Playstation 5: Thread 01

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by teddymeow View Post
    Reading that blog post it all seems fair enough.

Wondering now whether to wait and get the PS5 headset or buy one of the TLOU2 Gold ones.
    My gold 2.0s have the plastic on the earpads crumbling away. Cannot recommend.

Comment

We've had MS's financials so how is Sony doing by comparison?
      Bonanza is the answer as Playstation reports its highest revenue intake ever in Q1.

Nicked from Era:

Over $5.63B Revenue and $1.152B Profit between April-June 2020 (Q1 FY20)
      Biggest Revenue ever for PlayStation (and for any platform holder) during Q1

Q1 FY20 Revenue are higher than any quarter of Xbox

Hardware : 1.9m PS4 sold-in during Q1 FY20 (LTD: 112.3m)
      Software : 91.0m games sold-in during Q1 FY20 (not including "download only software titles")
      Highest software sales during Q1 in video game history
      During the past 3 Q1, PS4 set each time a new software sales record for the industry
      More games have been sold during this Q1 compared to all Q3 (Oct-Dec) during PS4 era
      Last edited by Neon Ignition; 04-08-2020, 06:54.

Comment

This is a tremendous hurdle MS have to get over if they want to sell the SeriesX. Even now playstation is selling well even with a new console incoming. The Xbox isn't. People don't want the Xbox One. How are they going to convince millions of people that the seriesX is different and not a continuation of what came before?

Comment

MS do have one advantage... Money. Even if the seriesX flops its just a side project to them. For Sony, playstation makes up a quarter of their total income.

Comment

Originally posted by Cassius_Smoke View Post
            How are they going to convince millions of people that the seriesX is different and not a continuation of what came before?
            I get the impression they are actively pushing it as a continuation of what came before. They seem to be focusing more on how great Game Pass is, irrespective of what hardware you have.

Comment

It is great, but not for the fortnite/COD/FIFA lot that make up most of the gaming market.

Comment

Rumour control:
                A guy on 4chan, who successfully listed everything that was shown in the June game reveal and who recently said a new state of play was coming with no ps5 news has leaked some more info...
                OPEN THE SALT SHAKER NOW!

A new SOCOM is going to be shown with Multiplayer as a focus.
                Some hardware revisions have been done.
                The price, preorders and indepth look will be happening in the next couple of weeks.
                Final Fantasy 16 will be shown and is a PS5 exclusive.

Comment

The PS5 accessories page now has 360 images of them. No 360 of the PS5 itself of course.

Meet the DualSense wireless controller, the innovative new PS5 controller featuring haptic feedback, adaptive triggers and an iconic new design.

Comment

Originally posted by Cassius_Smoke View Post
                    MS do have one advantage... Money. Even if the seriesX flops its just a side project to them. For Sony, playstation makes up a quarter of their total income.
                    It's not going to flop. The Xbox One didn't flop, it wasn't as successful as the PS4 in sell through units but MS have still made a tonne of profit off the back of this generation.

They have of course splurged on infrastructure (cloud) and development studios for this gen which really just cures some of their weaknesses.

I think they'll clearly do well this next round yet everyone thinks there's a console war going on (I'd still argue there isn't one) and as it's perceived as a two horse race if there's a winner then there automatically has to be a loser.

Comment

I mean...it could flop. I broadly agree and don't think it's likely, but it could happen.

Comment

The next gen looks like it might polarise the options a bit more: one about how you want to play ... one about what you want to play.

Comment

Anyone going with the digital only console?

Comment

Looking more like PS5 has full B/C even if Sony hasn't tested all the games.

And I'd agree, Series X definitely won't flop though I'd say the more accurate term is likely to be 'significantly underperform'.

Comment

Originally posted by wakka View Post
                              I mean...it could flop. I broadly agree and don't think it's likely, but it could happen.
                              Yeah ok it could flop, if anything the global climate might scupper the market more than any actual strategy...

Comment

Originally posted by Neon Ignition View Post

Looking more like PS5 has full B/C even if Sony hasn't tested all the games.
                                Yes, Lance knows more than the console manufacture

And I'd agree, Series X definitely won't flop though I'd say the more accurate term is likely to be 'significantly underperform'.[/QUOTE]

Comment

Working...
                                X