No announcement yet.

Playstation 5: Thread 01

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I can't see either SONY or MS going for a sub-par CPU next gen myself and the new comp between Intel and AMD over CPUs will also filter down the consoles,even if Intel don't make any CPU for the consoles... Like how the comp between Nvida and AMD over GPU filter down to console even with only AMD making the main console GPUs . Ryzen is a big step up and should see a massive jump over the current Jaguar set alone and should seen even more games look to 60 fps (this gen been much better than the last for that, 3rd party wise)

I can see both consoles coming in at £400, Tech isn't that cheap and at launch, its the tech heads and die-hards who are the one with the money and the people most likely to buy systems at launch, to them £400 isn't bad. Also, I really don't think it was the lack of MS In-House exclusives that lost them this gen, it was a rubbish focus on Kinect and making a less powerful console and one where the launch tools were up to the standards of SONY, MS has shown with the One X that have all but addressed those issues. It's not like other than Fable, Halo and Forza MS had than many In-House system sellers for the 360.

What MS did had with the 360 was a nice system to develop on, a super powerful GPU and looking to make sure Japanese developers also made games on their consoles, that is just what they need to go back too, not worry about In-House studio numbers as they never had that many in the 360 days. Given Phil trips to Japan and the likes of Namco support and that Capcom and SEGA have been to MS HQ, one can hope MS is putting that part right, going forward too

Comment

presumably, I'll weigh up the pros and cons of each new console - GPU, CPU, terrabitflop processing - and work out which of the two has enough grunt to simultaneously pilot the moon lander and tweet about it.

How will I use this monumental extra power?
      I'll probably just reinstall Minecraft and Thomas Was Alone.

Comment

Originally posted by dataDave View Post
        That would be a huge mistake unless they somehow get the VR to work inside a cool pair of Oakley-like shades which cost $7 to produce.
        Fact.

Comment

Originally posted by QualityChimp View Post
          presumably, I'll weigh up the pros and cons of each new console - GPU, CPU, terrabitflop processing - and work out which of the two has enough grunt to simultaneously pilot the moon lander and tweet about it.

How will I use this monumental extra power?
          I'll probably just reinstall Minecraft and Thomas Was Alone.
          A modern toaster has more compute power than the moon lander so that wouldn’t be difficult.

Comment

I think for me it always comes back more to the software because coming off the back of this gen, despite the hardware progress MS has made in addressing issues, even if they had more Japanese devs on board they'd still effectively be doing what they have this gen which is have a very similar product to Sony. Short of another major event happening where Sony destroys its own good will with customers I don't see MS coming anything but third place again next gen unless they do something that marks them out against Sony. Hardware gimmicks etc are out as it goes against the plan they have for a shared platform meaning software or distinctly undercutting Sony's launch RRP are the only realistic moves they have. I feel hardware costs will prohibit the latter so it quickly comes down to software for MS to mark themselves out as being worth the masses making the company jump again and their current ip's lack the power to do that. Hopefully Sea of Thieves is an early statement of intent and not a one-off.

Comment

Definitely all about software, even though I entered this gen "early" by my standards by getting a PS4 Slim just for Yakuza I could've easily held off as I've played only a handful of titles on there as there is still so much 360/PS3 goodness out there.

Blind allegiance to a company and whatever it produces are long gone round here, they have to prove they are worthy of the loot by bringing the best wares to the table. Not wares, not warez, those days are are long gone round here.

Comment

Originally posted by fishbowlhead View Post
                A modern toaster has more compute power than the moon lander so that wouldn’t be difficult.
                OK, I'll get the console that doesn't explode when I send a game invite.

Still too soon?

Comment

As much as I like to wait and see what’s available on a system, it would take a miracle I feel for me to buy in to something from Nintendo or MS again, though I feel it’s a fairly safe bet I’ll see a continuation of the few modern gaming series I enjoy on the next effort from Sony. Not quite blind faith, but I’d say they’re the only ones currently in with a chance of getting my money.

Comment

Yup. It'll be PS5 for me whenever it launches.

Comment

I just switched my 5ghz WiFi off because my wiiu pad drops connection. My switch joycon dropped connection too. Nintendo are amateurs at times.

Comment

tbh I really struggle to see how much of improvement the PS5 will be over current gen. I doubt it'll be powerful enough to truly handle 4K with all the bells and whistles - it's still mightily tough on even PC hardware. There's still not a single GPU solution that can comfortably pump out 4k/60 that's including the Titan V and I doubt PS5 will be anywhere near that level of performance.

All that said, it's about the games and for my money Sony have been making the best 1st party games for my money. I don't think Zelda or Mario was really all that even with all of the ridiculous scores it's been getting. Give me Nioh or Yakuza instead anyday lol. Plus they also seem to make the best looking games despite the hardware...

Comment

Originally posted by UKGamer View Post
                          tbh I really struggle to see how much of improvement the PS5 will be over current gen. I doubt it'll be powerful enough to truly handle 4K with all the bells and whistles - it's still mightily tough on even PC hardware. There's still not a single GPU solution that can comfortably pump out 4k/60 that's including the Titan V and I doubt PS5 will be anywhere near that level of performance.

All that said, it's about the games and for my money Sony have been making the best 1st party games for my money. I don't think Zelda or Mario was really all that even with all of the ridiculous scores it's been getting. Give me Nioh or Yakuza instead anyday lol. Plus they also seem to make the best looking games despite the hardware...
                          Yet another generation that WONT run 1080p @ 60fps

Comment

Originally posted by QualityChimp View Post
                            OK, I'll get the console that doesn't explode when I send a game invite.

Still too soon?

Comment

Basically mate, tbf if the frame pacing is decent 30fps can be alright, Sony devs generally get that right...

That said a new console is always exciting...

Comment

This gen been very good for 60fps. Unlike last gen Codemasters F1 and Dirt games run at 60, so does Halo, so does Battfield that's just to name a few.

Comment

Working...
                                X