No announcement yet.

Playstation 5: Thread 01

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Sound solutions are all subjective. I had a 5.1 surround AV and still prefered to use reference headphones to play games because I liked the quality of sound I got.
    I just like to know the system I'm buying can offer a few different ways to get my sound.

Comment

Well, I've switched to all digital on my PS4 bar Rock Band 4.

I think that I'll be going for the digital only PS5.

Comment

Originally posted by teddymeow View Post
        Well, I've switched to all digital on my PS4 bar Rock Band 4.

I think that I'll be going for the digital only PS5.
        I'm exclusively digital. I hate using game shops. I know there is an argument to say you can trade games and get something new for less but I'm 38 and the idea of walking in to game with a rucksack full of games and trading them in seems juvenile. I don't need my shopping experience to make me feel like a 12 year old. It's like begging for scraps.

Comment

I’m going more digital with games these days but that 4K UHD drive is going to be a big plus for film fans.

Comment

Originally posted by Team Andromeda View Post
            My OLED supports it as does my rather cheap DGM TV
            Yes, there will be some although it's very hit and miss. For example I think the LG B9 supports 5.1 from its Optical but there can be issues. In the main you wouldn't want to pass through an audio signal that way. You're potentially inducing lag for starters. Or at least most don't when using a seperate headphone AMP/DAC.

Over the last 10 years we've had 2 Sony's and 3 Samsung's in the house. Mostly mid-range to low-end sets, although the 3D 1080p 2013 Samsung was pretty expensive. All of them don't pass through surround from Optical out.

My Partners kids are 28 and 31 that's not a non-issue Trying not to upset the Neighbours and respect their rights is. Still, I much rather these kinds of tracks blast through the Amp with the bass from the Speakers/Amp, rather than the Headphones
            Fair enough and there's definitely times when speakers are better. Although generally for gaming I've yet to hear a speaker set-up that can get close to the clarity, separation and audio cues that a set-of headphones provide. And 3D/HRTF/VSS just takes that up a notch too. But obviously it's subjective.

Headphones are like different flavours and can be swapped out easily unlike speakers. Although I'll readily admit I have too many. I love AKG's signature sound so can use either my K702's or K712's for a deliciously over exaggerated wide-soundstage. Or I can swap for the Beyerdynamic DT990 Pros when I want a more fun sound. That V-shaped bass and treble being much more dynamic. Or I can put on my AKG K361's for total closed-can isolation. And the best part is that many of these really end-game headphones (at least for gaming) don't cost much at all. And there are loads of AMP/DAC solutions to get the best out of those headphones. Some adding really cool features like virtual surround etc. And of course all of these can be paired with a separate mic when speaking to others which you wouldn't want to do on speakers.

I have the Sony PlayStation Platinums Wireless I bought a few months ago and they are OK (although I'm struggling with the comfort on the plastic earcups and have these new earpads on the way) but I'd much rather Sony had opened up their 3D audio system wide. Again we have open-standards in gaming for displays and PC audio but not where consoles are concerned. That sucks.

Comment

Originally posted by Digfox View Post
              Yes, there will be some although it's very hit and miss
              I find quite a lot can and then you also have Modern TV support for ARC.

Although generally for gaming I've yet to hear a speaker set-up that can get close to the clarity, separation and audio cues that a set-of headphones provide.
              I agree for some PSVR games, but then I much rather have the music blasted out of the Amp (same for films) to using the headphones

Comment

I find quite a lot can and then you also have Modern TV support for ARC.
                Headphone AMP/DACs don't currently use HDMI.

Comment

Headphone AMP/DACs don't currently use HDMI.
                  One is able to use headphone socket on most Amps even under ARC

Comment

One is able to use headphone socket on most Amps even under ARC
                    Most A/V Receivers have cheap headphone outputs, mis-match impedance levels, no amp or DAC and pass through a stereo output. That might be fine, but isn't great for most headphone enthusiasts. And those running separate AMP/DACs won't run a set-up like that. A/V Receivers are built for speaker set-ups, not headphones. And that's before you even get into adding processing to the audio (i.e. Creative's SBX).

There are loads of sites like Head-fi.org, r/Zeos or Youtubers like Badseed Tech or Joshoa Valour where you can get a flavour or more information on what I'm talking about. I've rocked a few different headphones AMP/DACs over the years so have a reasonable handle on this stuff.
                    Last edited by Digfox; 21-06-2020, 19:03.

Comment

Most A/V Receivers have cheap headphone outputs, mis-match impedance levels, no amp or DAC and pass through a stereo output. .
                      Just seems you're looking for issues. If one is 'so' into Audio, you wouldn't look to use headphones and have the ultimate Atmos setup

Comment

Just seems you're looking for issues. If one is 'so' into Audio, you wouldn't look to use headphones and have the ultimate Atmos setup
                        Some people spend thousands on electromagnetic headphones and valve operated AMPs just to get sound clarity. Atmos doesn't have **** on that.

Comment

Mildly addicted to headphones rather than into audio per say. But then your response reeks a bit of 'I'm all right Jack' so it must be fine for everyone else, even when you've said yourself you aren't that interested in headphones?

Funnily enough it was someone else that raised the issue before I got on my soapbox. So I'm definitely not alone in discussing that point and we'll see this raise it's head again. With the PC there's no barrier to great, quality headphone audio and I wish the same was true of the consoles too.

Actually going back to your last point I'm not even sure an A/V Receiver would sufficiently be able to power the Beyerdynamic DT 990 Pros (250 Ohm) from the headphone output. They require quite a bit of power to drive that needs a separate amp.

Comment

Originally posted by Cassius_Smoke View Post
                            Some people spend thousands on electromagnetic headphones and valve operated AMPs just to get sound clarity. Atmos doesn't have **** on that.
                            'IF' you spend thousands, you wouldn't look to use headphones

Comment

'IF' you spend thousands, you wouldn't look to use headphones
                              Because?

Comment

Mildly addicted to headphones rather than into audio per say. .
                                You could say that, but its more the truth that I didn't look down on the DC, OG Xbox, or GameCube for not offering optical out

Comment

Working...
                                X