do pistachios have to do with the 2020s?!

My apologies for quoting you but that was a great prop for my joke.

Comment

Originally posted by hudson View Post

That actually real or something someone has photoshopped in? Because its really cool if so.

Comment

Working...
                                X