This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Pinball Dreams
    Last edited by Leon Retro; 21-05-2019, 10:36.

Comment

I’ve been replaying Life Is Strange. Interesting to revisit it after replaying Before The Storm because it highlights what Before The Storm improves. Some things are just technical, such as the lip sync which is far, far better in BTS but the core thing is the writing. While I always loved the story in Life Is Strange, some of the dialogue is really cringy. BTS is far superior as far as writing in concerned. And some of its more gamey stuff is a bit of a chore, feeling a bit like an old point and click game. Whereas BTS gives focus to the narrative and knows that’s where the strength is.

Still, I still love Life Is Strange all these years later.

Comment

Had a go at the latest Ace Combat last night. It’s great, solid fun. Even a lapsed gamer like me managed to pick up the controls within a short space of time.

Comment

Can't wait to play that in VR, Prin.

I completed the main story of RDR2 and started the epilogue.

I found myself doing Virtual chores and getting nagged at by my virtual wife.

She's finally left me, so I can crack on with some rootin', tootin' shootin'.

The extra map that's unlocked is mahoosive !
          I'm back to explorin'!

Comment

Started red dead 2 yesterday as it’s been sat sealed ever since I got my PS4. The install size is obscene I had to delete a few games to make room for it. Played up to where they make second camp and are heading out to valentine, I went into town explored a bit, rescued my skanks from the alleyway and the hotel and then just saved my game and quitter out, need to come back to it when I’m really in the mood as the story is very dull so far, the controls are clunky and the fact if you even breathe at someone in town the wrong way you get them shooting at you then the damn wanted meter starts going off. Some idiot towns person walked in front of my horse and he got bumped so he starts shooting at me like it was a full on assault against him, it’s stupid and very annoying. Doesn’t help that the game just throws new controls up on the screen for mere moments leaving you just enough time to do poorly as you fumble along trying to remember what the hell does what.

By that point I’d had enough and uninstalled it and reinstalled the other games I took off, it’s graphically fantastic but Jesus it left a terrible first impression. When I run out of games to play I may go back, as the environment may be fun to explore as I do love survival games in fact I ended up restarting subnautica from the beginning and played that for most of the afternoon. A hell of a lot easier to play through when you know what to do got up and running in no time at all now to start making a base so I can take care of thirst & hunger.

Comment

Originally posted by importaku View Post
              Started red dead 2 yesterday as it’s been sat sealed ever since I got my PS4. The install size is obscene I had to delete a few games to make room for it. Played up to where they make second camp and are heading out to valentine, I went into town explored a bit, rescued my skanks from the alleyway and the hotel and then just saved my game and quitter out, need to come back to it when I’m really in the mood as the story is very dull so far, the controls are clunky and the fact if you even breathe at someone in town the wrong way you get them shooting at you then the damn wanted meter starts going off. Some idiot towns person walked in front of my horse and he got bumped so he starts shooting at me like it was a full on assault against him, it’s stupid and very annoying. Doesn’t help that the game just throws new controls up on the screen for mere moments leaving you just enough time to do poorly as you fumble along trying to remember what the hell does what.

I initially couldn't stand Red Dead 2 either but I returned to it after a 3 month break from gaming and now regard it as one my favourite games of all time. It's not perfect by any means, and has it's share of idiosyncratic design and control choices but if you can approach it with an open mind and accept it for what it is rather than what you expect then you may be able to enjoy it. It's no exaggeration to say it has the best world of any game. It was so good that I haven't really been able to enjoy playing anything else since, and I wouldn't be surprised if doesn't turn out to be the game that killed gaming for me.By that point I’d had enough and uninstalled it and reinstalled the other games I took off, it’s graphically fantastic but Jesus it left a terrible first impression. When I run out of games to play I may go back, as the environment may be fun to explore as I do love survival games in fact I ended up restarting subnautica from the beginning and played that for most of the afternoon. A hell of a lot easier to play through when you know what to do got up and running in no time at all now to start making a base so I can take care of thirst & hunger.
              I initially couldn't stand Red Dead 2 either but I returned to it after a 3 month break from gaming and now regard it as one my favourite games of all time. It's not perfect by any means, and has it's share of idiosyncratic design and control choices but if you can approach it with an open mind and accept it for what it is rather than what you expect then you may be able to enjoy it. It's no exaggeration to say it has the best world of any game. It was so good that I haven't really been able to enjoy playing anything else since, indeed I wouldn't be surprised if doesn't turn out to be the game that killed gaming for me.
              Last edited by Zen Monkey; 22-05-2019, 10:53.

