No announcement yet.

Playstation 5: Thread 01

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I'm amazed at how high they've managed to keep the prices of games consoles this gen. In previous generations consoles had always sunk to around the £100 mark by this point. But the slims are still £200 odd and the 'Pro' models are outrageously expensive considering they're 12 months away from being replaced.

Comment

£449.99 bundled with a game you really don't want.

Comment

Originally posted by Neon Ignition View Post
        £400+ = dead on arrival
        That feels like a redtop headline

PS4 was £350 six years ago when the £pound was healthier and they did have a bundle for £429.99 with Killzone and the Camera. So even at £400+ it would still sell very well.

Comment

Could all depend who puts the price out first. If MS say the xbox4 is £400 Sony might undercut them.

Comment

That's the conundrum MS faces and what Sony will position themselves to counter:

-If they're more expensive than PS5 they're done for from the outset
            -If they cost the same as PS5 they're done for from the outset

I don't think there's ever been a successful console launched above £400 that didn't have to collapse that price to recover, £350 has long been the roof the public will entertain regardless of how the pound does at the time and it just feels hard to believe either Sony or Microsoft will be keen to be the ones to test that theory under such closely pitched conditions. The closest exceptions of late were the PS4 Pro and XBX, I imagine both companies are mindful that neither console made much of a sales impact so going in high balling on hardware isn't going to lead to a win next gen.

Comment

What perplexes me about MS' strategy is how quiet they've been with Scarlett. We know it's powerful, but Sony trickled info, users reposted patent filings, developers hinted at something, and of course some stuff leaked. This is making people excited or at least talk about the PS5, but there's no such thing from MS...they can undercut Sony in price and/or release date, but the spotlight is on Sony, and unless MS do something about it, Scarlett will be DOA no matter the offer.

Comment

I would imagine MS will go BIG early next year and then fire an all out assualt at E3. Little point in talking about a system that's over a year away. Ilike the confidence MS got in keeping its cards close to their chest and dont feel the need to leak out silly little droplets

Comment

MS are done in the console space as far as competing with Sony & Nintendo are concerned.

Virtually no exclusives to the Xbox console, honestly I cant name anything that is only available on the Xbox console solely.

Not enough studios working on games exclusively for the next box, they will all come to pc as well. So no selling point.

Game pass. Seriously MS? Your trying to make a profitable business by giving all the games away for £1 a month? Game sales will TANK on the next box because everyone wants it all for free.

Its done.

Comment

Sony will struggle if they don’t introduce a Game Pass service or add a tier to PS Now, especially on launch of a new console.
                    Buy a console on launch £399 grab a game pass subscription for £1 and you get access to Halo Infinite and what ever else MS sign up for launch. That means you can buy a brand new console with 5-10 games for £400, compare that against PS5, if Sony don’t have a similar deal two games and a £399 console will cost you £499.

I personally don’t care about MS’s profit margins, as you say they’re a business and that side of things is for them to worry about not me.
                    I’ll be buying all the consoles anyways, always have.
                    Last edited by Family Fry; 26-11-2019, 12:56.

Comment

I've got a suspicion that Game Pass has made little to no impact on Sony. I think instead it's cannibalising what's left of the Xbox market instead. GP is a great deal on PC too but there's relatively little buzz about it and I still don't see the current set up as sustainable for MS.

They're likely a good decade out from sorting out their first party software line up as well so there's that sense they're slipping towards being a Steam style service as time goes on with Game Pass as a supplementary service like a wider portfolio PSNow - only they could be on PS and Nintendo consoles too.

Comment

That’s going to work out really well for MS when they balance the books on their studios and realise NO ONE is buying anything because of game pass, then they shut half of said studios down, again, and that will be that.

Nintendo and Sony will carry on pumping money back into their in house and making games to sell consoles.

Xbox is going to end up as a service, with the console division being phased out at this rate.

Comment

At the moment that's entirely the way I expect things to go, there seems to be little incentive to buy into the Xbox console experience moving forward in terms of reversing the XBO situation. For most the ease in decision making on PS5 then playing wait and see on Xbox seems a slam dunk as either the console will fail and MS will continue to expand its services to other methods of play or you can pick up a second hand XB4, buy 2 months Game Pass, hammer their exclusives then trade the console back in. Unless your deeply invested in the XBL community aspect then...

Comment

I got a one x to play rdr2 but since the. It’s just sat there. No exclusives that interest me sadly and game pass (my month trial) has the same effect as having an everdrive cart on a SNES; I ended up playing nothing. My own fault because of how my brain works I guess but there you go.

Comment

Originally posted by Family Fry View Post

I personally don’t care about MS’s profit margins, as you say their a business and that side of things is for them to worry about not me.
                              I’ll be buying all the consoles anyways, always have.
                              But it's not even hurting MS profits , the Xbox Division posted profits again even with Game Pass . Next Gen is going to ace with MS really going to take the fight to SONY and match them for pride and power and a ton of studios.

Can't wait to see what Ninja Theory do for their AAA game
                              I

Comment

Originally posted by Team Andromeda View Post
                                But it's not even hurting MS profits , the Xbox Division posted profits again even with Game Pass . Next Gen is going to ace with MS really going to take the fight to SONY and match them for pride and power and a ton of studios.

Can't wait to see what Ninja Theory do for their AAA game
                                I
                                1. You don’t know that it’s not hurting their profits
                                2. It might be hurting the profits of developers, in which case they’ll stop developing for Xbox and that’s bad for the entire industry

Comment

Working...
                                X