Playstation 5: Thread 01

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by wakka View Post
    Yeah I think getting older is a big part of it. I’m not old enough to remember the jump between MS and MD (although I played a lot of both systems, MS via a Power Base Converter), but the jump from MD to PS1 was colossal, then the jump from PS1 to PS2 felt huge once we got GTA 3 and MGS 2, then the jump PS2 to 360 again felt ginormous, not least because you could do stuff like download demos, bring up the guide, play music etc.
    Look at the tech spec's of the Mega Drive and Master and its not that much, few more sprites, few more colours and sound channels, but pretty much the same style of games, just with a jump in gfx and sound. The Jump between the MD and Saturn was always going to be huge given the move to 3D and the move to RISC CPU's and by the Time of the DC 3D Hardware have moved on and developers really knew how to make 3D games.

If one goes back to play a 360 game and then a game like Drakes 4 or God Of War the Jump is massive, same goes for even a base XBox One and the 360 when playing Forza Horizon or games like Battlefield, F1 2017. The base Xbox One can emu the 360 in Software, that's an obvious jump in power. I was still young when the 360 came out, but that was ages ago. I've got older and settled down now.

I was so excited about most things in my late 20's, Hell I used to love playing football for my local town and playing Five-a-side football mid week after work. Half the time now, I can't be assed to watch a football match live or even on the TV, never mind play a game football (hate getting old)
    Last edited by Team Andromeda; 20-04-2019, 11:34.

Comment

Originally posted by Team Andromeda View Post

I was so excited about most things in my late 20's,
      I'd get excited about certain things, such as OutRun 3, Ridge Racer 8, a modern Daytona USA, a new F-Zero made by Nintendo, and a really top quality sequel to Wave Race 64.

What I don't get excited about is all the 'big blockbuster' franchises such as COD, Battlefield etc... And anything similar to those. I've never liked anything like those games or the Rainbow Six-style stuff.

What I crave is arcade-style experiences, abstract games, and anything really imaginative with lots of flair. So what I'd like to see in the upcoming PS5 era is the big publishers being more open-minded and funding lots of games that aren't generic blockbuster sort of titles. There is certainly a market for more Indie type of games -- with some becoming big hits. So I'd love to see the big publishers embracing the Indie scene by funding the creation of top quality Indie titles.

I respect that lots of gamers love COD, Battlefield, The Division etc... But they're not my cup of tea at all. I still crave arcade-style and more old school type games in general. I'd have bought a Switch if Nintendo had made a new F-Zero. So I really hope the next gen will see the big publishers branching out and delivering a far more diverse range of games. I don't like how the industry feels very much focused on playing safe with 'blockbuster' type of games, because it can feel quite alienating for gamers who crave arcade and old school style experiences.

I'm hoping the next gen is all about diversity. I want the industry to fund far more games that don't adhere to the 'blockbuster' template. Even if most of them wouldn't sell 5+ million copies -- at least development costs would be lower.
      Last edited by Leon Retro; 20-04-2019, 21:25.

Comment

Originally posted by Leon Retro View Post
        I'd get excited about certain things, such as OutRun 3, Ridge Racer 8, a modern Daytona USA, a new F-Zero made by Nintendo, and a really top quality sequel to Wave Race 64.

What I don't get excited about is all the 'big blockbuster' franchises such as COD, Battlefield etc... And anything similar to those. I've never liked anything like those games or the Rainbow Six-style stuff.
        Since about the age of 6, I've been a fan of pretty much the same things: gaming, F1, Football and Jackie Chan.

I can really say the days of me setting the Alarm, to get up early for all the Trade shows (even rival ones, like I used too) are GONE. The days of setting the Alarm to get up early for the Chinese, Japanese, Australia F1 GP's gone. If I'm up I'll watch them, if not I watch the recordings and half the time these days I can't be bothered to go and watch my football team.

I still love all my hobbies, but the excitement levels and will to push myself are going as I get older.
        Last edited by Team Andromeda; 21-04-2019, 06:15.

Comment

Since about the age of 6, there's I've been a fan of pretty much the same things: gaming, F1, Football and Jackie Chan.

I can really say the days of me setting the Alarm, to get up early for all the Trade shows (even rival ones, like I used too) are GONE.