Comment

[MENTION=39]importaku[/MENTION], I completely agree with what you're saying.
                Several times at the start, I was getting in trouble for nothing, like looking at a wanted poster to start a bounty mission, but the sheriff was sat next to it. He stood whilst I was in the reading animation, so thought I was ramming him and ended up being chased out of town!

However, as you settle in, learn the controls, and start managing those idiosyncrasies, you soon find yourself immersed in it.
                I've spent hours just wandering around the map finding little scenes of life that make the world so interesting.

The game really is beautiful. Even now, I'm finding the environment stops me in its tracks.
                A sunset over the ocean, standing atop a mountain watching sunbeams lighting the distant valley, snow falling around you or a thunderstorm lighting up the sky.

That'd be nice on its own, but as you spend time with Arthur and get to shape his actions - a good or bad man - you find yourself caring about what happens to him and found it quite emotional at times, which is so rare in a videogame.

It's not perfect, but it's a fabulous example of what videogames can be.

This isn't normally your thing, mate, so bravo for giving it a try at least.
                If you devote some time to it, you may find yourself loving it too.

Comment

Just finished Half Life 2. Thought the last level was gonna outstay its welcome but thankfully it doesn't go on too long. Now on Episode One...oh god it's the bloody Citadel *again*...

Comment

Technically RDR2 was great, but storyline was poor and the chapter settings with advancing timeline suited small locked in levels, rather than a huge landmass. It was like a giant hub with missions tacked awkwardly on.

I thought the end game was the best bit.

Comment

I need to crack on with RDR2's epilogue, but after watching Brawl in Cell Block 99, I needed a chill out so popped on Absolute Drift.

Turns out it was still pretty stressful! Should've played the freeplay mode rather than the challenges.

Picked it up again last night and did the last few levels but still have a few challenges to complete. Great little game!

Comment

Seeing as no mans sky finally turned up the other day been putting a scary amount of hours in without even trying. No idea how bad the vanilla version was but in its current form it’s awesome. Loving the survival crafting it’s just like subnautica where you’re plopped onto a planet and you have to explore and survive. Each planet I have explored has had a load of stuff to do wether it’s cataloging the wildlife for nanites to spend or trying to repair and upgrade my current tech with the stuff laying around on the planets. So far played upto the point I can finally craft a warp cell to jump star systems and that’s when it floored me, I sat there on the galaxy map screen dumbfounded at the volume of systems in every direction thousands of dots each one with a name and able to travel to the only thing limiting me is my ship and my warp drive with finding crafting the right technology I should be able to explore to my hearts content it’s almost overwhelming the amount of stuff to do it’s going to keep me occupied for years at this rate.

Comment

This weekend any time will likely go on Rage 2

Comment

When I'm not on the VR fairway I'm playing Pinball FX3. This is super highly polished videogame pinball and it's really got my interest again. Anyone with even a vague interest should download the game for FREE as it comes with a FREE Williams table (Fish Tales). That's right, FREE! It's a really great table too. So if you like pinball even a little bit, try it for nothing, I did, and now I have a few tables to choose from (Williams pack 3 currently on offer on PlayStation Store).

Comment

Originally posted by Atticus View Post
                              When I'm not on the VR fairway I'm playing Pinball FX3. This is super highly polished videogame pinball and it's really got my interest again. Anyone with even a vague interest should download the game for FREE as it comes with a FREE Williams table (Fish Tales). That's right, FREE! It's a really great table too. So if you like pinball even a little bit, try it for nothing, I did, and now I have a few tables to choose from (Williams pack 3 currently on offer on PlayStation Store).
                              Arl give this a gan, is it like that one that used to be on the 360 with the arcade building, I was good at that!

Comment

Originally posted by vanpeebles View Post
                                is it like that one that used to be on the 360 with the arcade building, I was good at that!
                                It offers a sim experience (in Classic mode) like that did and also an augmented version of the table, with added bells and whistles and animations and stuff. Well worth a look vp

Comment

Working...
                                X