No announcement yet.

Playstation 5: Thread 01

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Could probably stick a mug in that gap. Looks like a dust magnet too.

Comment

Oh now he sees it. It's shaped like a V for you know, a 5. Looks like a thrown for a Sith Lord.

Comment

Originally posted by Junko View Post
        Aesthetics has never really come in to console design has it ? Other than the N64 I can’t think of a pleasing design ?
        Aesthetic design was a very important part of consoles prior to PS4/Xbox One era. Buy the book 'The Game Console' by Evan Amos and appreciate how much craft went in to the aesthetic design of many consoles.

Of course, it's fine to say that many console designs don't appeal to you, but aesthetics were certainly very important up until the recent era of machines. Now it's all about trying to get PC tech into a reasonably smallish plain box.

Comment

Originally posted by Leon Retro View Post
          Now it's all about trying to get PC tech into a reasonably smallish plain box.
          Exactly... I’m thinking the retail PS5 may have a similar U-shaped cut out and side vents as part of the required cooling system. This thing is supposed to be a graphical beast, gotta keep it cool somehow.

Comment

Originally posted by _SD_ View Post
            This thing is supposed to be a graphical beast, gotta keep it cool somehow.
            Yeah, cooling is really important. It's all about creating a reasonably powerful console that runs cool. There are many factors that highlight why modern consoles have quite bland design. Cost is definitely one of them. I don't think you can expect truly inspired design on a mass market console, considering how expensive the tech inside is.
            Last edited by Leon Retro; 23-08-2019, 22:17.

Comment

I would be staggered and amazed if that dev unit even remotely, in any way shape or form, syncs up design wise with the retail consumer version. It's utterly foul looking, way too over designed to be a Sony end product and even the supposed V is weak - it looks more like an uncomfortable child's toilet seat.

I just google imaged and though this is also likely over designed, this seemed the closest to what I'd expect from Sony from a non-Slim model PS5:

Comment

It amazes me people would think Sony of all people would release a consumer unit that looks like that.

Comment

I wonder if anyone has done a console mock up that's ended up looking like the actual console?

Comment

I just hope it can stand up sideways, I aint got room for it flat

Comment

Thing that makes me laugh is often you would see prototypes of controllers (like the famous boomerang prototype) and in the end they just use the same/similar thing again

Comment

Really concerned that Sony will soon announce that Ghost of Tsushima has been held back as a PS5 launch title. I'm be miffed if so, as I ran out and bought a PS4 after seeing the trailer.

Originally posted by eastyy View Post
                        Thing that makes me laugh is often you would see prototypes of controllers (like the famous boomerang prototype) and in the end they just use the same/similar thing again
                        That was a marketing ploy, to get people to talk about it. I'm utterly convinced of it.

Comment

Wasn't the boomerang controller and the Giant Enemy Crab in the same year? That must have been Sony whipping up a storm.

Comment

Originally posted by Asura View Post
                            Really concerned that Sony will soon announce that Ghost of Tsushima has been held back as a PS5 launch title. I'm be miffed if so, as I ran out and bought a PS4 after seeing the trailer.

That was a marketing ploy, to get people to talk about it. I'm utterly convinced of it.
                            Oh Ghosts of Tsushima will come out on PS4. Sucker punch are a great dev, plus there’s been plenty of in game footage of it actually being played, so it’s not like only bull shots have been shown.

Comment

I was going to throw this in as a jokey PS5 prototype design:

Then I realised it's already dangerously close to being the XBX's design

Comment

I like this idea. Let's post pics of normal objects that could be mistaken for a console.

Comment

Working...
                                X