The days of setting the Alarm to get up early for the Chinese, Japanese, Australia F1 GP's gone. If I'm up, I'll watch them, if not I watch the recordings and half the time these days I can't be bothered to go and watch my football team.

I still love all my hobbies, but the excitement levels and will to push myself are going as I get older. I can't even drink like I used too; I've haven't long come back for the Ice hockey playoffs and still feel like crap, nearly a week on for the drinking the good stuff lol

Comment

I still love all my hobbies, but the excitement levels and will to push myself are going as I get older.
            Well, for me it's just a case of not having loads of games to get excited about. There are two modern games that really filled me with enthusiasm: Mario Kart 8 and Astro Bot. I love playing those two. Away from them -- I really like Polybius and Horizon Chase Turbo.

Part of the reason I'm so heavily into retro gaming is because I look around and don't see loads of modern games that really appeal to me. I'd be more than happy to buy loads of arcade style/old school style games, but not many are something special or top quality. A lot of Indie games lack flair and creativity. It would be nice if we got more top quality Indie titles, so I think big publishers need to get more involved.

I really wish that Sega would embrace the retro market with lots of new old school style games. It would be great if Namco delivered Ridge Racer 8. Away from all the Mini consoles -- I'd like big publishers to invest more in developing smaller, more Indie type of games. That would probably make the modern gaming scene really exciting for me and people who share my point of view. I can only hope that happens with the next Xbox and PS5.

I appreciate that the modern gaming market is all about games that don't appeal to me, but I still think publishers could/should diversify their catalogues more. I really hope it happens with the next gen. That's more important to me than all the hardware spec side of things.
            Last edited by Leon Retro; 21-04-2019, 00:04.

Comment

Well, for me it's just a case of not having loads of games to get excited about. There are two modern games that really filled me with enthusiasm: Mario Kart 8 and Astro Bot. I love playing those two. Away from them -- I really like Polybius and Horizon Chase Turbo.

Part of the reason I'm so heavily into retro gaming is because I look around and don't see loads of modern games that really appeal to me. I'd be more than happy to buy loads of arcade style/old school style games, but not many are something special or top quality. A lot of Indie games lack flair and creativity. It would be nice if we got more top quality Indie titles, so I think big publishers need to get more involved.
              There are loads of games I can't wait for and I simply can't wait to see the new systems too. But the days of me setting the Alarm, to see all the late shows at E3 are gone. It's not just for gaming; I don't get up early for the F1 like I used too and while I love football and more so the away days....I've cut back on them big time, just becase I'm older and it's takes me like 3 days to get over a big drinking day out lol

I do agree with you on SEGA though. I so wish SEGA would use their Arcade games far more and also port their Light gun games to Sony's VR.

Comment

I do agree with you on SEGA though. I so wish SEGA would use their Arcade games far more and also port their Light gun games to Sony's VR.
                Well, Sega and Namco should have delivered compilations of their 90s 3D games last generation[360 & PS3].

But as much as I'm up for ports of old games, I also crave new games with old school sensibilities. Sega and Namco not delivering OutRun 3 and Ridge Racer 8 sort of shows that big publishers aren't really interested in catering to gamers with a fondness for old school gaming.

I don't think any big publisher has much interest in gaming away from the current popular genres/styles. The 'play safe' attitude of delivering 'cookie cutter' games with a sprinkling of innovation is the preferred option for most publishers.

The fact that lots of devs fail to compete and end up shutting down, really shows that it could be better for publishers to diversify their output. Expecting lots of similar games to compete well just doesn't make sense. There are only ever going to be a few that are big hits. So maybe it would be wiser to task some devs with developing smaller, cheaper games that offer something different from the mainstream 'blockbuster' hits.

I'd love to see Namco say they're releasing Ridge Racer 8, even though it wouldn't be a huge hit like Gran Turismo, Forza Horizon etc... A game like RR8 would probably cost far less to develop than something like Forza Horizon, so even if the sales were far less, you could still see a tidy profit. The same with Sega and a potential OutRun 3.

But the big publishers are very much focused on copycat titles that are trying to sell 10+ million copies. I'd love to see the situation change to a large degree, to the point where all the big publishers have a truly diverse catalogue of interesting games. There's nothing wrong with mainstream popular genres and blockbuster hits, but away from that a good degree of diversity would be nice. I'd like to see talented developers properly supported by the big publishers to create all sorts of less mainstream experiences.

