This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ghost Recon: Wildlands
    Either I'm getting burnt out on Ubisofts open world design or this is the ultimate culmination on them making a world designed with soulless distractions in abundance. Ironically, it plays pretty well, even the driving handles better than in Watch Dogs. The issue is it's very quickly hard to maintain interest as it's very repetitive and feels like simply a checklist to tick off, it just all feels very pointless. They're decent at making open world games but I feel like they need to make less of them, in hope of making them stronger as if you mix the various strengths of each series attempts theirs potential to grasp towards Rockstars star but it's too often jack of all trades and lacking in mission design strength. This currently feels like the culmination of generic Ubi-design.

Comment

Far Cry 5. In reaction to Supes I'd say FC5 has one of the most fun open worlds I've played in. It's one of those games I plan to switch off as soon as I've completed my current objective, but I never do. there's always something pulling me back in, whether structured or not, sometimes I just want to know what's waiting round the next bend.

I haven't played masses of Ubisoft games in my time so I'm unlikely to feel the fatigue of over-familiarity. But when they're on form they make genuinely fun experiences.

I'm about done with the third of the map I chose to explore first. Hoping the other areas stamp their own identity, even just a little. But either way: God of War and Yakuza 6 will have to wait.
      Last edited by Atticus; 24-04-2018, 13:55.

Comment

I actually find the main games less interesting than the initial exploration of the map.
        RDR is possibly an exception, but definitely had fun hunting and gathering rather than gunfights.
        Fallout, GTA and so on are the same.

I'm still hammering Sleeping Dogs, but only did the first few missions whilst I do all the side activities and explore the map.
        No wonder these games take me so bloody long to complete!

Comment

I think part of it is going from FC5 to WD2 to GR:W in a row but Wildlands world is huge though without much in the way of distraction.

Comment

More Far Cry 5: One area boxed off 100%, now on the hunt for sibling no 2. Still great fun.

Plus some great local multi-player sessions on the Switch with the brilliant Arms and Bomberman R.

Comment

Originally posted by QualityChimp View Post
              A bit more Sleeping Dogs. I've found all but three jade statues (they're hidden in missions), all the health shrines and beaten all the fight clubs with a ten kill streak.

It appears none of my online friends have played this as I used to love seeing the stats pop up to show who'd done the longest wheelie and so on.
              I have, so either it's not showing you...or you and I are not friends

Comment

Originally posted by kryss View Post
                I have, so either it's not showing you...or you and I are not friends
                Hmmm... I think it's because we're in the Monster Hunter: World alliance that it shows when you're online when playing that, but maybe we're not PSN friends!

Nah, I've just looked and I'm pretty sure we are?

I wonder why it's not showing. You deffo played the PS4 version?

Comment

Yup, not for a year or so, but I fired it up for Halloween 2016 to play Nightmare at Northpoint.

Comment

Hmmm... that's weird.

Comment

I'll poke it later and see.

Comment

Super Mario 3Deez Nutz Land and really enjoying it too.

The stages are so well set although I’ve nearly finished it and found it quite easy although I haven’t went all out nerd for the gold coins and all that. Think I might try the Wii U version after but the fact that the smegging game pad just mirrors the screen and you can’t turn it off really miffed me for some reason.

Thankfully there is a home brew hack that allows you to turn off the game pad screen whilst still using its inputs so I’ll have to get a memory card and install cfw at some point. In related news the Wii U is a fantastic console, can see it becoming a cult item at some point.

Comment

Originally posted by replicashooter View Post
                          Super Mario 3Deez Nutz Land and really enjoying it too.

The stages are so well set although I’ve nearly finished it and found it quite easy although I haven’t went all out nerd for the gold coins and all that. Think I might try the Wii U version after but the fact that the smegging game pad just mirrors the screen and you can’t turn it off really miffed me for some reason.

Thankfully there is a home brew hack that allows you to turn off the game pad screen whilst still using its inputs so I’ll have to get a memory card and install cfw at some point. In related news the Wii U is a fantastic console, can see it becoming a cult item at some point.
                          Blowing the controller to move platforms and stuff is quite cool. The touch elements also come in handy at times.

Comment

I didn’t even get that far. I loaded it up, started the first level and found the mirrored display very distracting and then saw you couldn’t turn it off and got the 3ds version instead.

A startic screen that activated when needed would’ve been a much better option than just draining the battery for no reason.

Comment

Yeah it’s an example of how poorly implemented the game pad often is. The Bayonetta games also mirror the TV at all times with no option to disable it to save battery. On the other hand, DK Tropical Freeze shuts it off altogether, which makes more sense but makes you wonder why Nintendo bothered to base a console around a feature some of their own tent pole games ignore entirely.

I don’t really understand why games didn’t just it for the display of basic information and menu navigation without pausing. That at least would’ve been moderately useful.

The games that use it best are probably MK8 and Windwaker. Both use it to display a map. At best it’s a map screen, basically.

On a side note, I played BOTW on WiiU and felt a bit disappointed that we got a gimped version of what might have been. It would’ve worked so well if the map had been on the gamepad screen - but there’s no way Nintendo would ever have implemented any gamepad features after the decision to also release on Switch, for fear the WiiU version might be deemed ‘definitive’.
                              Last edited by wakka; 26-04-2018, 23:12.

Comment

Deus Ex HR on the wii u was a dream to play as the second screen implementation was perfect and added so much to the game like using augmented reality to see through walls on the tv as well as the map and hacking parts.

So awesome.

But so few used the potential of that second screen properly which is a shame as it literally could’ve changed the game.

Comment

Working...
                                X