Playstation 5: Thread 01

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Team Andromeda View Post
    You could say that, but its more the truth that I didn't look down on the DC, OG Xbox, or GameCube for not offering optical out
    Different era and headset and headphones were much less of a 'thing' back then. The earliest devices I can remember offering Dolby Headphone Virtualisation were Turtle Beach DSS's and Astro Mixamps back in 2009/10.

Optical is an old standard but it is very common for headphone AMP/DACs like the Astro Mixamps, SoundBlaster G6, Schiit stacks etc. So it's about choice. If there's an alternative such as full USB support then that's fine too.

Originally posted by wakka View Post
    If you really do need the official headphones they offer to fully access the format, that would be kind of insane - because I'm sure they sound pretty good, but they're obviously going to be a very long way from audiophile quality. It's also a bummer if you've already invested in great speakers or headphones.
    Yea, we don't know at the moment. Even after launch it'll take a while for things to settle and see how or what companies like Creative etc. release new products to support the new consoles.

Originally posted by BearBoy View Post
    Could you use something like THIS to extract the audio to optical for your headphone set up if Sony don't make provision for it?
    I haven't tried specifically but I've always read mixed opinions on those 'adaptors' whether it be lag, interference, audio popping/cutting out or similar issues. You're also going to have grounding issues if you use a mic. I've never read people recommend extracting HDMI as a 'good' way to get headphone audio out of a console. I'm not necessarily going to be day one for either the PS5 or XSX so Ill be interested in seeing how and what starts coming to market.

I'm kinda hoping that 3D Audio for both is system wide and USB Audio devices are supported so you can then plug in any headphone AMP/DAC (and mic). And then not have to worry about virtual surround processing as the new consoles would be doing it. Could then look at a basic stereo AMP/DAC (i.e. Fiio K5 Pro or JDSL Atom + DAC config). That would be my utopia.

Although another approach would be if MS and Sony released their own official dongles that supported Optical and USB Audio devices for £50 or something. That approach would work too, make people pay if they want that extra functionality rather than just licencing certain headset manufacturers. Very unlikely though.

Comment

Originally posted by Digfox View Post
      Different era and headset and headphones were much less of a 'thing' back then. The earliest devices I can remember offering Dolby Headphone Virtualisation were Turtle Beach DSS's and Astro Mixamps back in 2009/10. .
      That was the era when an Optical out was essential to get the best sound into one's Amp. At least MS allowed its AV cables to offer digital out, but SONY fair play to them had it built into the PS2

Comment

Will the ps5 have an optical out?

Comment

That was the era when an Optical out was essential to get the best sound into one's Amp.
          Yes but again I'd argue audio fidelity from devices is much more 'a thing' now. The current debate is just not knowing what all our options will be for audio out for headphone users, even though optical out - a very commonly used port for headphone users, is being removed. My official Optical out on my OG Xbox includes an optical out port so the option was there, even if it cost me money.

Originally posted by dvdx2 View Post
          Will the ps5 have an optical out?
          We don't know yet, in that no one has seen the back of it yet, even though they have unveil shots of every other angle.
          Last edited by Digfox; 22-06-2020, 09:15.

Comment

Yes but again I'd argue audio fidelity from devices is much more 'a thing' now. The current debate is just not knowing what all our options will be for audio out for headphone users, even though optical out - a very commonly used port for headphone users, is being removed. Also my official Optical out on my OG Xbox includes an optical out port so the option was there, even if it cost me money..
            I agree with Headphones, but I noticed quite a lot of people talking of 5.1 sound and optical outs when DVD players started to sell millions of units

Comment

I agree with Headphones, but I noticed quite a lot of people talking of 5.1 sound and optical outs when DVD players started to sell millions of units
              And maybe there were people bemoaning the lack of optical back then. It doesn't change the current debate imo.