Seeing far more top quality arcade-style games, lots of creatively inspiring experiences, and plenty of games with an old school flavour/vibe, would really grab my attention. That would get me excited about the the next gen more than any specs ever could.
                Last edited by Leon Retro; 21-04-2019, 07:37.

Comment

Well, Sega and Namco should have delivered compilations of their 90s 3D games last generation[360 & PS3].

But as much as I'm up for ports of old games, I also crave new games with old school sensibilities. Sega and Namco not delivering OutRun 3 and Ridge Racer 8 sort of shows that big publishers aren't really interested in catering to gamers with a fondness for old school gaming.
                  To a point, but I would like to see SEGA port games that have never really been ported or ported perfectly like Slashout, House of the Dead, Let's Go series, Virutal Cop 3, Dirt Devils, LA Machineguns, Revenge of the Death Adder Ect. I really can't blame SEGA for no Outrun 3 mind. SEGA tried really hard with OutRun 2 and then 2006 but it didn't work out.

I don't think any big publisher has much interest in gaming away from the current popular genres/styles. The 'play safe' attitude of delivering 'cookie cutter' games with a sprinkling of innovation is the preferred option for most publishers.
                  I think that's slighty unfair tbh, more so when it comes to SONY; who have taken risks. Some of our fav games, from the 16 bit generation could hardly be classed has risk taking games and most would fit in the 'Play it Safe' . Axelay was in the 'play it safe' shooter genre, Super Castlevania IV was in the play it safe genre of a 2D platform game (like we didn't see a ton of them in the 8-bit and 16-bit days) Streets Of Rage II in the 'play it safe' scrolling beat them up genre.

I mean in the 32Bit days some of my fav genre's were dying out slowly like the 2D scrolling beat them up or the light gun games. Sadly in every gen they'll be a couple of genres that will doninate at the expense of some others

Comment

Even just Outrun 2 on PS4 or Switch would do me! Get rid of the Ferrari branding as with the recent Outrun port!

Comment

d love to see Namco say they're releasing Ridge Racer 8, even though it wouldn't be a huge hit like Gran Turismo, Forza Horizon etc... A game like RR8 would probably cost far less to develop than something like Forza Horizon, so even if the sales were far less, you could still see a tidy profit. The same with Sega and a potential OutRun 3.
                      I'm quite amazed that Namco hasn't made a new Ridge Racer given that most games in the series sell well. I'm 100% with for an Arcade racer. I love modern day racers, but I'm sick to death with how most Arcade style racers, now have to be in an Open Online world

Comment

I really can't blame SEGA for no Outrun 3 mind. SEGA tried really hard with OutRun 2 and then 2006 but it didn't work out.
                        OutRun 2 was released on the Xbox, PS2, PSP, and then the 360 & PS3 via digital networks. So I guess it might have sold a reasonable amount overall. When you look back -- you can see that OutRun 2 would have been better as a digital-only title, but the Xbox & PS2 didn't offer that option.

I'm all for 'digital-only' if it meant we got games like OutRun 3, Ridge Racer 8 etc... I think big publishers could be delivering lots more niche games via digital, but they're obviously not interested. I think that's because most publishers want to sell 5+ million copies.

I think that's slighty unfair tbh, more so when it comes to SONY; who have taken risks.
                        I've got nothing against all the 'blockbuster' type of games. I accept that's what the market craves. People want COD, Battlefield, FIFA, Just Cause, Far Cry etc....

I look at the best selling games of 2018 and have zero interest. That's why I crave more diversity. My whole point is this: I'd rather big publishers create/fund niche games than indie developers go it alone. I'd like to see the industry truly embrace diversity.

Of course, some indie developers deliver really good games, but they're few and far between. So I'd like to see the wider games industry get involved and broaden their catalogues with all sorts of interesting/creative games away from the big hitters. The mentality that every game has to sell millions and be a huge hit needs to change.

I mean in the 32Bit days some of my fav genre's were dying out slowly like the 2D scrolling beat them up or the light gun games. Sadly in every gen they'll be a couple of genres that will doninate at the expense of some others
                        I think there was a time when most gamers were only interested in the latest and greatest 3D blockbuster games, but things have gradually changed. I think the market is bigger now and more open to niche games -- especially since 'digital marketplaces' became popular. I just wish all the big publishers would embrace 'digital' and deliver lots of interesting games that aren't deemed to be worth £60.

