Playstation 5: Thread 01

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Playstation 5: Thread 01

A report that dev kits have gone out to third party developers for the PS5.

Must be an E3 on the horizon.

It's so damned hard for some people to have one year without a new hardware being pushed. If any dev kits have gone out they'd likely bear little bearing on final hardware and wouldn't indicate an imminent release. More a vague direction of intent for 2-3 years time.

PS2 - 2000
    PS3 - 2006
    PS4 - 2013
    PS5 - 2020?

I'm interested in seeing a new PSVR with far better IQ than we have now. The immersion is there, but for me its "sweet spot" is too narrow and blurry.

Comment

I think 2020 is likely the safest bet, presumably November again as it's the popular choice. I'm still doubtful of how much of an improvement over the mid-gen refreshes it will be but the timing seems right. 7 year cycles seems the new norm thanks to the slow down in progression, I can see that lengthening in time too. It'd give enough time for PS4 to get super slimmed and max out its sales momentum as well.

PSVR2 should come along quite a lot though if PS5 hits in 2020 I imagine PSVR2 won't arrive till 2022.

Comment

2019 reveal for 2020 release I suspect

Comment

I reckon they'll repeat the PS4 trick, 2020 reveal for a 2020 release. They won't want the PS4 juggernaut halting before it has to.

Comment

I assume that the new generation of consoles will have a coin slot in the front and Bandit arm on the side.
            In all seriousness, the PS5 is going to have to be knocking on the door of current high end PCs.

Comment

Originally posted by Cassius_Smoke View Post
              the PS5 is going to have to be knocking on the door of current high end PCs.
              I expect it will, for a month or two

Comment

I doubt we see anything until late 2020 and it will be time to move on then. 7 years is more than for any console imo

Comment

Would make sense that preliminary specfications and dev kits are hitting now for 2020 launch. It’ll take a couple of years to get AAA launch titles ready. As much as I don’t think it will happen I would like to Sony go back to the crazy Ken era and release a system with relatively exotic hardware on a bleeding edge process node. And charge £500 for it.

Comment

Originally posted by CMcK View Post
                    Would make sense that preliminary specfications and dev kits are hitting now for 2020 launch. It’ll take a couple of years to get AAA launch titles ready. As much as I don’t think it will happen I would like to Sony go back to the crazy Ken era and release a system with relatively exotic hardware on a bleeding edge process node. And charge £500 for it.
                    Agreed, 360 kits and XBox One kits were set out years before the systems shipped and I think the console this gen have been great in GPU terms, its the CPU that's been a letdown, but I cant see that being a issue next gen, what with Intel and AMD making great new CPUs, that don't cost the earth or need Nuclear levels of cooling

Comment

Intel will never enter the console space, nowhere near enough of a profit margin for them. I think it’s a fairly safe bet the next generation systems will feature AMD APUs again. nVidia aren’t likely to want to do a semi custom for such a small margin either. I’m not expecting systems that arrive in 2020 to be a generational leap over the Xbox One X. I’d imagine we’ll get more emphasis on GPGPU while retaining relatively weak CPUs. 4K TVs will probably be the baseline by then and HDR used by default so a lot of power will be needed for that resolution.

Maybe its time Sony go all in on VR and include it with every system? That’s a powerful USP if you can offer something your competitors don’t and you don’t need to hog the living room TV.

Comment

Given the way gaming is headed it doesn't appear that there will be much in the next gen aimed at the offline, single player anti social types who like buying a complete game in one go instead of being drip fed and bled.

And thats why I'll probably buy the next incarnation of the Switch instead.

Comment

Maybe its time Sony go all in on VR and include it with every system? That’s a powerful USP if you can offer something your competitors don’t and you don’t need to hog the living room TV.
                          That would be a huge mistake unless they somehow get the VR to work inside a cool pair of Oakley-like shades which cost $7 to produce.

Comment

Intel will never enter the console space, nowhere near enough of a profit margin for them. I think it’s a fairly safe bet the next generation systems will feature AMD APUs again. nVidia aren’t likely to want to do a semi custom for such a small margin either. I’m not expecting systems that arrive in 2020 to be a generational leap over the Xbox One X. I’d imagine we’ll get more emphasis on GPGPU while retaining relatively weak CPUs. 4K TVs will probably be the baseline by then and HDR used by default so a lot of power will be needed for that resolution.

I'm not so sure over Intel and even if the consoles used a Ryse 2nd gen or 3rd Gen CPU that alone would see a huge power boost and to me the biggest barrier to VR is nit just the price of the Heatset but the size of the unit and the pain that is the wires. I think when VR tech is just as simple and easy as putting on a pair of ski goggles is when it becomes mainstream.

I'm also quite looking forward to the XBox II given MS legacy programme and the fact that it did wonders with the XBox One X GPU

Comment

That's part of what MS and Sony have to facto in too. We've only just had the XBX release and I still don't believe either company will want to launch a console at north of £400, ideally sticking once again to £350 as a cap. The XBX got away with it because it was an optional, niche enthusiast product whereas new generation hardware has to offer noticeable advancements for a mass marker appealing price. Given 4K/30fps is likely the typical aim for the next gen it does kind of feel like they'll go for a fairly standard CPU again and lean heavily on the GPU side of things, especially if they can just knock out a mid-gen refresh again later for those how care.

I don't see much reason for Sony to deviate much from the approach that's worked for PS4 next time, like TA says, MS is likely the more interesting one as they've progressed to a mindset where it's unlikely they'll repeat the mistakes of the XBO. They really just need to sort out their exclusives in order to ensure they outsell the XBO.

And VR... no way it'll be a pack in, personally I don't think it ever will be. PSVR has been a success for Sony but only so much as any fairly successful game or peripheral would be. Certainly it hasn't come anywhere near close enough to evidencing there's too much thirst across the board for it. It's also still years away from that approach being practically or financially viable, by the time it reaches that point VR will be incredibly old news and will be focused elsewhere. Part of me wouldn't be surprised if VR doesn't come to PS5/XB4 at all.

Comment

Working...
                              X