Playstation 5: Thread 01

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by teddymeow View Post
    I'm intrigued by the haptic feedback on the pad. How that will work for FPS, driving, puzzle games.
    Ooh, didn't know it had that. Nice! I find the speaker in the DS4 to be pretty cool sometimes, e.g. when BB is crying in Death Stranding.

Comment

I think the controller in the ad for the event that way due Thursday was indeed white, but I do hope there will soon be a black variant as it would look cool. Anyone think Sony will do a customise your own controller thing?

Comment

I'm intrigued by the haptic feedback on the pad. How that will work for FPS, driving, puzzle games.
        Will it get the support? The haptic feedback on the Xbox One controller wasn’t exactly widely used.

Comment

By the way, what do people think about the touch pad? Underused somewhat on PS4 as it was intended, but as an extra button or two it's definitely stated its claim to what is quite a lot of area of the controller.

Comment

I read somewhere (I'll do some digging) that GT Sport has been played with the new controller and you can feel the apex judder on each side of the controller and the gear changes and stuff. Sounds cool.
            As for tricks, apparently, something was mentioned in the tech presentation that people havent paid enough attention to. Dunno.

Edit: found it

http://www.pushsquare.com/news/2020/01/gran_turismo_sport_with_ps5s_controller_is_a_compl etely_different_experience

Comment

Originally posted by hudson View Post
              By the way, what do people think about the touch pad?
              I personally really like the touch pad. Criminally underused as a lot of these platform specific things are. It was really alien switching to playing Destiny 2 on Xbox One and not having the touchpad. Muscle memory took a bit of retraining after years of Destiny on PS4.

Comment

Originally posted by hudson View Post
                By the way, what do people think about the touch pad? Underused somewhat on PS4 as it was intended, but as an extra button or two it's definitely stated its claim to what is quite a lot of area of the controller.
                I like the touchpad. Days Gone is a great example of it being used well. Swiping in the four main directions to navigate to different menus.

Comment

I think the tomb raider games made good use of the DS4 features. The light flickered when you held a torch, the reload and shells came from the speaker and you could rotate the items with the touch pad.

Comment

You mean like the Switch's HD rumble? *hides*

Comment

Originally posted by kryss View Post
                      You mean like the Switch's HD rumble? *hides*
                      It could end up just being that but surely the benefit of analogue triggers on the DualSense means it'll be used more?

Comment

The touchpad was a good idea but, yes, underused. The only thing I can recall using it for was accessing the map in Witcher 3. That was pretty cool though.

Haptic feedback will be GREAT if developers use it well. The little pops and clicks and all sorts that the iPhone has done for donkey’s years are so nice compared to the ‘rumble’ we still get in games. Which is not a particularly nuanced effect, mostly just wobbling a bit when you get hit.

Unfortunately Switch’s HD rumble does not bode well for devs actually making use of the DualSense feedback.

Comment

Haven't they done away with the old rumble though? I think this is just a straight up replacement and will be used all the time. Will be interesting to see how it translates the older rumble in back compat games to the new haptics.

Comment

Would be awesome for SnowRunner.

Comment

Haptic feedback on phones is beyond annoying and the second thing i turn off, after actual key sounds...though it took me until April to turn off the clicking noises on the PS4.
                              I've not thought about how consoles might use it. I imagine I won't notice playing a game compared to writing a text.

Comment

Originally posted by Adam View Post
                                Haven't they done away with the old rumble though? I think this is just a straight up replacement and will be used all the time. Will be interesting to see how it translates the older rumble in back compat games to the new haptics.
                                Yeah, but it'll still depend on how they actually program it to do stuff in the game. They can make it thunder beneath your fingers as you hit the rumble strip at the edge of the track, softly click as you successfully pick a lock, etc. Or, they can make it judder fairly generically when you get hit.

For it to be good, devs will have to invest the time in making the best of it, no matter how good the underlying technology is. But here's hoping they do - think both platforms have got similar setups in this regard, which always helps!

@kryss surprised to hear that - do you mean the nonstop keyboard clicking when you type? If so, I agree that is annoying. But I really like the little pops and clicks that the iPhone does when you switch things on and off, zoom out to the app switching, etc. It adds an extra depth and feedback to everything when done well.
                                Last edited by wakka; 02-06-2020, 20:29.

Comment

Working...
                                X