Far Cry 5

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Far Cry 5

Last night I had just enough time to go through the opening intro of the game and to properly set it up for my system (PC).

So, Far Cry 5 finds you as a rookie cop called... Rookie, in a small American backwater town. You're headed out in a Helicopter with the Sheriff and a US Marshall to arrest the Father, leader of a local mass religious cult. Things naturally go south and the game opens with you on the run for your life.

The benchmarking tool for the game wasn't that good, I found it set most settings to High and that kept the game running at 1080p 34-40fps. A few minutes tinkering manually and then rerunning the benchmark and I soon as every worthwhile settings on high with the game running at 4K 60fps. Visually, there's not much to say ironically despite the numerous visual showboating trailers the game has received. The colour scheme is pretty muted compared to what I'd expected and it's a pretty old looking game in several ways. It's more pushing for functional than anything else but it does the job.

The opening mission only gives you a taster of the gameplay, mostly focused on shooting a couple of enemies, running and shooting out of a moving vehicle window. The game feels fine to control (via controller) but immediately you do get the 'more of the same' vibe reviews mentioned rather than it looking like the more bombastic fresh injection the series needed.

Very early days though, so we'll see if it maintains that vibe of being too close for comfort to the previous entries.
    1 - The Red, White and Feelin' Blue
    0%
    0%
    0%
    0%
    5 - Liberty Belle
    0%
    0%
    0%
    0%
    0%
    10 - In Far Cry We Trust
    0%

The map looks pretty hefty.
    This video takes almost 5 minutes to cross the map in a cropduster.

Comment

Also, here's a feature on the Arcade Editor:
      So what is Far Cry Arcade? It's included as part of Far Cry 5 and it adds a whole other dimension to the game. Let's jump in.

Comment

Absolutely loving this. Apparently the campaign can be completed in 25 hours. I've put in over 30 and have only just left the first main area. Such good fun.

Comment

I've enjoyed what I've played of it so far (out of the starting area and completed a few missions). It's absolutely gorgeous game, and runs flawlessly on the Xbox One X (apart from the screen tearing on the map). Love the gun play, graphics and more organic questing structure.

But I can't stand the enemy respawning. It's such a mess. If you go anywhere near a road you get load of baddies come at you and continuously quiet moments are just punctured in this game. In this sense I actually enjoyed Ghost Recon Wildlands more because whilst there's load of enemies in that too, it feels more restrained than this. Also despite what some are saying the limited money is a crappy MTX system. Although you can ignore it, it's definitely impacted the design even slightly and this isn't a Live service/GaaS - so it just shouldn't be here.

Comment

Originally posted by Paulos G View Post
            Absolutely loving this. Apparently the campaign can be completed in 25 hours. I've put in over 30 and have only just left the first main area. Such good fun.
            It can be finished in 10 minutes.

Comment

Probably put 10-12 hours in.Loving the game.Looks excellent on the X in 4K

Comment

Originally posted by BIG EDD View Post
                Probably put 10-12 hours in.Loving the game.Looks excellent on the X in 4K
                Yep, native 4K too . Fab game, just so much fun and the online co-op is a riot too
                Last edited by Team Andromeda; 01-04-2018, 13:34.

Comment

Originally posted by Team Andromeda View Post
                  Yep, native 4K too . Fan game, just so much fun and the online co-op is a riot too
                  I thought it was 1800p?

Comment

Digital Foundry confirmed it is native 4K on Xbox One X. Can't remember about PS4 Pro but it is in their video.

Comment

Anyone tried multiplayer / arcade yet?

I've held off buying this until it goes on sale. I enjoyed FC3 but FC4 was a cookie cutter release (with elephants), I then skipped Primal entirely due to franchise fatigue. The though, I know what to expect given reviews but none of them have really covered the multiplayer or user content.

If the gun play is decent I'm hoping the multi is actually worth a look this time when it hasn't been previously.

Comment

I'm around 1/3 of the way through the third leaders territory so in the close third of the game now. If I'm pushed I'd say this edges FC3 out as the best entry though it's a refinement of the series rather than bringing anything really new. It could do with more mission inventiveness rather than so many repetitive filler objectives. They're mostly not too bad but when you reach a point where you need to edge up the bar to trigger the confrontation missions it becomes a bit of a chore.

Comment

Turns out I've put 68 hours into this since it was released 8 days ago. Yes I do have a life, thanks for asking!

So, negatives. I've had a few glitches. 'In a Ubisoft game? Surely not!', I hear you cry. Yes. It's true. However, all the glitches have happened in co-op or multiplayer. Stuff like getting stuck in a box, falling through scenery, Arcade Mode not registering kills, Arcade Mode level resetting to zero and the game failing to connect as it says my ethernet cable is disconnected. I don't use an ethernet cable.

That aside, I'm loving this game. Open world games very often don't do it for me. This one does. Just wandering around is a delight. Never takes long to stumble across something of interest. It's just such good fun.

Comment

Of the core missions I only have the final one left to do tonight so it seems I've experienced more than enough to grant this entry an 8/10. It's solid stuff, definitely a culmination of the series rather than a progression. It gets a bit repetitive as it gets into the second half, never properly embracing the hints of OTTness that would have allowed them the variety to keep things fresher. But it's a solid round up that leaves the franchise in a strong place for a sixth entry that would need to progress things much further to be worthwhile. I've enjoyed it though, I think I've enjoyed it more than any other 2018 release so far though I appreciate MH:W's accomplishments more.

Comment

His brothers are down and his sister is down,i’m coming for you Joseph Seed and will bring you down
                              Absolutely loving this

Comment

Working...
                              X