No announcement yet.

Star Trek: Discovery

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I'm going to hold off on this till they're all out for viewing again but I'm hopeful the quality stays up. It does fit quite clunkily into the canon but that aside S1 was a bloody good opening run.

Comment

The first two episodes have been pretty good, with Pike being a great addition to the show. The show has gone even more Star Trekky than last season so I guess whether that works for you or not depends on whether you loved old Trek or not.

The one negative that both episodes share is that they have tried to put so much into each episode that they didn't manage to really develop the core story of each episode. More noticeable in the second episode because it was a very familiar Trek story at heart but had to race through it to fit everything else they put into the episode and so I don't feel they managed to do anything new with the story. Still, generally enjoyable.

One thing though (spoiler for ep2)...

They were applying general order number 1 (prime directive) to a bunch of humans from Earth who ended up stranded on a planet. Shouldn't this have been treated more like a rescue mission? I couldn't honestly see how the prime directive applied in this case as it wasn't some separate civilisation. If they were only lost for 20 years, would the prime directive have applied then too? And the condition of dealing with them directly was that they would have developed their own warp travel but with only 11,000 people on a planet for 200 years it feels like that would take many thousands of years at best and was a bit of a big ask. When really they were humans and humans have developed warp drive. It would be like applying the prime directive to everyone who didn't directly develop warp travel themselves. The whole premise seemed weird to me.

Comment

Originally posted by Dogg Thang View Post
        The first two episodes have been pretty good, with Pike being a great addition to the show. The show has gone even more Star Trekky than last season so I guess whether that works for you or not depends on whether you loved old Trek or not.

The one negative that both episodes share is that they have tried to put so much into each episode that they didn't manage to really develop the core story of each episode. More noticeable in the second episode because it was a very familiar Trek story at heart but had to race through it to fit everything else they put into the episode and so I don't feel they managed to do anything new with the story. Still, generally enjoyable.

One thing though (spoiler for ep2)...

They were applying general order number 1 (prime directive) to a bunch of humans from Earth who ended up stranded on a planet. Shouldn't this have been treated more like a rescue mission? I couldn't honestly see how the prime directive applied in this case as it wasn't some separate civilisation. If they were only lost for 20 years, would the prime directive have applied then too? And the condition of dealing with them directly was that they would have developed their own warp travel but with only 11,000 people on a planet for 200 years it feels like that would take many thousands of years at best and was a bit of a big ask. When really they were humans and humans have developed warp drive. It would be like applying the prime directive to everyone who didn't directly develop warp travel themselves. The whole premise seemed weird to me.
        I quite like the pace this show has i found it quite progressive for them to come up with a plan and not spend three episodes building up to it, the last season had a similar pace, and kept twists coming thick and fast and I'm glad they have kept this pace going forward.

Comment

Watched the very first episode of this on Friday night at 1am.

It’s canny. The visual aesthetic is very Abrams film, but the tone feels more like TOS/TNG. I liked it!

Comment

I finally caught up with Discovery and finished the season yesterday. This season was generally superb. Pike was a fantastic addition to the show, Spock was absolutely brilliant and the show managed to do what I thought was impossible- reconcile itself with the classic series. Sure, that part was a touch clumsy in places but in others it was perfect, such as the look of the Enterpirse interior, Number One and other details (like future glimpses for example).

It really came together and told a lot of good, Star Trekky stories in the process. An excellent season.

Comment

The first episode of season 3 is out. A new time period and new feel and I really like the first episode although, like the very beginning of the show, I have a suspicion that the rest of the season will be nothing like this. But I like the tight focus, not bringing in most of the crew. A good start.

Comment

The first episode of season 3 is out. A new time period and new feel and I really like the first episode although, like the very beginning of the show, I have a suspicion that the rest of the season will be nothing like this. But I like the tight focus, not bringing in most of the crew. A good start.
                Right away, I like it, because they've broken away from the canon and ran off in their own direction, so hopefully those over-zealous fans can shut the **** up about whether a character's hair gel has the right midichlorian count for that point in the timeline.

Comment

Originally posted by Asura View Post
                  Right away, I like it, because they've broken away from the canon and ran off in their own direction, so hopefully those over-zealous fans can shut the **** up about whether a character's hair gel has the right midichlorian count for that point in the timeline.
                  Ha! Yep. But having loved season 2 and especially the addition of Pike and Spock, I did go in wondering if these changes could win me over. I needn't have worried. And I don't know if it's everything going on and the general stress of current life but I got really emotional at that ending. A character we don't know and was in it for no more than a few minutes and he got me right in the heart.

Comment

Ha! Yep. But having loved season 2 and especially the addition of Pike and Spock, I did go in wondering if these changes could win me over. I needn't have worried. And I don't know if it's everything going on and the general stress of current life but I got really emotional at that ending. A character we don't know and was in it for no more than a few minutes and he got me right in the heart.
                    I think there's something very contemporary about the idea of a world that's going to crap, and wishing that someone from another time - a better time - could come and help fix it.

Comment

I didn't enjoy it as much as I have been. The focus on the "Oh noes, what happened to Starfleet!!!??? STARFLEET IS MY LIFE" got on my nerves and the whole thing seemed a bit cheesy.

Comment

Whoops. Accidental thread lock

Comment

Originally posted by Brad View Post
                          I didn't enjoy it as much as I have been. The focus on the "Oh noes, what happened to Starfleet!!!??? STARFLEET IS MY LIFE" got on my nerves and the whole thing seemed a bit cheesy.
                          At least it didn't rely on tropes like truth serum to produce dialogue exposition to move the narrative forward.

Comment

Working...
                          X