Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Spot on!

Comment

I've had a Mega Drive Mini for years, could never figure out how to plug it into the TV though.

(I think it's from some capsule toy collection, got it years ago)

Comment

Originally posted by Hirst View Post
        I've had a Mega Drive Mini for years, could never figure out how to plug it into the TV though.

Hehe nice. I have one of those somewhere too.

Comment

Originally posted by Hirst View Post

I thought about starting a capsule collection, rather than having the full consoles, but they're quite expensive by the time you've imported one from Japan, you might as well have bought the Mini versions that actually work!

Comment

Actually, it made me have a look and there's a new Mega Drive Gachapon series coming out about £3 each.

"Collectors will definitely want to collect them all, in order to build the infamous “Sega Tower of Power”"

Comment

Originally posted by Sketcz View Post
              Obviously there's exceptions. Yakumo is one, since I seem to recall him doing this from before YouTube even existed? And the vids have always provided information related to Japanese games I wouldn't find elsewhere. But it's like, suddenly there's a thousand PewDiePie/AVGN wannabes, and their whole shtick is not informing viewers, but "entertaining" them with piss-poor comic routines.
              Yeah, Yakumo is a true enthusiast who knows what he's talking about. He had a website dedicated to Sega that was really interesting, and he then made Retro Core videos that he posted links to here. That's all before YouTube became a thing.

There are hardly any YouTube gaming channels that interest me. I find most of them quite lightweight and samey. And the sort of people who become 'huge' celebrities on YouTube don't appeal to me at all. Maybe if I were 10 years old.

Comment

Originally posted by Leon Retro View Post
                There are hardly any YouTube gaming channels that interest me. I find most of them quite lightweight and samey. And the sort of people who become 'huge' celebrities on YouTube don't appeal to me at all. Maybe if I were 10 years old.
                I like My Life in Gaming, since they do stuff like this. But they are exceptions to the rule. Or I'll watch stuff by Tehsnakerer, since he'll play the entirety of really long 40 hour epics, like Sega's Yakuza series, and condense them into a 100 minute film with intelligent descriptions.

Comment

Originally posted by Sketcz View Post
                  My Life in Gaming,

Tehsnakerer,
                  I'll check them out.

Comment

I'll check them out.
                    You'll like my life. In gaming I think.

Comment

MLIG are really good - they do exhaustively go through everything and will point out faults (like lag), but it's done with things like side-by-side comparisons and ultimately letting the viewers decide what option suits them, rather than mock outrage you get on most places. Their videos about display cables for different machines have been incredibly useful to me.

Comment

Originally posted by Yakumo View Post
                        You'll like my life.
                        I'm on a plane to Japan.

Comment

Well thanks to Colin now have one sat here, played for a few hours so far it's a nice thing, pad feels decent and it doesn't feel cheap. The games seem to emulate well but that CRT filter dear god M2 what the hell is that crap, nobody wants dark lines like that it's painful to look at. Hackers job number 2 after allowing games to be added is sort that filter out to make it lighter even the super fami mini filter was way better than this. The main thing that is going to put a spanner in the works with hacking is that damn B button making the spines of the boxes display as finding decent quality box art was hard enough finding scans where they have included the spine is going to be stupidly hard especially spines that arent faded to hell. Also writing some blurb text in japanese is not going to be easy. Wonder if there's a full text set in there or are we gonna have missing words like the famicom mini did.

I'm hoping in time the quirks can be hacked out as it's already a spiffy little mini. well done sega for not pulling a sony.

Comment

Originally posted by importaku View Post
                            The games seem to emulate well
                            Is there the supposed '11 frames' delay, so when you hit a ring in Sonic the sound effect isn't instant?

but that CRT filter dear god M2 what the hell is that crap, nobody wants dark lines like that it's painful to look at.
                            The scanlines on the SNES Mini are perfectly fine, so it's crazy that M2 didn't get such a simple feature right. Scanlines are such an easy feature to implement well. People using RetroArch can have a range of scanline options to suit all tastes. Another reason why possibly hacking this unit will probably make it function better.

I'm hoping in time the quirks can be hacked out as it's already a spiffy little mini. well done sega for not pulling a sony.
                            It really should have been perfect. There are no excuses for the problems reported. Sega can't even give people a firmware/software update to refine the issues.

Comment

Is there the supposed '11 frames' delay, so when you hit a ring in Sonic the sound effect isn't instant?

The scanlines on the SNES Mini are perfectly fine, so it's crazy that M2 didn't get such a simple feature right. Scanlines are such an easy feature to implement well. People using RetroArch can have a range of scanline options to suit all tastes. Another reason why possibly hacking this unit will probably make it function better.

It really should have been perfect. There are no excuses for the problems reported. Sega can't even give people a firmware/software update to refine the issues.
                              I have just put sonic 2 back on and listened closely. As soon as you touch a ring the sound is pretty much instant, it feels the same as when i play emulated on my pc and even emulated through snes mini, either peoples tvs are crap or there is some serious misinformation going around. I'm not an expert on the md as i have only played a core set of games but the ones i have played that i know well all seem to be behaving as i remembered them to.

Had a look online for japanese box art, i'm screwed as there's nothing useful that i can find. Does anyone have a repository of decent quality japanese scans that include the spines? Hell even finding a decent scan of magical flying hat that isn't faded or blurry as hell is a challenge, would like to get all the art for the time when hacking allows me to add them in, it's gonnal look pretty janky if i press the B button and it has no spines to show but empty spaces. I know i'm jumping ahead but i want to be prepared hehe. If i can't find anything i may have to start buying originals and scanning them myself and then selling them on.

Comment

Had a look online for japanese box art, i'm screwed as there's nothing useful that i can find. Does anyone have a repository of decent quality japanese scans that include the spines?
                                It's been down for the last few weeks (not sure what's happened) but https://segaretro.org/ has big scans of pretty much every game you could think of and the quality is usually very good. Maybe it'll have come back up by the time you can hack it. Hope it does, it's a great site.

Comment

Working...
                                X