No announcement yet.

Playstation 5: Thread 01

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

[MENTION=5941]Asura[/MENTION] Ty for the impressions.

Yea, although the wireless nature that appeals to me with quest. Just a bit pricey for me to jump on, but the Link seems like the icing on the cake; opens up games like Elite D, Alyx, DCS. Stuff or experiences that just aren't on PSVR that are more appealing to me.

Comment

VR is probably the one call MS really nailed this gen. It's a big investment in R&D, marketing etc and at this point it's abundantly clear that it's not going to take off in terms of being a key part of gamings future within at least the next two generations. With MS being so heavily on the backfoot all generation with Xbox One it's very unlikely that they would have shifted enough headsets to warrant the expense without having a worthwhile non-Xbox use for it so would have lost a lot.

Hopefully PSVR2, using PS5's grunt is able to really ramp up the performance of the software already out there. As much as Alyx is the peak of VR AAA experiences it's also a somewhat simple game and it feels like it's cemented that no-one is going to commit the resources required to develop more games of its standard because of the lack of impact it made despite doing well thanks to its IP. As much as the better tech would be great, for PSVR2 more probably rests on Sony's ability to get the cost down to the bare minimum in hope of getting traction with it as even the novelty buzz for VR has long gone now so they have even more work ahead of them launching it.

Comment

Originally posted by wakka View Post
        The first game I will play on the machine is going to be Cyberpunk 2077 via BC - provided it works, crossing fingers and toes it does - though.

If Sony allows it, CD Projekt RED won't have a problem with purchases of Cyberpunk 2077 being cross-generational.

Comment

Yeah I did read that, it's great news - but I'm more thinking about backwards compatibility. I can't imagine a PS5/SX version of Cyberpunk will hit until Xmas 2021 at the earliest, and I want to play it before then

I'm hoping I'll be able to take the PS4 disc, stick it in my PS5, and play it. But with better resolution/framerate/etc than my current launch model PS4.

Comment

Originally posted by teddymeow View Post
            What one's that?
            Havok PS4 demo.

Comment

Originally posted by Neon Ignition View Post
              VR is probably the one call MS really nailed this gen.
              I mean, maybe for their balance sheet, but not from a consumer perspective. All of that stuff's their problem; I want VR kit.

Comment

Given the low level interest VR has had you could give them the point for consumer perspective as well. With all their brand power Sony has managed to shift 5m units so its not unfeasible that MS would have struggled to crack one and based on their output probably wouldn't have generated much software support for it themselves either. As much as stuff like Alyx remain a unique experience I'm braced that PSVR2 will appear... but it will be PS5's first key failure.

Comment

I had a low level of interest in VR for a long time. I think mainly due to the cost. I one point, had some cash to spare and made the leap. I have to say, I was surprising blown away. I really hope there's a more higher res version in the future utilising the sheer solid state floppage that the PS5 can undoubtedly fling about.

Comment

I am pretty sure MS will jump on the bandwagon once it really starts moving with VR.

I haven't experienced the PSVR kit personally but I understand it's lower spec than the stuff we've seen coming out on pc recently. The advances in hardware look amazing and there's no real reason why that can't port to the new consoles if the platform holders want it.

Where MS is concerned I wonder whether they'd make their own headset or just open up compatibility with current popular options on PC? I can't see it happening until late 2021 even if it does.

Would be pretty amazing if one of the PS5 first party exclusives was a full VR title to go with a new headset.

Comment

I would have thought Sony will ready up Astrobot 2 for PSVR2

Comment

Imagine if this was it, looks like a knock off NES but this trolling image matches the rumoured descriptions somewhat. Let's hope the actual design has some Cex Appeal
                        Last edited by Neon Ignition; 04-06-2020, 22:26.

Comment

Sweet mother of God what the hell is that?!

Comment

Patent documents got updated today, although could be just for final dev kit possibly.

Comment

Looks like a vehicle from Wipeout

Comment

Originally posted by hudson View Post
                                I had a low level of interest in VR for a long time. I think mainly due to the cost. I one point, had some cash to spare and made the leap. I have to say, I was surprising blown away. I really hope there's a more higher res version in the future utilising the sheer solid state floppage that the PS5 can undoubtedly fling about.
                                It's not just the cost. You need some serious powerfully hardware to handle VR (for say a AAA game) and for me its really the interface that holds it back. It a slight pain having to dig out the VF unit on the odd occasion you actually want to play a VR game (after you've owned the hardware for a while) . The day when a VR headset is just as easy as putting on a pair of sky googles is the day one of its main barriers is gone.

Also, SONY In-House support for VR as been more woeful than SEGA's on the Mega CD. The odd gem here and there while it been left up to 3rd parties to make it worthwhile. Astrobot was amazing thought and better than Mario Odyssey IMO

Comment

Working...
                                X