No announcement yet.

Soul Calibur VI

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Does it have Ivy, and does she have huge Bristol Cities?

Yes to both, and I'm getting this. No, and I'll grab it second-hand in a few years.

Comment

Originally posted by Marius View Post
      Does it have Ivy, and does she have huge Bristol Cities?
      Yes. Though not as big as in some of the other games where it got a bit daft.

More this:

Less this:

Comment

Good enough. I'm in.

Comment

Originally posted by Asura View Post
          That being said, people are up in arms because the game isn't out yet and Namco have already announced that Tira is going to be a DLC-only character. The game's not out, and she's finished, but she's not going to be in it. You have to pay extra.
          One of the worst offenders, if not the worst offender at least in recent memory, is BlazBlue Cross Battle. Sadly it can lead to huge margins and companies arw quick to follow this kind of example.

Comment

Originally posted by briareos_kerensky View Post
            One of the worst offenders, if not the worst offender at least in recent memory, is BlazBlue Cross Battle. Sadly it can lead to huge margins and companies arw quick to follow this kind of example.
            With cross tag battle made even worse by the characters are basically all sprite ripped from previous games, and no new Rwby characters

Comment

Originally posted by eastyy View Post
              With cross tag battle made even worse by the characters are basically all sprite ripped from previous games, and no new Rwby characters
              The four RWBY characters in the game are quite fun to play with. I'm in agreement though that charging for DLC characters that are literally sprites from existing games is a finger-waving no-no for me. I might pick up the all-in-one pack when it shows up in a future sale though (say if it was around £10 as I paid £22 for the disc version).

@Asura, I can see that you like Ivy but what's wrong with Taki/Sophitia/Seung Mina/Tira? Are they not worthy of the ridiculous proportions that Ivy has or something?

Comment

Originally posted by Paddy View Post
                @Asura, I can see that you like Ivy but what's wrong with Taki/Sophitia/Seung Mina/Tira? Are they not worthy of the ridiculous proportions that Ivy has or something?
                Oh this is very much a personal irk. Some people probably love Ivy's design when her chest was at its largest. I just felt the proportions seemed "off" in a way that they didn't in her original design. If they'd thickened up her thighs, hips, waist, posterior etc. and have her get bigger all over... But then we're talking about the body proportions of fictional characters in a fantasy universe.

Comment

Yep, but that fictional universe once at least had a bit of coherence and sense to it... a little. I must admit it goes well beyond the boobs for me. Basically any new design from 3 onwards just doesn't seem like it fits. Even Tira looks like a Batman villain and they started looking like characters from the later Mortal Kombat games. Only with giant boobs.

Comment

No I get where you're coming from. Her character art got to a ridiculous point in SCIV/SCV with them going overboard with her proportions. You could argue that's the same for the other female characters but apart from Taki I don't think any of the other females look ridiculous on the whole.

Now if Namco announces a new female character that matches Ivy in her voluptuousness, well then that'd be highly coincidental for sure.

N.B Where's Hilde btw? Her design and fighting style are both pretty great. I hope Namco doesn't keep her out of the roster in favour of this soft reboot (but Tira and Zasalamel are from SCIII so surely one or two character from SCIV will show up?)

Comment

Originally posted by Dogg Thang View Post
                      Yep, but that fictional universe once at least had a bit of coherence and sense to it... a little. I must admit it goes well beyond the boobs for me. Basically any new design from 3 onwards just doesn't seem like it fits. Even Tira looks like a Batman villain and they started looking like characters from the later Mortal Kombat games. Only with giant boobs.
                      Yeah, I have different, but similar concerns - like the way Siegfried looks like a crystal snowflake in IV.

Comment

I could be completely misinterpreting the intention of the design (because I'm only seeing it from the point of view of a Westerner) but it really felt like, from 3, they wanted to make the designs much more Western and ended up kind of comic booky and sillier as a result.

Comment

I could be completely misinterpreting the intention of the design (because I'm only seeing it from the point of view of a Westerner) but it really felt like, from 3, they wanted to make the designs much more Western and ended up kind of comic booky and sillier as a result.
                          You think so? I'm not sure about them being "more western"; maybe it was just growing pains as we moved between the DC and Xbox 360 eras, and how they wanted to give some kind of visual progression.

It's interesting to compare and contrast it with Dead or Alive, because that game is sometimes criticised for not changing enough from game-to-game (there are people who struggle to pick out DOA3 from the new DOA6). Calibur doesn't really have a consistent style.

Comment

Yep, quite possibly I'm misinterpreting it but what I mean by that is that it seemed to pull away from its beginnings and away from the feel of games that may have influenced it (the Samurai Shodowns just as an example I'm picking from nowhere) and headed more towards Mortal Kombat, Killer Instinct and that sort of area design-wise. Places I feel are probably influenced by western designers growing up among comic art.

Comment

Yep, quite possibly I'm misinterpreting it but what I mean by that is that it seemed to pull away from its beginnings and away from the feel of games that may have influenced it (the Samurai Shodowns just as an example I'm picking from nowhere) and headed more towards Mortal Kombat, Killer Instinct and that sort of area design-wise. Places I feel are probably influenced by western designers growing up among comic art.
                              Speaking personally, I think part of it was the custom characters and the ability to customise character costumes. I don't feel custom characters belong in that sort of fighting game; it starts to blur the distinction between each character when part of what makes traditional fighters appear is their defined characters.

Comment

Yep, I agree with that. And that ties into another problem I had with those later games which is that they seemed to put so much effort into what felt like extras at the expense of the core game. Some of the modes I enjoyed but, each time, the core felt weaker.

Comment

Working...
                                X