Playstation 5: Thread 01

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Asura View Post
    Speaking as a watcher of the industry side of the games media, this isn't particularly unexpected. I don't know how much Sony/MS spend on E3 but I do know that it's a lot. This won't surprise anyone here, of course. The important bit is the cost/benefit analysis; i.e. how much each company gains from that expenditure. It has led to something of an arms race where each has spent more and more over the years, to the point where it's hard to justify that expenditure.

Nintendo have actually done really well out of this, much as it's always a shame that they don't do a live show. Their Direct approach (coupled with their presence on-the-floor at the event) is significantly cheaper to put together.

Sony have probably looked at it and wondered if they could get away with that; I mean they do all of that as well every year anyway.

Plus, the live show is a bit of a gamble. Every year, we see stuff go really right and really wrong. Personally I love it; I watch E3 live and I guess it's like how "normal" people feel when they watch celebrity talent shows. The point is that Sony's, in 2018, had a very mixed reception; their whole "site-to-site" gimmick didn't really work, especially for the audience at home - and let's face it, the at-home audience has grown enormously in the last few years.
    The cost of an e3 showing for any of the 3 is probably in the millions. You could pump that money into studios and fund a few games instead, then just do a live stream presentation at the same time as e3 and just do what nintendo does and call it a direct (or whatever) instead so its not associated.

All shows are getting like that and have for decades, increasing costs for little gain.

Comment

Remember when E3 got cancelled? Then they brought it back again 2 years later. That was weird.

Comment

Speaking as a watcher...
        For me E3 has become slightly less exciting given the huge reliance on CGI trailers and multiplatform games that are available on most formats. The lack of gameplay and not being there to at least experience the games makes it more of a curiosity. I do think new hardware makes those years slightly more exciting. Also there is a certain predictability to some of it; 'It's The Division 2 World premiere' which isn't helped by the leaks of course.

I think the bigger question is whether this is a one-off simply because they have nothing to show in 2019 or whether this might be representative of a longer-term change.

Comment

Originally posted by Digfox View Post
          For me E3 has become slightly less exciting given the huge reliance on CGI trailers and multiplatform games that are available on most formats.
          Definitely this. I would love the E3 guys to exert some quality control and mandate that MS and Sony only show exclusives at their shows (by which I mean "stuff you can only get for this console box", so no "exclusive... But also for PC I guess?" titles).

Comment

Definitely this. I would love the E3 guys to exert some quality control and mandate that MS and Sony only show exclusives at their shows (by which I mean "stuff you can only get for this console box", so no "exclusive... But also for PC I guess?" titles).
            Would mean no Microsoft presentation and only about 15 mins needed for the Sony one.

Comment

Originally posted by Digfox View Post
              Would mean no Microsoft presentation and only about 15 mins needed for the Sony one.

It might just be a kick up the arse for them to make more stuff that qualifies.

Comment

Sony and Microsoft are the E3 show runner’s clients - there’s no way they would be this restrictive to them in what they can do, considering they’re the ones paying for it.

I agree it would be more interesting as a viewer though.

Comment

Originally posted by wakka View Post
                  Sony and Microsoft are the E3 show runner’s clients - there’s no way they would be this restrictive to them in what they can do, considering they’re the ones paying for it.

I agree it would be more interesting as a viewer though.
                  Oh certainly, there are countless reasons why it isn't even remotely viable.

Comment

You won't see this next gen, hell you can't see a proper GT this gen, but to show off it's latest TV's Sony showcased a target render of GT Sport running in 8K at 120fps. A 12 second clip is in the link, it's both impressive and not that great at the same time

Comment

If Sony targeting 8K for PS5, perhaps we'll finally get some games running smoothly and consistently at 1080P60

I don't really care if the next GT is running at 8K anyway; unless Polyphony Digital have moved away from the boring long licence grind, it's not something I'd be buying a PS5 for.

Comment

Polyphony can't even get GT sports running at 4k lol

Comment

I can't believe we've gone all this gen without a true GT7, Sony needs to sort Polyphony out

Comment

They’ve always been self indulgent and overrated . The spoilt favourite brat child of Sony

Comment

Originally posted by Superman Falls View Post
                              I can't believe we've gone all this gen without a true GT7, Sony needs to sort Polyphony out
                              It’s beyond crazy, isn’t it?

I could understand if there was a game every 5 or 6 years and it was the definitive best racing game going. But it’s more like every 10 years and it’s not.

Comment

It's not even like they make anything other than GT games. That's all they do!
                                Sony seem to just indulge Yamauchi to make his own personal game at his own leisure.

Comment

Working...
                                X