Playstation 5: Thread 01

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by replicashooter View Post
    Given the way gaming is headed it doesn't appear that there will be much in the next gen aimed at the offline, single player anti social types who like buying a complete game in one go instead of being drip fed and bled.

And thats why I'll probably buy the next incarnation of the Switch instead.
    Aye and I'll get a Saturn or 360 something I didn't get.

Or perhaps revisit PlayStation.

Comment

Originally posted by Anpanman View Post
      Aye and I'll get a Saturn or 360 something I didn't get.

Or perhaps revisit PlayStation.
      Yep, there is so much gaming out there to be had on various platforms that are still "modern" in that sense. Was just playing MGS4 and was stunned at how it is graphically even though the frames take a hit every now and then. I see more of that happening in the next gen as the consoles will try and twinkle in 4K but just don't have the grunt to pull it off.

A solid 1080p/60FPS generation would be dope but nope, they wanna push the bling and folks just lap it up anyway. Smoothness people, smoothness.

Comment

i'd happy if they at least offer performance modes we see quite bit on the pro's big release in 4k.

Comment

I heard some rumblings they will announce PS5 late this year 2018, but I have my doubts and think more 2019/2020. I have a feeling PS5 will have Dolby Vision support, which is a bit annoying for me as my current 4K TV only supports HDR10. I think it will be fully geared towards making every game full 4K but def 30fps if Sony can make a machine that powerful (No Checkerboarding)?! I know some Head of Sony said something silly about backwards compatible stuff, but PS5 best be backwards compatible as it is all about Eco systems nowadays in everything. Look at Apple and Google for example.

As others have said I think VR will be pushed with PS5 to connect directly to a port built into the machine with PSVR 2.0 being unveiled (if it is lighter and 4K screen/better resolution that would be what I would expect. Just to be clear VR will be sold separately still I think just easier to hook up and play.
          Last edited by JU!; 17-03-2018, 18:41.

Comment

Got me a PS4 pro today. That lasted long 😁

Comment

It's going to be really interesting to see how divergent PS5 will be from PS4. I wouldn't be surprised if we had a very similar pad, a very similar UI and (hopefully) backwards compare with 4 - making it not unlike a PS4 Pro 2.

I'd say mandatory 4K is a lock, and it should include a 4K Bluray player as a result. It will need to use the 100GB discs that format requires in order for 4K compatible games to be available in boxed versions. Of course they could cheap it and use standard BDs with giant 4K texture patches to download, but that would be exceedingly disappointing.

As regards Dolby Vision, it will be interesting to see. PS4 Pro doesn't even support Atmos for games, although I'd hope to see support for it added alongside DTS:X compatibility. I'd also like to see HDR10+ support alongside DV, as that's the free format so should be a gimme.

Basically I expect something like an upgraded PS4 with lots of support added for all the new picture and sound standards that have emerged in the last few years.

Comment

I just hope the PS5 has BC with PS4 and you able to plays some good old PS4 titles in 1080p with some AA at 60fps. The fact we still can't in the majority of the games get 60fps blows my mind. Of course it's because the very weak CPUs compared to the GPUs these machines have but yeah, give me 60fps.

Comment

PS5 being back cat with 4 is a must!

It'll need more than 1TB storage too. It's a pain having to sit there and decide what to delete when I buy a new game in order for it to install.
                  Last edited by teddymeow; 19-03-2018, 16:01.

Comment

I sure hope they don’t consult good ole Jim Ryan when they go to talk about BC for PS5.

When we've dabbled with backwards compatibility, I can say it is one of those features that is much requested, but not actually used much," says Ryan. "That, and I was at a Gran Turismo event recently where they had PS1, PS2, PS3 and PS4 games, and the PS1 and the PS2 games, they looked ancient, like why would anybody play this?"

Comment

Yep, to be honest I'll be quite surprised if B/C features in PS5. They've got little to no reason to do it, especially given the last two gens have shown Sony people are more than happy to shell out money to them for rereleases, remake and remasters.

MS are committed to it though so there's that route.

Comment

Given that the next gen consoles (and current for that matter) are just PCs by another name then BC should surely be a given as they technically won't be emulating anything anyway as it'll be the same old games running on beefier hardware. 5 being BC with 4 is definitely something that would sway me toward Sony again due to the little bump up old titles get but seeing as Sony evidently love money and this gen has proven I don't think it'll happen either.

On the other hand if MS manage to get OG Xbox Outrun 2 running looking pimping fresh and smooth on any platform, I'll buy that straight away.

Comment

Anyone else suffer from a PS4 Pro that’s super noisy. I’ve only used it a few days and the fans are on overdrive all the time (1080p, no 4K).

I think I may return it to the store.

Comment

I find it depends on the game and the frame rate it’s set to run at.

I’ve never had a problem before, but playing Wolfenstein 2 made them go mental, which is an unlocked frame rate iirc.

COD IW or MWR is the same, the game is a locked frame rate, but the supply drop menu is unlocked- so whenever you go into that menu the fans go wild.

Comment

Originally posted by fishbowlhead View Post
                              Wouldn't waste your time, There's nothing wrong with your system and just what the Pro is like

Comment

Originally posted by fishbowlhead View Post
                                Anyone else suffer from a PS4 Pro that’s super noisy. I’ve only used it a few days and the fans are on overdrive all the time (1080p, no 4K).

The Pro isn’t the quietest of systems but that doesn’t sound right. Maybe worth taking it back to compare with another system in the shop.

Back to next generation speculation - Microsoft have unveiled support for Ray tracing in DX12!

Future graphics hardware that’s DX12 compliant will have hardware support for potentially far more realistic effects like lighting, shadows and reflections.
                                Last edited by CMcK; 20-03-2018, 08:49.

Comment

Working...
                                X