No announcement yet.

3D - The Third Dimension

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Thanks to the beautiful [MENTION=5490]wakka[/MENTION], I watched Spider-Man: Into the Spider-Verse yesterday with the kids.

Holy smokes, not only is this an amazing film, but it's astonishing in 3D. Astonishing.

It's an emotional, funny and thrilling story that had us all gripped, but those 3D visuals just elevate it to something else.
    I'm so pleased I waited to see it in 3D first, but this is definitely worth adding to your collection if you're a 3D fan.

I don't understand why this wasn't released in 3D in the UK or US as it's a real benchmark for 3D films.

Comment

What 3D version did you get?

Comment

Originally posted by Dogg Thang View Post
        What 3D version did you get?
        Long story short, I wanted the Italian version, so ordered it off Amazon Italy, but it was the German version (German onscreen speech bubbles).

Lovely Wakka got me the Spanish version that has English speechbubbles and speech throughout.
        the 2D version has Spanish speechbubbles, but I know what they are now and I'll probably only ever watch the 3D version.
        It comes with the 2D version with all the English extras and a bonus disc, that I think is a Homecoming promo.

"All 3D releases are REGION FREE and include the original English audio track.
        The only primarily English-speaking country that got a 3D edition was Australia, but there are a few other options if you don't want to import from there. Please note however that the French, German, Spanish and Mexican versions have on-screen text (comic book captions etc) in the local language and NOT in English, so are not recommended. The Spanish and Mexican 3D discs are actually English-friendly but the 2D discs have Spanish on-screen text so again, it's best to avoid those.

If you're going to buy a European edition, the Italian version has been confirmed as 100% English-friendly as have the Czech and Nordic editions. The Indian, Japanese and Hong Kong editions are also English-friendly."

Spider-Man : Into The Spider-Verse 3D Blu-ray (2018) [Region Free] READ FIRST POST 3D Blu-ray and 3D Movies

Comment

They didn't make it easy, did they? I'd love to have this in 3D with English text so might have to look into those options. Thanks for the info.

It sucks that 3D didn't take off in the home.

Comment

No, it was a right faff! Wakka can send you the link he used if you want the Spanish version, like mine.

I might see how this looks using PSVR goggles.

I started watching with my 9 y/o son, but my 4 y/o daughter wandered in and she started watching too.
            We were all gripped!

Comment

Loved Spider-Verse ... I not a massive fan of 3D generally (apart from seeing Coraline at the pics) but I bet this is a film that works a treat, like a comic book come to life.

Comment

@Dogg Thang, do a search on Amazon.es, you’ll find it on there. There are two 3D versions on there for sale - one is German, don’t get this one, and one is Spanish. You will be able to tell if you’ve correctly selected the right one by the box art (one has Un Nuevo Universo on, which is obv the right one, being Spanish!).

I’m hesitant to give a link as I previously sent QC down a blind alley of buying the German one off Amazon.it

The Spanish one is def on Amazon.es though and is easy to get shipped to the UK. Really annoying that the German one appears to be getting sold all over Europe by resellers. I think it’s because it appears to be the most plentifully available.

I watched Akira last night on UHD. Yeah, the DNR is kinda heavy, as reported, but it still looks superb, and the surround sound (which remains the same as older, standard HD Blu) remains outstanding.

It’s an eye popping film to this day, and even though the story does get a bit garbled in the first half due to how much they were trying to cram in, it remains just about coherent and has simply terrific velocity. Love it. Unique film.
                Last edited by wakka; 29-06-2020, 13:11.

Comment

Thanks [MENTION=5490]wakka[/MENTION], I appreciate that!

Comment

Watched a couple of 3D films in my backlog this week.

47 Ronin.
                    I got this as a gift from my wife when I got my PS4, but never got around to watching it.
                    I'll tell you why, that dickhead Usman who got banned was ranting against it saying it was a "white saviour" narrative, but in reality, it just wasn't. I really shouldn't have listened to him. If anything, Reeves' character is the underdog throughout, with only a few moments of begrudging acceptance and he works in a team, rather than the only hero.

