No announcement yet.

Sweet Sensations: The Soda and Snacks Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I hope they're planning on keeping 330ml cans on the market, those slimline Coke cans they're launched are such a rip-off.

I'm pretty much solely for original line drinks as well. Diet etc variants always taste awful and it bewilders me as to how anyone could ever prefer them or why there'd be a need for so many especially for something like Coca Cola. Diet, Life, Zero etc pick one dammit.

Comment

I never liked full fat Coca-cola or Pepsi. TBH I never even tried a Pepsi until went to uni. Pepsi Max is my go-to fizz when needed.

However I do have a soft spot for Dr Pepper, the diet just tastes awful. I drank way too much of the stuff at school when everyone was getting into Sunny D which I tried once (strawberry flavour randomly) and promptly threw up as I entered school and I swear it stained the yard for weeks. I rarely drink Dr Pepper now, maybe 1-3 times a year?

I get a craving for Lilt/ 7up or Sprite in the summer but I usually drink Fanta zero when we shop for pop then. Only drink full fat Fanta at Nandos

Change of snack, did anyone ever eat Mavrick bars? Late 90's/early 2000's I quite liked them but my word they were rich.
      I think they did a sketch about someone stealing some in the comedy series Goodness Gratious Me...
      And Green Boost bars - Boost Guarana. They were really really nice!

Comment

I'll give Pepsi Max its due. I used to drink it myself. And the limited edition Cino of about 12yrs back tasted awesome with voddy.

But I find it hard to drink these days. It does the fake sweetness better than 99% of everything else, it's got that softness to the synthetics that's more palatable than the painful chemical sting of Zero on the tongue. Monster Energy uses a teeny bit of sweetener in a clever way, it gives a soft aftertaste like Pepsi Max.

Dr Pepper I'll have to disagree with. The 'new formula' added chemical sweetener crap, removing about half the sugar and augmenting it with synthetic cackanoids. Nah, don't buy it anymore.

It used to be my all-rounder. Now I don't touch it anymore. It's sad, real sad.

Coconut Boosts FTW BTW!!!!!

Comment

PS For the record, I blast a can of purple Monster on the bus every day.

Tried a limited one a few weeks back from a petrol station, 'Pipeline Punch' it was called, bright light pink can. Bloody lovely, nicest Monster I've had but haven't seen it since.

Comment

This is where we're at in 2018:

You absolute sickening PUSSIES. Potential 8/9p added to Scotland's Premier girder-based fluorescent soft drink per 330ml can if it keeps the shug so they sell it down the river like manginas and ruin a 30yr+ tasty tradition by adding cackanoids AND piss Scots off big style.

(makes Tim Allen primal noises circa 1994 'Home Improvement').
            Last edited by JazzFunk; 13-04-2018, 03:56.

Comment

I never really drank Irn Bru. I thought it was ok but I liked others way over it.

I did however love Irn Bru Chews which were sometimes available and free in the Beano some days.

Comment

Yep, I've not tried new Irn Bru yet but the diet stuff tastes like guff so any time I've had it recently it's been the Asda own brand stuff. Pepsi Max is one of the better lower sugar variants but the name should represent more sugar!

A curious oddity when the US still made it was Pepsi Blue

Comment

Whatever happened to Tizer? I used to love that. I guess you'd call it a sassenacks Irn-Bru.

That and Cresta Soda - "it's frothy, man!"

Comment

I still see Tizer on occasion but it's scaled back a lot, I feel I don't see Lilt as often either.

Asda finished updating its new sugar taxed prices yesterday, but some of the best I've seen is outside of that store. 6x Pepsi cans £1 off! Still £3.68 mind. That, and though pricing on this fluctuates often, Hagen Daz at £4.80 for a tub that they're quietly shaved down from 500ml to 460ml.

The trouble is Coca Cola have worked around the tax intentions quite well. So, you have the cans weighing in at many places around 70p, the 500ml bottles knocking 90p and 1.5ltr/2ltr bottles at £1.30+ (I know this will seem uber cheap in some places in the country) but the new 1.25ltr bottles?

GENIUS

£1. Now, given most small shops that people pick Coke up from out of convenience charged that or more for a 500ml bottles pre-tax it means the 1.25ltr bottle will totally become the go-to option for many meaning they continue to attract sales to their brand but consumers end up paying pretty much the same as before whilst in the end consuming even more Coke than they already did. Glug glug!

Comment

The only people this benefits is the companies manufacturering artificial sweeteners and chems. Who I expect are the real reason this has become into law.

So we’ve gone from sugar that makes you fat, but CAN be burnt off by the body.

To, cancerous chems that build up, that the body can’t process or expel, that still make you fat.

Am I missing something in this utterly retarded f*****g ridiculous scenario???

Comment

That's part of what I didn't understand about Coke Zero or Coke Life, theoretically there shouldn't be a market for them. Whichever is the healthier one becomes Diet Coke.

Weirdly, of the Diet variants I find the Caffiene Free one to taste the best

Comment

Originally posted by Superman Falls View Post
                          That's part of what I didn't understand about Coke Zero or Coke Life, theoretically there shouldn't be a market for them. Whichever is the healthier one becomes Diet Coke.

Weirdly, of the Diet variants I find the Caffiene Free one to taste the best
                          It's nothing to do with health and everything to do with branding. They can simultaneously target different segments of the market by giving each brand its own consistent 'story'. Diet is all about female empowerment and advertising yourself as making a healthier choice, Zero is about being healthy in a manly way and being young and funky and cool and carefree. Like, I'm not having sugar but I'm not compromising.

Life is the odd one out for me because I don't really know what the brand is meant to represent to be honest. They don't seem to market it much outside of the cross brand ads where they advertise 'Coke' as a family of products. It's quite nice though.

The story of how Coke came to have two sugar free versions is quite interesting. Diet is actually a sugar free formula meant to taste like the short lived New Coke. When New Coke was canned (ha ha) and the old flavour brought back, they kept the Diet flavour the same as the product was already popular. Zero was developed as a 'diet' formula designed to taste more like the regular red version of Coke that's still on sale.

Comment

I’ll never forgive what the sugar tax has done to Irn-Bru, Barr themselves can get ****ed if they think I’m buying the new version.

Comment

You have no idea how much I’d like to have a Snickers bar, a Bounty and a bowl of Crunchy Nut Cornflakes.

God only knows what they’re putting in Cow feed or what they’re doing to the milk but I’d like an explanation as to how all these people, including myself, are now lactose intolerant or have a milk allergy. I asked my Mum, she’s ancient, they never had all these random food allergies when she was a kid... it seems to me that all this has come about as farming methods have become more and more intensified over the past 50 years or so. All these chemicals that are sprayed on crops and fed to animals are finally starting to catch up with our digestive systems and the end results aren’t good.

#alliwantisstrawberriesandicecream

Comment

I'll tell you one thing that still tastes the same. Lion Midget Gems, they're practically exactly the same as they always even kept the black liquorice ones that I don't like much but keep the experience uberauthentic.

Bright green bag, either a quid from your local petrol station, 69p from Home Bargains or 59p from Heron Foods. A bargain at whatever price. I buy batches of ten when I'm down at Heron or HB.

Comment

Working...
                                X