Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

[ongoing project] Playing all versus fighters - chronologically!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Fatal Fury: King of Fighters (NEO GEO)

Three more games to go for Night 1….we couldn’t start with just two, right?

We are using a Neo Geo AES with a twin BIOS so we can switch between US and JPN versions of any game, which will come in handy in the future. For this one, we leave it on US.

You probably all know that the dude who made the original „Street Fighter“ went to SNK and made „Fatal Fury: King of Fighters“, which therefore is the true sequel to SF1. This explains why it is also more of a single player affair, or rather a story-heavy fighting game with CoOp feature.

So this is how we played and finished it, while having to sit through rather boring versus matches after each battle against a CPU foe…the arcade machine did want your quarters after all, so either player 1 or player 2 just HAD to go.

This takes a lot of vigor out of the story mode but I can understand why they had to do it this way.

Anyway, the game itself is surprisingly excellent! That tournament atmosphere is just great and it’s refreshing to have a singular city, South Town, as a place for it instead of, you know, the whole world. All stages are stunning to look at…I always joked as a kid that the carpet in Pao Pao Cafe has more colors than the average Mega Drive game. ^^

Seriously, all the backgrounds are amazing with mesmerizing use of primary colors, and they all have three times of day (daytime, evening and night), except for the first one which is inside. My favorites are West Subway and Dream Amusement Park, which is a little bit creepy, but it’s hard not to love’em all!

Character-wise I always found Raiden especially impressive and downright scary….man, that dude’s really lost it!

Also notable are those little cut scenes that tell the story between each fight, and the rain and thunderstorm in the Howard Arena, the third stage.

Despite the focus on story mode, I feel this is an essential game to have played, and a really good one as well. Yeah, its controls leave a lot to be desired, but everything else rocks!

„Fatal Fury“ scored 4 kitties with me and 3 with the others.

Last edited by Samuray; 22-04-2018, 21:20.

Comment

This is such a great thread, I've really enjoyed it so far.

I've never played the first Fatal Fury but I own and love Real Bout Special. I'm tempted to give some of the earlier games in the series a try as I'm sure they have something to offer. Neo Geo gamers can get very snobby about their games and pretty much any fighter that isn't KoF '98, SamSho 2, Last Blade or Garou often gets dismissed.

I knida fell into that trap when I first got an MVS but went back to try some of the earlier KoF games and really enjoyed them ('94 and '96 in particular). They can be a bit stiff and awkward at times but there's still a lot to enjoy. The art work and music in particular are amazing and I think that, while the gameplay got refined and these series went on the creativity waned a little.

As a side note, it's a shame that the early Neo Geo Longplay videos on youtube are such low resolution. That carpet in Pao Pao Cafe looks like a busted kaleidoscope.

Comment

Originally posted by BigDeadFreak View Post
        This is such a great thread, I've really enjoyed it so far.

That's really nice to hear. Thank you!

I've never played the first Fatal Fury but I own and love Real Bout Special. I'm tempted to give some of the earlier games in the series a try as I'm sure they have something to offer. Neo Geo gamers can get very snobby about their games and pretty much any fighter that isn't KoF '98, SamSho 2, Last Blade or Garou often gets dismissed.
        You really should! Personally I find the first FF immensely enjoyable, at least when approached with the proper mindset. And don't get me started in early KOFs! I've had '94 ever since I was 15 and played a couple of others for a little bit way before this project started, and artistically these are way up there!

I know what you mean about those "usual suspects" everyone regards as the masterpieces. They probably are, but we want to see all the other games as well!

I knida fell into that trap when I first got an MVS but went back to try some of the earlier KoF games and really enjoyed them ('94 and '96 in particular). They can be a bit stiff and awkward at times but there's still a lot to enjoy. The art work and music in particular are amazing and I think that, while the gameplay got refined and these series went on the creativity waned a little.

Yeah, see above....I love those early KOFs, and while I can imagine the later ones feel much better in terms of gameplay, each one of those is a piece of friggin' art!

The trap you describe is exactly what we want to avoid. Once we're through the list we'll have ample time to return to the favorites.

As a side note, it's a shame that the early Neo Geo Longplay videos on youtube are such low resolution. That carpet in Pao Pao Cafe looks like a busted kaleidoscope.

