Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Atari VCS: "I feel rather fine..." BONK.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Lol like they are ever going to get anything for their money.

Comment

Oh dear.

Comment

If they can't pay the staff there's little chance they can afford the manufacturing.

This project had alarm bells ringing from the off.

Comment

After the Retro VGS/Coleco chameleon debacle i did not think anything would get close but then again I was wary of this version of "Atari" long before the console.

What i find frustrating with a lot of crowdfunding is there is no consequences for really bad mishandling of a project (unsung story game was one the developers abandoned it and another company picked up the project)

Comment

When the CEO is paying themselves $1,000,000 in renumeration a year in a project that's making no progress, I think this is starting to verge from mishandled and diverting closely towards fraud. Time will tell.
            Last edited by MartyG; 09-10-2019, 09:24.

Comment

Well, they're still trying to push this system. Given when it was supposed to be getting sent out, it's going beyond slippage, but if you stump up between $300-400, you could, possibly, get one in time for Christmas. You know, after the PS5 and XBX have launched for what is probably not going to be very much more money for what is likely a far better specified and supported system.

Helpfully though, they've done an FAQ on the system, so we know just how unpowered it is for you money. So basically, you're paying for the nostalgia.

It's running on a Ryzen R1606G, certainly not a junk CPU, but it's pretty much at the bottom of the Ryzen stack with its 2 core 4 thread Gen One 14nm silicon (even Raspberry Pi has decided 2 cores isn't enough these days). No discrete GPU instead opting for three Vega 3 cores (well, you nearly get half the TFs of a GT1030), but still, it beats a Pentium G4560 and at 15 Watts TDP, you can run it off your watch battery**

You also get 8GB of DDR4 RAM and a £12 32GB EMMC for all your storage needs included - if you want more you get to fit your own SSD M.2 (No NVME for you).

Given the specs, it should run a VCS emulator okay, but this is massively, massively overpriced for what it is. Get a RPi 4 for £35 instead.

(**may not be true).

I honestly don't get why they opted to use an R1606G - this is an embedded CPU designed for lower power applications and as such limits its performance over a similar Ryzen 3 2200G (although that would still trounce the R1606G as it has 4 actual cores and better embedded GPU). Maybe they simply didn't want to have to provide extra metal for a heatsink, or perhaps they liked the idea it can support 2 10Gb ethernet connections on-chip.

Just don't buy this. Just don't. You will get buyers remorse - buy the NES, SNES, Megadrive, PS1, PCE minis and a used 2600 from eBay instead - it'll be better value and you'll have change to spend on old 1p chews. It's like the Skodas of old where their value was doubled by filling it will petrol - here you can double its value by fitting a 256MB M.2 drive.
              Last edited by MartyG; 03-08-2020, 16:41.

Comment

Wow, $389.99.

Comment

If this was £99 I'd say go for it, that's not an unreasonable price.

I'm seeing a lot of YouTube videos promoting this with very similar titles such as "Atari VCS Console Crashes PS5 Party" in the last 48 hours - it looks to me that some PR company has been pushing some "influencers" to post these videos.

No one should be paying nearly $400 for this. No one. Ever. It's not crashing PS5/XBX's party - it's the drunk uncle bashing on the window outside who's about to have the blinds closed on them and the police called to remove them from the grounds.
                  Last edited by MartyG; 25-10-2020, 11:49.

Comment

One has to wonder why they'd launch their console at the same time when PS5 and XBX will be fighting for any decimal percentage of market share...at a price point higher than the XBS. This sounds like a tax scam or something, or a way to scam Indiegogo backers by not delivering what they've already paid for.

Comment

Because you can't buy the PS5 and XBX/XBS as it's sold out but "Atari" (because it's not really anything at all to do with Atari in anything but trademark) might be able to pick up a few sales from the unaware seeing "new conole from Atari".

Comment

No one knows who the hell Atari are any more.

Comment

The target audience has to be the 40-50 something, who had an Atari, who likes to get new tech. I can imagine them sitting there like...

Comment

Nowadays Atari is not a name i associate with anything of quality. Kind of ironic considering what Atari means in japanese

Comment

It managed to raise $3 million on an Indiegogo campaign - there's clearly people out there prepared to spend money on something with an Atari badge.

Comment

Well i hope they all aren't expecting anything for that money as nothing will come of this it will just get dragged out for years then just vanish the fact they used indienogo is telling as it's pretty much a dumping ground for scam artists.

Comment

Working...
                                X