I know some people will say there are plenty of AAA games covering all genres, but I really feel there's a severe lack of diversity when it comes to the big publishers and their output. I think they 'play safe' more than they ever have. So I'd like that to change with the next gen.

So, people have different hopes and expectations for the next generation. My hope is that the big publishers start embracing diversity and realise that lots of gamers do crave simpler more niche games away from the massively popular blockbusters.

Nintendo could also do better. I'd have bought a Switch if there were a new F-Zero. Even something like Excite Truck 2 would get my attention. Why can't we have a new Wave Race, Pilotwings, F-Zero etc...??? Even Nintendo don't want to deliver a truly diverse catalogue of games. I just see the company being focused on the 'big hitters' and re-releasing Wii U games.
                        Last edited by Leon Retro; 22-04-2019, 16:23.

Comment

OutRun 2 was released on the Xbox, PS2, PSP, and then the 360 & PS3 via digital networks. So I guess it might have sold a reasonable amount overall. When you look back -- you can see that OutRun 2 would have been better as a digital-only title, but the Xbox & PS2 didn't offer that option.
                          Yes, it would work quite well now. I think OutRun II didn't sell great tbh and that's most prob why SEGA hasn't gone near the IP since or made any moves for spins off or High Def remaster

I'm all for 'digital-only' if it meant we got games like OutRun 3, Ridge Racer 8
                          How well did RR 7 sell? I didn't think it was that bad and given the great work Namco did on Ace Combat7 and SC6 they really could make an amazing RR8

I think there was a time when most gamers were only interested in the latest and greatest 3D blockbuster games, but things have gradually changed. I think the market is bigger now and more open to niche games -- especially since 'digital marketplaces' became popular. I just wish all the big publishers would embrace 'digital' and deliver lots of interesting games that aren't deemed to be worth £60.
                          At the time I used to think Model 2 and 3 were the best things going and loved the Arcades, but now looking back, The likes of Model 3 priced so many Arcade operators and developers out of the business and started the death of some of my games/developers who couldn't compete in the high end 3D market.

Why can't we have a new Wave Race, Pilotwings, F-Zero etc...??? Even Nintendo don't want to deliver a truly diverse catalogue of games. I just see the company being focused on the 'big hitters' and re-releasing Wii U games.
                          I can only guess sales sadly. Nintendo more than most will make sequels, but only to games that sell. It's quite sad that so many of our fav style of games and developers fall into the niche market. I do hope one day Nintendo will take a chance on a new Pilotwings, I still love the game on the N64 and think it holds up so well, even today.

Comment

Yes, it would work quite well now. I think OutRun II didn't sell great tbh and that's most prob why SEGA hasn't gone near the IP since or made any moves for spins off or High Def remaster
                            It's a shame that there weren't 'digital markeplaces' on consoles back then, as OutRun 2 would have probably sold reasonably well at a £10-20 price point. I remember playing it on Xbox Live in 2004 -- and people were saying they bought it quite cheap in a sale and they think it's really fun. So they gave it a chance at £20/$20 -- and then realised it's a fun arcade racer. So people are willing to take a chance on more simple old school style games if the price is quite low.

How well did RR 7 sell?
                            It probably sold a reasonable amount, but I don't think a Ridge Racer game, in the modern market, is going to compete with the likes of Forza, Gran Turismo, or even Project Cars.

It's all about expectations. If Namco and other big publishers expect an arcade racer to sell 5+ million they're going to be disappointed. If a publisher can manage a smaller project that costs far less than a sim racer, then it could still be financially viable. Something like Ridge Racer 8 doesn't have to compete with the 'blockbuster' sim racers.

At the time I used to think Model 2 and 3 were the best things going and loved the Arcades, but now looking back, The likes of Model 3 priced so many Arcade operators and developers out of the business and started the death of some of my games/developers who couldn't compete in the high end 3D market.
                            I remember when journalists started moaning about arcade ports not offering 'value for money'. That sort of attitude changed gaming away from arcade ports being the 'must-have' titles, to people wanting bigger games with far more content. That's the main reason why OutRun 2 wasn't a huge success in the home. Gaming had gradually changed to the point where people expected far more for their £40-£60.