But there's an easy solution to that, as it sounds like you already got the proper hardware at your disposal...
        (to see the game in all its glory, I mean; I wasn't suggesting you upload a new longplay video)

Has anyone here ever played one of the ports of FF1? SNES, MD...? I was always curious about those.

Comment

I must admit that the only pre-MotW Fatal Fury I too own is Real Bout Special... this was the one that seemed to be the most highly regarded, and when you’re buying Home Carts it’s best not to mess around. However, cost is no longer an issue due the NeoSD, so I really should give the other games in the series a crack.

So I what are you doing about **** games... are you really going to drag out a 32X set-up for some Brutal action? Or are you just going to stick to generally decent games? It could be argued that the rough comes with the smooth and it’s all part of the experience...

Comment

Originally posted by Samuray View Post
            But there's an easy solution to that, as it sounds like you already got the proper hardware at your disposal...
            (to see the game in all its glory, I mean; I wasn't suggesting you upload a new longplay video)
            I'm severely tempted to pick up Fatal Fury 3 or Special on MVS as they're still pretty affordable these days. However, I've been thinking about slimming down my collection for a while now. I've got some early Neo Geo games that I barely play but can't bare to part with. Decisions, decisions...

Comment

Originally posted by _SD_ View Post
              I must admit that the only pre-MotW Fatal Fury I too own is Real Bout Special... this was the one that seemed to be the most highly regarded, and when you’re buying Home Carts it’s best not to mess around. However, cost is no longer an issue due the NeoSD, so I really should give the other games in the series a crack.
              Definitely. The evolution from FF1 to FFSpecial and then the jump to FF3 alone is a journey well worth taking. But we'll get to that later.

Originally posted by _SD_ View Post
              So I what are you doing about **** games... are you really going to drag out a 32X set-up for some Brutal action? Or are you just going to stick to generally decent games? It could be argued that the rough comes with the smooth and it’s all part of the experience...
              Excellent question, and I couldn't have said it better myself....the rough does indeed come with the smooth. So yeah, we'll absolutely be tackling some titles of questionable quality, and in fact we have BOTH "Brutal" games ready to go!
              Other upcoming highlights may or may not include "Rise of the Robots", "Dangerous Streets" and "Ballz"....

When it comes to 3D fighters, things look a little different though. We'll pretty much stick to the big names there as it is just a bonus and our passion lies with 2D.

On another note, I find the ********* censorship in this forum hilarious! I mean....a big part in importing NTSC games was to circumvent censorship, so things kind of come full circle this way.

I'm severely tempted to pick up Fatal Fury 3 or Special on MVS as they're still pretty affordable these days. However, I've been thinking about slimming down my collection for a while now. I've got some early Neo Geo games that I barely play but can't bare to part with. Decisions, decisions...
              Do it!!!
              No, really, do get them! ....who needs a slimmed down collection? (as long as one isn't in dire need of money or space)

But in all seriousness, every SNK game is such a gem to have....if it were me I'd rather throw out other stuff.

Comment

Originally posted by Samuray View Post
                Do it!!!
                No, really, do get them! ....who needs a slimmed down collection? (as long as one isn't in dire need of money or space)

But in all seriousness, every SNK game is such a gem to have....if it were me I'd rather throw out other stuff.
                Damn, that's the sort of encouragement I don't need I'm so weak willed when it comes to video games, I gave up smoking more easily than I've been able to kick that addiction. I might wait until you get to some of the other Neo Geo fighters and see what looks good. I've always wanted to try Fighters History, Breakers and World Heroes. I've played them on emulators but it's never the same.

Comment

Damn, that's the sort of encouragement I don't need
                  You're welcome!

I'm so weak willed when it comes to video games, I gave up smoking more easily than I've been able to kick that addiction. I might wait until you get to some of the other Neo Geo fighters and see what looks good. I've always wanted to try Fighters History, Breakers and World Heroes. I've played them on emulators but it's never the same.
                  Preacher, meet the choir!

Yeah, I tried those PS2 collections (with a proper Neo Geo stick even) and Virtual Console before I came to the realization that this wasn't doing it for me and I needed to continue buying the "real" games, much to my wife's dismay.

But it's not the same. It's really not.

