Star Trek: Discovery

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Star Trek: Discovery

“Hell on Wheels” and “Inhumans” star Anson Mount has scored the key role of U.S.S. Enterprise Captain Christopher Pike in CBS All Access’ series “Star Trek: Discovery”. Pike was captain of the famed vessel before Captain James T. Kirk’s stint. With the show set ten years prior to Kirk, we’ll get to see Pike early […]

Season 2 is beginning to take shape and will follow on from the S1 cliff hanger with Anson Mount (Inhumans) cast as Captain Pike who the crew of the Discovery meet up with aboard the USS Enterprise.

Originally posted by Superman Falls View Post
    Season 2 is beginning to take shape and will follow on from the S1 cliff hanger with Anson Mount (Inhumans) cast as Captain Pike who the crew of the Discovery meet up with aboard the USS Enterprise.
    Aww, that's a shame - not that they're getting a second season, that's awesome, but rather they're not getting the Abrams movie actor, Bruce Greenwood. Although it would've been a big ask, I thought they might get him for a smaller role in the way they got Michelle Yeoh for the first one.

Comment

The show is so different to the movies, I think it would have been impossible to bring them together in any coherent way. But I also felt it a shame when I read it. And my next thought was: is it possible we'll have two different Spocks on the go at once? Where there's a Pike, I'd expect a Spock.

Comment

Given Spock should be onboard the Enterprise at that time it would be a massive, massive shame and oversight not to have Zachary Quinto return in the role given he's no stranger to doing TV work.

I can imagine them avoiding doing so though, probably through thinking that they want to avoid confusion with the Kelvin timeline movies but that just emphasises why Discovery and any further Trek content should never have returned to Timeline-A in the first place.

Comment

I can imagine them avoiding doing so though, probably through thinking that they want to avoid confusion with the Kelvin timeline movies but that just emphasises why Discovery and any further Trek content should never have returned to Timeline-A in the first place.
          Can't say I agree with that. I kinda see the Abrams universe as its own thing, and after Into Darkness and Beyond, I'm happy for it to stay that way.

Comment

Whilst the Abrams timeline runs separate it's mostly free to do it's own thing which is why I'd prefer it to be the default from here on. By the time Voyager and Enterprise were winding down the original canon was in tatters as they'd gone forwards and backwards so many times with it. If Discovery took place in the Kelvin timeline then it wouldn't have to worry about clashing with anything. Given the time it takes place not much would be different but it wouldn't have to worm storylines around a minefield of decades of canon. It just feels like for the first year they've had to be mindful of the scrutiny of hardcore fans for no particularly beneficial reason.

The Kelvin timeline works really well as it gives them a clean slate, the main issue being the Abrams aesthetic making little sense and the nature of the films limiting its use. A series set in the Kelvin timeline would be interesting, especially over the coming years and beyond as they take aspects of it so seriously it'd be interesting to see the butterfly effect nature on the canon given how many major effects would still occur due to not being directly affected by the events of STXI. Enterprise is canon to both timelines meaning the Borg are still distantly on their way towards Earth, the Nexus is out there, the Dominion War would eventually erupt potentially without DS9's involvement etc. Best of all, none of the nonsense stuff like 31st century time ships and time cops exists!

Comment

The difficulty there is that, as soon as you add more Trek to that timeline, it is no longer free to do its own thing and so loses that attractive quality. I think the flaw in Discovery is not which timeline it is tied into but the fact that they so closely connected it with existing elements that it matters which timeline it ties into.

Comment

That's the constant issue Trek skirts with. Despite how long it's run for it feels like Paramount feel bound to the Kirk/Picard arcs with each attempt to move away to a wider Trek universe (DS9, Voyager etc) eventually seeing a viewer decline or need to link in somehow. I imagine that's how the awkward proposition of Enterprise and later the Kelvin Timeline came about. Whilst the Kelvin Timeline would eventually go down the same issues it bought them a lot of time, time they seem reluctant to use at the moment.

Comment

Best of all, none of the nonsense stuff like 31st century time ships and time cops exists!
                  If the time cops didn't exist, there'd never have been the excellent Trials and Tribble-ations DS9 episode

I can't say I found Discovery improved particularly towards then end, though some of the latter episodes were better than the first. The finale was bloody awful though.

Comment

the finale is one the worst ends to story arc of anything i've watched, my previous rant was lost in the reset but it pissed me off with all that backslapping for not killing the badguys after they've murdered most of starfleet, by handing over a WMD to religious nutter and hoping she does turn on you or the klingons deal with the problem (surely it can't be hard for them to find this bomb) and start the killing again, specially after they seemed quite happy to murder thousands on board the teran ship.
                    Last edited by Tobal; 11-04-2018, 23:34.

Comment

Finished Discovery and... I really enjoyed it. It's a proper strong effort and I like the style, tone and changes that have been made to make this incarnation relevant. For me, they were mostly nailing it until the Alt-Universe storyline hit which seriously crippled their momentum. It was fine to get through but reeked of being shoehorned in, presumably when the shows episode run was extended. Hopefully Season 2 avoids that pitfall as this was a great building block season to launch off.

Comment

CBS All Access & Netflix’s “Star Trek: Discovery” series has, once again, lost its showrunners. Gretchen Berg and Aaron Harberts, who served in the roles for the first season, are now out with Alex Kurtzman taking over as sole showrunner for the second season. Kurtzman will now also oversee the Discovery writers’ room. CBS TV […]

The show has lost two of its showrunners apparently due to poor conduct

Comment

Doing the rounds is Patrick Stewart seemingly potentially hinting at some personal involvement in Star Trek: Discovery soon. There's also another rumour doing the rounds that two of the first seasons show runners are pitching early work at CBS for another Star Trek spin-off show that would feature Stewart in the lead role once again as Picard.

Comment

First trailer for Season 2

Comment

I’m in. Looks like it has a lot to offer.

Comment

Working...
                              X