No announcement yet.

Playstation 5: Thread 01

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

All the Xboxes have **** names really, you just get used to them.
    Xbox on its own is crap. Literally calling the console 'Box'.
    Then 360...what does that even mean?
    Then One...but its the 3rd console? One what?
    Series X just continues the trend.

Playstation isn't exactly great really. Play...Station.

Sega probably had the best names. Saturn, Dreamcast, Mega-Drive.

Comment

Originally posted by fishbowlhead View Post

Also Sony have been working on some real interesting SSD tech to use the ssd drive as extra ram (slow ram compared to regular ram obviously), but still, it could be a game changer if its as good as the rumours say.
      The latest rumours point to both Sony and MS using the same Phison controller for their respective SSDs so no difference there. It'll likely be something like the Radeon Pro SSG cards AMD started selling a wee while back.

https://www.amd.com/en/products/professional-graphics/radeon-pro-ssg

Comment

The exact same thing happened in the early days of Sony and PlayStation, the US exec in charge Sony USA said PlayStation was stupid and he went off on his own tangent trying to rebrand the console under his ideas and name for the US, then he got stomped on by Japan head office, rightly so.

Only for SONY Japan to bring out the PSX in Japan . Also Steve was giving his marching orders over the price and not the naming of a system .

Comment

Originally posted by Asura View Post
          "Series X"? W
          Sony used to name their range of Bravia TVs 'X' 'W' 'E' etc.. depending on their place in the market. If MS were doing something similar to indicate top end and low end consoles, it would make sense. But having one console called 'Series X' is a strange choice when there won't be a new range of Xbox machines.with different designations in December.
          Last edited by Leon Retro; 18-01-2020, 01:00.

Comment

Television names are almost purposefully confusing. MS should try to do the opposite, really.

It could end up being like samsung galaxy s,1,2, 3 etc for each iteration.

Comment

And in oddest news ever, looks like Horizon zero dawn is coming to pc. Colour me confused.

Comment

Originally posted by cutmymilk View Post
                Television names are almost purposefully confusing. MS should try to do the opposite,.
                But it's not just TVs. GFX cards all seem to use the same base name for the Product like GeForce Or radeon, that's before one moves on to Smart phones and how even when a number is used you have various different models used for than range .

Comment

And in oddest news ever, looks like Horizon zero dawn is coming to pc. Colour me confused.
                  SONY just doing what they did back in the day. I don't see the big deal of it all myself ..

Comment

Originally posted by Team Andromeda View Post
                    SONY just doing what they did back in the day. I don't see the big deal of it all myself ..
                    That has never happened before. Guerilla are an internal 1st party studio, ip, game made by Sony. This is like mario being ported by Nintendo to pc.

Comment

Maybe they want to try and hook some pc gamers that haven't played it, and then when horizon 2 comes out on the PS5 some of them might consider buying it.

Comment

Its obviously something to do with the Decima engine Guerilla use but what the strategy here is I couldn’t tell you. Possible test bed for selling it or giving it away as middleware maybe.

Comment

Its obviously something to do with the Decima engine Guerilla use but what the strategy here is I couldn’t tell you. Possible test bed for selling it or giving it away as middleware maybe.
                          Or is it just trying to put your games in front of the eyes as many people as possible, so more people can buy your games?

Microsoft have gone back hard into multi platform recently and it feels like Sony are about to do the same. Forza 8 only on the new Xbox? No, it doesn't matter, as long as you buy and play it, Microsoft don't care.

It's a cool concept and as the architecture underneath consoles becomes 1:1 with off the shelf PC's then it makes even more sense to expand your audiance rather than limit it.

Comment

That has never happened before. Guerilla are an internal 1st party studio, ip, game made by Sony. This is like mario being ported by Nintendo to pc.
                            The liked of G Police and quite a few Studio Liverpool games came out on the PC, way back in the day. Also technically you can play PS4 games on the PC, via PS Now

Who cares ? PC and consoles aren't rivals . I never had any issue with Sega bringing their Mega Drive games to windows 95

Comment

Presumably, with MS expanding its games onto PC and Death Stranding launching in a few months it's meant Sony has plenty data. The idea of porting Horizon to expand sales and try and nudge more people to play it and be inclined to buy a PS5 for Horizon 2 makes a lot of sense. TBH, I'd expect a few more ports in future but I'm not expecting a single PS5 exclusive to make that jump. Makes sense as a way to monetise previous PS4 gen stuff in future though.

Comment

I would love if Horizon zero dawn would come to PC.

Last edited by dravyn; 21-04-2020, 13:10.

Comment

Working...
                                X