No announcement yet.

Mega Drive Mini

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I can't play SMW on anything other than original hardware. My jumps are always mistimed. Mostly everything else seems fine, but SMW is my benchmark game. Through an OSSC into both of my screens is fine (4ms monitor and 21.1ms TV respectively).

Looking forward to a MiSTer, eventually.

Comment

Originally posted by Nu-Eclipse View Post
      Also, I personally think that the PCE Mini next year will be the end of these microconsoles appearing. I don’t see Sony going again after the disaster of the PS Classic, Nintendo seemingly have no enthusiasm to make an N64 Classic Mini and is the SoC tech even there to make mini versions of things like the GC or DC or Saturn (genuine question as I don’t know the ins and outs of GC/Saturn/DC emulation)?
      No these small ARM chips will not currently reliably run GC, DC or Saturn well.

One console that is ripe for 'mini' or re-release is Nintendo's Game Boy consoles. Given ODroid can put out a colour screen 8-bit/Gameboy form factor machine for $40 - it isn't unreasonable to think Nintendo could revisit their original handheld.

Comment

Originally posted by Digfox View Post

One console that is ripe for 'mini' or re-release is Nintendo's Game Boy consoles. Given ODroid can put out a colour screen 8-bit/Gameboy form factor machine for $40 - it isn't unreasonable to think Nintendo could revisit their original handheld.
        True, but I find this to be underwhelming tbh.

Surely Nintendo would’ve got this out of the way by now if they really wanted to do something like this? (*shrugs*)

Comment

*bring out the jaguar mini!* A 1000 kettle drums bang as one, as a mini jaguar is wheeled out into the arena. The system has US and PAL versions of Kasumi Ninja.

TA posts shutupandtakemymoney.jpg.

Comment

Originally posted by vanpeebles View Post
            *bring out the jaguar mini!* A 1000 kettle drums bang as one, as a mini jaguar is wheeled out into the arena. The system has US and PAL versions of Kasumi Ninja.

A real money-spinner right there!

Comment

Atticus attempts to mod the mini jaguar controller with a knob from an old wireless.

Comment

Atticus attempts to mod the mini jaguar controller with a knob from an old wireless.
                That would be quite innovative.

Comment

Originally posted by Atticus View Post
                  That would be quite innovative.
                  Indeed it would.

Nintendo should hire you. They could learn a thing or two!
                  Last edited by Nu-Eclipse; 18-09-2019, 10:34.

Comment

Originally posted by Nu-Eclipse View Post
                    Surely Nintendo would’ve got this out of the way by now if they really wanted to do something like this? (*shrugs*)
                    We aren't that far gone from their first SOC Mini. Their consoles were based on the same SOC and as a single board design probably easier to develop. The GB would be more complex and have a higher R&D. Their maybe licensing issues with Tetris or that game proving expensive to obtain as well.

However it may be technically more feasible than the likes of the N64. And I think there woild be a big market for the likes of Tetris, Pokemon etc. And that's why I think there is more chance of a GB 'mini'/re-release.

Comment

A GB mini feels like an inevitability, but then this is Nintendo we're talking about - less than predictable at the best of times (why isn't there a Netflix of classic game ROMs on the Switch?!).

Comment

Originally posted by Digfox View Post
                        We aren't that far gone from their first SOC Mini. Their consoles were based on the same SOC and as a single board design probably easier to develop. The GB would be more complex and have a higher R&D. Their maybe licensing issues with Tetris or that game proving expensive to obtain as well.

However it may be technically more feasible than the likes of the N64. And I think there woild be a big market for the likes of Tetris, Pokemon etc. And that's why I think there is more chance of a GB 'mini'/re-release.
                        Fair points, though I would suggest that Nintendo and The Tetris Company probably have a good relationship if the content seen in Tetris 99 is anything to go by, but I see your point.

I guess the idea doesn’t really enthuse me but that’s obviously just me. We’ll see.

Comment

I liked Kasumi Ninja tbh. Like a classic Horror B-Movie, it was so bad, it's good

Also, the Jaguar had the best version of Power Drive. A much overlooked and underrated classic and now I wish I never sold my Jaguar

Comment

Originally posted by Team Andromeda View Post
                            I liked Kasumi Ninja tbh. Like a classic Horror B-Movie, it was so bad, it's good

Also, the Jaguar had the best version of Power Drive. A much overlooked and underrated classic and now I wish I never sold my Jaguar
                            See, a mini jaguar would be perfect for you

Comment

Nintendo won't be doing anymore Mini's as the whole point of the NES and SNES units was a stopgap until the Switch Online service was ready. All they did was to fill a void in the release schedule and keep their name in the "conversation". Which is why these other companies doing mini consoles are kinda getting the wrong end of the stick with their own versions. Sony didn't have a gap in their release schedule, rushed the Classic out and look what happened there.

What started as a clever marketing ploy has blossomed into a fad, a fad that Nintendo is done with. They are quite savvy I'll give them that.

Comment

Originally posted by Arashikage View Post
                                Nintendo won't be doing anymore Mini's as the whole point of the NES and SNES units was a stopgap until the Switch Online service was ready. All they did was to fill a void in the release schedule and keep their name in the "conversation". Which is why these other companies doing mini consoles are kinda getting the wrong end of the stick with their own versions. Sony didn't have a gap in their release schedule, rushed the Classic out and look what happened there.

What started as a clever marketing ploy has blossomed into a fad, a fad that Nintendo is done with. They are quite savvy I'll give them that.
                                You are 100% correct, good sir

Comment

Working...
                                X