The story itself is actually pretty good and it's interesting to see the politics of ancient Japan, but intertwined with magic and mythology. There was one hilarious moment where we see a wolf with different coloured eyes. Then we see the eyes again. Then we see the fox transform into a woman, followed by a close-up of the eyes. Then later, we see the woman and Reeves' character recognises her, we see a close-up of her eyes and, just to make sure, he has a flashback to the wolf and the close up of the wolf's eyes:

Apart from that, it romps along nicely and it's the kind of film that video gamers will like because it feels like a mashup of Monster Hunter, Ghosts of Tsushima, Sekiro, Nioh and all that.
                    Visuals are amazing and there are plenty of flawless CGI shots that impress. Some of the battles with demons really stand out as eye-popping.
                    3D itself is okay and there are a few nice shots, especially the translucent demon monks zipping around.

Overall, it was a good watch. You can pick it up for £1.50 in CEX!

Next up was Dawn of the Planet of the Apes.
                    Struggled with this because I had to watch it in chunks for various reasons, including falling asleep. Classic.

The film follows on 10 years after the first of the recent reboot (Rise otPotA) and sees the apes living in harmony in the mountains north of San Francisco. That is until some pesky humans turn up wanting to turn back on the hydro-electric dam on their turf.

What could have been a simple Apes Vs. Humans battle turns out to be a lot deeper with both sides actually wanting peace, but it only takes one who hates the other side for it to all fall apart. This is where my issue is. On the apes side, it makes sense because their traitor has a sense of mistrust from years of testing in a cage, whereas the human traitor is just an idiot, who despises the apes for no real reason and keeps messing up the chances of peace because he has a grudge. You have to ask why they keep asking him along to ape territory because he's a liability.

Other than that, it escalates incrementally, so by the time it's all kicking off, it makes sense.

I won't delve too much into the story as I think it works best with very little knowledge of it.
                    I do wonder if they're planning on it tying in with the original. I don't think it will, because there's no place in the timeline for Taylor and his crew to have launched into space.

The cast are pretty good. Gary Oldman is pretty muted in this, with no massive rants, but seems pretty rational, mostly.
                    The main stars are the apes, though and they're great.

3D was good. It's a fairly muted colour pallete as it's rainy forest or grey post-apocalyptic city, but there are some nice uses of depth and layers. Another one with benchmark CGI though. Absolutely flawless for most of the film, with the chimp close-ups just incredible.

This one is a solitary pound at CeX!

Comment

Originally posted by QualityChimp View Post
                      47 Ronin
                      And Shibasaki Kou (the actual psycho from Battle Royale) is rather attractive.

But then so is Keanu :love:

Comment

Slightly off-topic, but I really enjoyed the Trine games.
                        I played the first two and they're 2.5D puzzle platformers.

They're in 3D, so they'd work with PSVR or glasses.
                        There are various bundles:
                        1&2 £4.59
                        1,2&3 £5.74
                        1,2,3&4 £11.09

I believe that the 4th game is not 3D though.

Just thought I'd mention it, as they're lovely little games, especially the first two for under a fiver.

Comment

Trine is the best demonstration of 3D IMO. Stunning looking games.

Comment

Puppeteer is another good game in 3D. Frame rate isn’t great but it’s very well designed around the technology. The worst example is Batman Arkham City.

Comment

Ltd edition 3D Blu-ray featuring 3D short films, music videos & animations from Enhanced Dimensions 2010 - 2015

Comment

Originally posted by QualityChimp View Post
                                https://www.kickstarter.com/projects...ef=thanks-copy

Ltd edition 3D Blu-ray featuring 3D short films, music videos & animations from Enhanced Dimensions 2010 - 2015
                                48 Hours left to back this.

Comment

Working...
                                X