I can only guess sales sadly. Nintendo more than most will make sequels, but only to games that sell. It's quite sad that so many of our fav style of games and developers fall into the niche market. I do hope one day Nintendo will take a chance on a new Pilotwings, I still love the game on the N64 and think it holds up so well, even today.
                            Nintendo are the most guilty when it comes to 'playing safe' and being very much focused on sure-fire hits. The way the Switch has received so many Wii U ports and not many exclusives, really highlights the sort of mentality modern publishers have.

It's obvious that most big publishers aren't very interested in having a broad catalogue of diverse games. They're not interested in supporting indie devs to create much better quality experiences. The industry is very much focused on finding the next mainstream 'blockbuster'. That's just a fact, like it or not.

I just wish the big publishers would have a more positive attitude and stimulate more creativity within the industry. Supporting smaller projects that aren't aiming to compete with the big guns could really help to make gaming feel more diverse. I personally want to see more titles that inspire me -- and I know lots of other gamers are also looking for the same type of experiences away from the mainstream games.
                            Last edited by Leon Retro; 22-04-2019, 18:51.

Comment

My favourite games this generation:

Mario Kart 8 - A brilliant game in all areas. My 'most played' game this generation.
                              Super Mario 3D World - A charming game full of attractive graphics and fun gameplay.
                              Driveclub - Really nice graphics and great fun for people who like arcade-style racers.
                              Fast Racing Neo - Impressive graphics, fast smooth gameplay, and offers a fun challenge.
                              Polybius - A really intense experience that's a joy to play through. Also great in VR.
                              Nex Machina - A great looking game that offers really fun old school gameplay.
                              Wipeout Omega Collection - Made me wish Sony would make a brand new Wipeout.
                              Horizon Chase Turbo - A nice looking racer that offers pure joy for people who are still fond of 16-bit racing games.
                              Astro Bot - Not only an absolutely stunning VR experience -- but also a breath of fresh air for people who can feel somewhat disenchanted with modern gaming. It's such an uplifting creation

Away from those games, I played quite a bit of Gran Turismo Sport, but after a while I realised it's quite a sterile game and not much fun to play. I wish Sony would make a 'Gran Turismo Arcade' version of the game with fantasy race tracks. I would be really interested in that, because Polyphony definitely know how to create an impressive engine and nice graphics, but GT Sport is far too dull an experience for me. A more arcadey version with larger than life fantasy race tracks would probably be much more fun.
                              Last edited by Leon Retro; 22-04-2019, 23:43.

Comment

It's a shame that there weren't 'digital markeplaces' on consoles back then, as OutRun 2 would have probably sold reasonably well at a £10-20 price point. I remember playing it on Xbox Live in 2004 -- and people were saying they bought it quite cheap in a sale and they think it's really fun. So they gave it a chance at £20/$20 -- and then realised it's a fun arcade racer. So people are willing to take a chance on more simple old school style games if the price is quite low..
                                I remember even in the days of the Mega Drive that being the case towards the end. One of my mates who loved stuff like SOR II and Final Fight said he'll wait for SOR III to drop in price as he was no longer willing to spend £50 on a game that could be finished in one sitting. It's sad as I love the simple pick and play Arcade style game, but people were starting to expect and so much more for their money.

It probably sold a reasonable amount, but I don't think a Ridge Racer game, in the modern market, is going to compete with the likes of Forza, Gran Turismo, or even Project Cars.
                                I would expect it too, but I do feel a RR 8 could push over a million copies if Namco really tried with it.

The industry is very much focused on finding the next mainstream 'blockbuster'. That's just a fact, like it or not.
                                I think that was the case even in the 16-bit console era tbh. Like Archer MacLean told SEGA Pro, all games were starting to be needed to be approved in panel by men in suits who never played a game in their life's but that was the cost of games getting more professional and worse its got with ever bigger budgets and teams.

Maybe you should try the likes of Ryse, The Order, Batman Arkham Knight, Ori and the Blind Forest, Ace Combat 7, Doom, Yakuza 4, Fist of the North Star, DMC V, NieR Automata Games that really play like old school games, but with modern-day visuals. I have to say Elite Dangerous is utterly amazing too

Can't wait for E3 when we start to see a little of what we can expect for the next gen too

Comment

Working...
                                X