3D - The Third Dimension

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by QualityChimp View Post
    Ha ha ha, I can picture you and Blobcat in the cinema and her regularly looking over at you in her oversized 3D IMAX glasses as you quietly seethe at everything appearing on the screen.

That's actually exactly what I thought last night as I watched it, though.
    "Why do the Space Invader thingies suddenly need thrusters when then didn't 30 odd years ago?"
    The thing is, we kinda loved it at the time, because of the whole IMAX thing and the amazing sound quality which really made the Daft Punk music sing (we're both fans of Daft Punk). Just afterwards, when we were leaving, we talked about how in that setting, it was a great "event movie" but we had little desire to watch it on Blu-Ray later (though we still have the original Tron).

Comment

Tron Legacy is one of my favourite films. Yeah, it flags in the third quarter but it's a gorgeous film. I have watched it at least ten times on Blu-ray after a couple of cinema watches. It has to be one of the best looking and best sounding movies ever made.

Comment

Originally posted by Dogg Thang View Post
        Tron Legacy is one of my favourite films. Yeah, it flags in the third quarter but it's a gorgeous film. I have watched it at least ten times on Blu-ray after a couple of cinema watches. It has to be one of the best looking and best sounding movies ever made.
        Yeah; like I alluded to above, I don't think the movie is devoid of value. It just didn't meet my personal expectations. It grossed $400mil so Disney won't have lost sleep over it

Comment

I'm not in a rush to watch it again or see it that many times, but I'd happily watch it again if a mate came over for 3D movie night.

Comment

Did the original Iron Man (1) come out on 3D Blu Ray?

Comment

Pretty sure, only iron man 3, is 3d from all the iron man films.

Comment

I like all the rare old and unusual 3d films. I can recommend Inferno (awesome Robert Ryan film, left to die in the desert with a broken leg), Man in the Dark (film noir in 3d), and Gun Fury(old 3d western). Creature from the Black Lagoon looks awesome too, and It Came From Outer Space is superb in 3d, way better than 2d which I had seen a million times. At one point me and my dad jumped a mile

Comment

Originally posted by vanpeebles View Post
                  I like all the rare old and unusual 3d films. I can recommend Inferno (awesome Robert Ryan film, left to die in the desert with a broken leg), Man in the Dark (film noir in 3d), and Gun Fury(old 3d western). Creature from the Black Lagoon looks awesome too, and It Came From Outer Space is superb in 3d, way better than 2d which I had seen a million times. At one point me and my dad jumped a mile
                  I've mentioned it elsewhere on the forum, but I saw TCFTBL in 3D at the little Regent Cinema in Redcar.
                  It was a great night out and they'd put up jungle vines and things to add to the atmosphere.

Comment

Originally posted by chipsgravy View Post
                    Did the original Iron Man (1) come out on 3D Blu Ray?
                    Like Chipsandgravy said, only #3 is in 3D.
                    Hopefully mum is sending me the 3D disc for Last Jedi for Christmas. Bloody Disney and them stopping 3D bluray releases in the Americas.

Comment

I watched Kong: Skull Island last night after picking up the steelbook.

I had a lot of fun with this.
                      It's a lot less sour than Godzilla (which is still good), so there's a lot of laughs on the way.

Basically, Roseanne Barr's husband commissions Loki, Nick Fury and Captain Marvel to find a secret island, but they also find Wreck-It Ralph/Corpsmen Dey and Donkey Kong.

3D is great, with loads of thought gone into foreground/background and the jungle setting gives lots of foliage for depth.

There are also loads of dramatic shots of people/giant apes being silhouetted against the moon or sun.

Loved it!

Comment

I took on Thanos in Avengers: Infinity War in anticipation of Captain Marvel and Endgame but he defeated me.

I really enjoyed watching the film again, I love how there's very little hand-holding after 10 years of films and it gets straight to it.

The 3D was good, with some lovely effects like the translucent rainbow bridge and the various depths of vision with Dr. Strange's portals, but I was too into the film to be wowed by many things.

Pumped for the conclusion!

Comment

I saw The Mummy last night and really enjoyed it!

At first, I thought it would be Cruise on Cruise Control, but he's actually a bit of a dick in this and I think that works brilliantly.

I'm not a massive horror fan of people screaming at spooky dolls or whatnot, I like action-horror, so this reminded me of a few of my faves like Evil Dead 3, Blade, From Dusk til Dawn, American Werewolf in London and a few others by its almost comedy tones to it.
                          The film didn't go where I thought it would several times and enjoyed it not being predictable.
                          By the end, I was a bit gutted Universal have halted progress on their Dark Universe if they were as fun as this.

The 3D was alright, with some excellent depth in most shots, but because of the horror theme, a lot of it was quite dark and didn't work as well, but the lighter sequences, especially the desert and London looked great.

Plenty of extras, but haven't had chance to look at them yet.
                          Yeah, pleasantly surprised!

Comment

Where is the best place to get cheep 3D movies? I wanna get a few to watch on my PSVR but don't want to splash too much.

Comment

CEX, mate.
                              I used to love going in to look for Hong Kong Legend DVDs, but now it's 3D Blu-Rays.

I normally search "3D" on their website and filter to Blu-Ray discs and the store I'm going in as sometimes they're not on the shelves, like the Kong: Skull Island steelbook I recently picked up in Folkestone.

You can get some real bargains and I'm getting all the Marvel films as they hit the £6 mark, but my purchases are averaging out about £8.

Personally, I didn't think the 3D in PSVR was as good as my projector, but I only dipped in, rather than watching a whole film.

Worth a punt, for less than a tenner!

Comment

I watched Ready Player One last night and loved it.

I waited to watch it with my Mom as she's a big Spielberg fan and she loved it too, jumping in The Shining section and flinching in the race!

So, I love the book. I think that although it's jammed full of pop-culture references, at the heart of it is a great story with characters you care about.

The film is an approximation and you can't fit the plot of a 15 hour audiobook/385 page book into a 2 hour film, but likewise, you can't fit the jumps and flinches of a film into a book.

There are a couple of changes to the story that I think work better here, like the sequence in the IOI data farms, but it's a lighter story. It's worth taking in both versions, but the Wil Wheaton narrated audiobook is brilliant.

As for the 3D , it's sublime and a real showcase for the medium.
                                I remember seeing it at the cinema and lifting my glasses as the 3D effect was so muted at the start, but that's because once Wade enters the Oasis, it goes full-on with the depth and effects.

It's jam-packed with nice use of depth, size and translucency effects.
                                Also, the effect doesn't seem to wear out, which can happen in some films. Even on the final sections, there were massive battles and transparent layers and characters with holes in them and portals all adding the feeling of depth.

I need to watch a "all the references in RPO!" video, but I spotted even more this second time around. There's a bunch of extras on the disc I'll probably watch, but it was pretty funny watching some sequences that were in a studio or CGI, then they'd turn a corner and they'd be in Birmingham! "I've parked my car there!"

Where else are you going to see Gundam X Mechagodzilla?!

Comment

Working...
                                X