I feel with you concerning those collecting habits. Right now my family and I are having a difficult time money-wise, so every purchase I make is an internal conflict of mine. I try to keep it low-cost these days ....so many many games I would like are just not possible right now. But that's life, I guess.

And what's here already is providing me with joy everyday, therefore I would always advise against slimming down anything.

Anyway. Those other titles you mentioned are certainly great as well, but there is so little to say against more "Fatal Fury" in one's life...

In case you do happen to stumble upon FF1 I would be ecstatic if you would share you experience playing it in this thread! Same goes for any of the upcoming titles, of course.

It's so great to meet some more likeminded people!

Comment

I find that with emulation I never put in the time that I would if I'd actually paid for the game. I'll download something to MAME, play it for 5 minutes and then give up if I don't love it straight away. Whereas if I own the game I'll take time to try to appreciate it and get the most out of it.

For example, I've owned Samurai Shodown for a good few years now and it's never really clicked with me. Partly that's because I'm playing almost entirely in 1 player but also it's just never grabbed me. Now, if I'd downloaded it I'd have deleted it long ago but because I own it I'll play it every now and then. Who knows, one day I might just start enjoying it as much as the King of Fighters and Fatal Fury games.

Incidentally, I've got loads of nephews and it's always the game they want to play most when they come round.

Comment

It's just so easy to flick between games when they're emulated/digital. Maybe a bit too easy.

I quite like the loading times on the NEOSD for that reason.

Comment

Yes, emulation definitely makes it too easy. If you have the actual game it will get much more opportunity to shine; that "Samurai Shodown"-story is a perfect example of this. And for me personally, having a dedicated cart/ disc and packaging adds at lot to the full experience, although that doesn't go everyone, of course.

So apparently nobody here has played the SNES or MD port of "Fatal Fury"? It's the same problem as with those longplays of Neo Geo games BigDeadFreak mentioned above...all videos are so low res, it's no fun to watch (and also it's nice to talk about things with actual people, like this! )

Comment

I played Fatal Fury on the Mega Drive back in something like 1993. It was the best I could do at the time. I don't remember much, but me and my friends got quite a bit of enjoyment out of it before returning to SFII Turbo.

Comment

Yeah, I played it BitD too. Until SF2 was finally released for the machine, it was the best us MegaDrive owners had in the face of our lucky SNES-owning mates. Still wasn’t a patch on SF2 nor the NeoGeo original.

It wasn’t until FF2 that SNK really picked up their game IMO.

Comment

[MENTION=16705]Samuray[/MENTION] I played MD Fatal Fury long after SF2SCE was released. Had its problems for sure but was a decent enough play alone or 2P VS.

MD version is better than SNES version but that probably isn't saying much.

Comment

Originally posted by dataDave View Post
                                I played Fatal Fury on the Mega Drive back in something like 1993. It was the best I could do at the time. I don't remember much, but me and my friends got quite a bit of enjoyment out of it before returning to SFII Turbo.
                                That's what I find so fascinating about those ports...imagining it's the only version of the game you know, and if it was probably pretty decent that way. Glad you had a good time with it!

Originally posted by samanosuke View Post
                                Yeah, I played it BitD too. Until SF2 was finally released for the machine, it was the best us MegaDrive owners had in the face of our lucky SNES-owning mates. Still wasn’t a patch on SF2 nor the NeoGeo original.

It wasn’t until FF2 that SNK really picked up their game IMO.
                                I know virtually NOTHING about the FF2 ports. Interesting. My focus in that regard has been FF1 so far, most likely because of my emotional attachment to the game.

"The best we had" also applies to SNES owners when looking at the Neo Geo though. My best friend back then was a huge fan of the genre and was, of course, immediately in love when he got to play the AES with me. Then he went out and got for himself ..."Tuff E Nuff". Nuff said.

Originally posted by Nu-Eclipse View Post
                                [MENTION=16705]Samuray[/MENTION] I played MD Fatal Fury long after SF2SCE was released. Had its problems for sure but was a decent enough play alone or 2P VS.

MD version is better than SNES version but that probably isn't saying much.

Wait.....did the versus mode have more characters than the three protagonists? I only saw story mode on YouTube once, I think, but that would be pretty spectacular!

And MD is better than SNES? Hm, would have figured it the other way around for some reason. Cool.

Comment

Working...
                                X