Comment

Sony and Microsoft will have usage statistics from their respective system. They know if people are using optical, USB, headphines or HDMI for audio. The PS4 slim and XsX dropping optical output would suggest its not being used by many so I would expect the PS5 to ditch it too. Sony will want to up sell their own headsets too.

Comment

I feel it's like 3.5mm audio jacks on mobile phones, most won't care enough. I reckon the majority probably use their TV's speakers, or headsets they can plug into the controller/console. Using a separate headphone AMP/DAC on console is probably quite niche (although with increase significantly if you include Astro Mixamps and all those dongles included with headphones that have a DAC in them).

MS will save money on not including the port and make money from licensing. And Sony profit from selling their own headsets. But tbf neither MS or Sony has really gone into any detail yet beyond the initial presentation to confirm what you can and can't plug in.

But the reality is the Optical port has been a vital addition for some of us. Although USB works better in many ways, because it's pure digital and can allow the use of microphones (so 2-way audio). But the reality is up until now MS and Sony purposely lock out their USB ports for either partial or no audio device support. And it's that final bit that makes me believe that it's not really about the usage stats, but about the money.
                  Last edited by Digfox; 22-06-2020, 12:31.

Comment

Feeling more and more like this is going to be a £500 console.

Comment

Eurogamer/Digital Foundry have released a piece with their thoughts on the two PS5 models and the potential impact on cost. They suggest it will be at least $50/£50 less for the digital PS5.

In Theory: Can the PS5 Digital Edition deliver a cheaper next-gen console? - Removing the Blu-ray drive adds options, but the economics are still challenging.

Between 2006 and 2008, Sony lost an astonishing $3.3bn in subsidising the price of PlayStation 3. PS4 addressed the balance with a relatively conservative design, but the next generation consoles are much more forward-looking and ambitious by comparison.
                      Based on information from our sources, the estimate is that a digital purchase yields the platform holder an extra $8 or so - so in theory, just three of four digital purchases plus the saving from removing the optical drive means that conceivably, Sony could offer a $50 saving on the cost of a PlayStation 5 console. Any more depends on how confident Sony is on how many games will be bought and how much it wants to take away from its profit-per-user across the generation.

Comment

And maybe there were people bemoaning the lack of optical back then. It doesn't change the current debate imo.
                        Tbh I can't think of many DVD players that didn't offer an optical out, since digital surround was one of the plus points of DVD, but that was then and now it's seems HDMI that's the choice for sound systems, rather than optical

Comment

Eurogamer/Digital Foundry have released a piece with their thoughts on the two PS5 models and the potential impact on cost. They suggest it will be at least $50/£50 less for the digital PS5.

In Theory: Can the PS5 Digital Edition deliver a cheaper next-gen console? - Removing the Blu-ray drive adds options, but the economics are still challenging.
                          That's really interesting, thanks Digfox.

It makes me wonder if there's value in seeing the bigger picture.
                          Adding a DVD player to the PS2 must've bagged a lot more sales.

I was an Xbox 360 player and would've gone down the One route, but that anti-consumer E3 reveal put me right off.

If people are willing to buy another console, they're going to want to future proof too. Maybe it's their first 4K HDR disc player, so another reason to get one. If you've spent a lot of money buying PS4 games and the PS5 will play them, it starts looking a better option that starting from scratch with a new console.

Comment

I can’t see the price difference between the disk version and non disk version being big enough to temp people. If its £100, then year definitely, £50 though? Can see it being phased put quickly.

Comment

Depends what the base price is I suppose. Aren't most sales digital now?

It feels to me like the digital only console is the base unit and the disk based version has the "add-on".

Side by side pictures make it look that way too.

I don't think its going anywhere tbh.

Comment

Never underestimate people’s laziness. People can’t be bothered to fetch a CD / DVD / BD / UHD or game disc and put it in a device when it’s so much easier to just stream it. At least with games there’s no compromise on quality.
                                I reckon by the time the mid gen PS5 slim arrives the disc playing model will be phased out.

Comment

Working...
                                X