No announcement yet.

Playstation 5: Thread 01

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I really liked that about the original Xbox 360s.

I had a rare press-only one from the Amsterdam X05 conference in 2005.

Comment

Redgamingtech video about the technology in the PS5 and seriesX. It's quite a long and dry video so not for everyone. But he knows his stuff.

He talks about how both consoles have had GPU/CPU customisations and that Sony have customised the chips far more. Sony is running what seems to more like RDNA2+. The PS5 also seems to be incredibly flexible in its computing and power use. The Tempest sound engine for example can be used for computing if you want. It also sounds like the hardware Ray Tracing is flexible, not just on or off, but offering Ray Tracing on some elements and not others (although this should be taken with a pinch of salt).

It's an interesting video.

Comment

Are the panels swappable or is that just a shot of them unscrewed from the unit?
        I've no issue with the white personally. Most LE designs are awful and I'm tired of black despite how it looks like it would work well for this design.

Comment

Originally posted by Neon Ignition View Post
          Are the panels swappable or is that just a shot of them unscrewed from the unit?
          I've no issue with the white personally. Most LE designs are awful and I'm tired of black despite how it looks like it would work well for this design.
          It's just rumours at the moment. Some people have said that the panels look like they simply push into place, whether this means you can pull them out again is unknown. I think it's logical that you remove the top one for access to the SSD though.

Comment

Does this mean I can take them off and leave them off so it looks "normal"?

It's probably the one thing I don't like aesthetically on the unit itself.

Comment

Originally posted by nonny View Post
              Does this mean I can take them off and leave them off so it looks "normal"?

It's probably the one thing I don't like aesthetically on the unit itself.
              I'd imagine they exist to allow adequate cooling so running the machine without may fry it.

Comment

Maybe you can but I bet it looks pretty whack. Like running a 360 without a faceplate:

Comment

Originally posted by Cassius_Smoke View Post
                  Leaked images seem to show that the white panels are swappable. I said they might be.

https://www.thegamepost.com/2020/07/...tes-swappable/
                  I think I'd like to have the flattened stormtrooper watching me at all times.

Comment

PS5 will let you install and play specific missions etc within a game

Comment

In before "the PS5 has gone gold" jokes.

If you want more bling on your PS5, Truly Exquisite announced a 24k gold-plated PS5. No retail price or release date have been released, but the price should be around "a few thousand dollars or more", according to CEO Kunal Patel. Only a hundred are planned, if you are interested you'll have to go to Truly Tacky Truly Exquisite and register.

Comment

Originally posted by Neon Ignition View Post
                        https://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2...-game-detailed

PS5 will let you install and play specific missions etc within a game
                        So let's say GT7 has some online races and you earn money doing them, you can check what those races are from the PS5 UI and then jump straight in to them if it takes your fancy. No need to load the game. Sounds crazy. Wonder if Xbox does it too, or if its Sonys 'ace up the sleeve'.

Comment

Originally posted by briareos_kerensky View Post
                          In before "the PS5 has gone gold" jokes.

If you want more bling on your PS5, Truly Exquisite announced a 24k gold-plated PS5. No retail price or release date have been released, but the price should be around "a few thousand dollars or more", according to CEO Kunal Patel. Only a hundred are planned, if you are interested you'll have to go to Truly Tacky Truly Exquisite and register.
                          Bet they'll regret buying those when they see what the cooling situation is like.

Comment

Originally posted by Cassius_Smoke View Post
                            So let's say GT7 has some online races and you earn money doing them, you can check what those races are from the PS5 UI and then jump straight in to them if it takes your fancy. No need to load the game. Sounds crazy. Wonder if Xbox does it too, or if its Sonys 'ace up the sleeve'.
                            I believe Sony patented this specific feature. I know MS have said you can suspend/resume multiple games on Xbox Series X, would imagine it’s similar with because of SSD on PlayStation as well.

Comment

I think you're going to see similar features that squeeze out all the benefits of that SSD on both consoles to be honest.

Quick resume, quick load, install select pieces etc... With file sizes these days these consoles need to add more functionality for this sort of stuff. Disk management and access.

While both camps might patent certain things I also think we will still see similar ideas, call it flattery or plagiarism...

Comment

Originally posted by wakka View Post
                                Maybe you can but I bet it looks pretty whack. Like running a 360 without a faceplate:

To be clear I was thinking whether it can be removed and replaced with something less gaudy and less fan-like. I understand the flared lines might "help" with the air intake but we the end of the day it's just a plastic blade, not a moving part... So can't be adding too much to the cooling?

Comment

Working...
                                X