God Of War PS4

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Cassius_Smoke View Post
    I have no doubt the combat improves, there is quite an exciting and extensive leveling system. But if a game is going to grab people it needs to feel engaging from the start, I shouldn't have to level up to unlock some of the more basic fun elements of combat. Other games (FF7R, Spiderman, Nier) have an open combat system that is then built on with more skills and leveling. GoW is an action game that feels like its holding you back.
    Well, few things will give you the awesome flexibility of Nier Automata, to be honest, so GoW will always feel limited and stodgy by that standard. And the elementary combos have always made it a Bayonetta-for-Dummies for people like me who are rubbish at memorizing/pulling-off combos in the heat of the moment. Compared to Spiderman, though, which is flexible indeed but feels quite feeble like you're playing pattycake, the combat and weapons in GoW feels much more impactful. I'm not aware of any other game that does such a good job of making it feel your character is actually hitting stuff very hard.
    Last edited by Golgo; 05-02-2021, 14:12.

Comment

I have no doubt the combat improves, there is quite an exciting and extensive leveling system. But if a game is going to grab people it needs to feel engaging from the start, I shouldn't have to level up to unlock some of the more basic fun elements of combat. Other games (FF7R, Spiderman, Nier) have an open combat system that is then built on with more skills and leveling. GoW is an action game that feels like its holding you back.
      Shield is very important to combat as well which you have from the start.

Comment

Originally posted by Golgo View Post
        I'm not aware of any other game that does such a good job of making it feel your character is actually hitting stuff very hard.
        Thats what hit me the most with this there is a rawness and visceral feel to the combat that really dose make the combat feel weighty and deliberate, it also gets pretty hard later on, i love Nier but am glad that the combat in this game is the way it is. The Valkyrie's are a massive challenge as are some of the later boss fights, you really have to engage with the combat to get the most out of this game don't write it off because its not Nier, it has its own style and charm.

Comment

It's still not tickling me quite as I would like to be tickled, but it's one hell of a spectacle and I'm enjoying myself enough to carry on. Combat remains the biggest bummer, which compared to other character action games just feels sloppy; attacks from other angles are a pain to manage given the lock-on isn't up to scratch, I'm still getting tool tips about bosses ten hours in, and the more regular encounters far too easily fall into a repetitive series of scripted take-downs.

Comment

Trust me when I say, God of War would be a 10/10 GOAT if it wasn’t for the repetitiveness of battles and lack of variation on the enemies/combat, there I said it, I feel a bit better now.

Oh look giant ogre, pretty intimidating.....20 hours later, oh my god what’s this? Oh, it’s just an ogre but now they are glowing red!!! I’ll smash it in no worry.

Also I just have to say the worst thing about endgame challenges opening up after the story, in a story based game, is do you really give that much of a **** to even bother?

I killed 3 and was like how many more are there?! dropped it like a sack of rotten spuds after that.
            Edit- Oh just have to say, amazing story, amazing acting, spectacular spectacular etc.

Comment

Originally posted by Family Fry View Post
              Trust me when I say, God of War would be a 10/10 GOAT if it wasn’t for the repetitiveness of battles and lack of variation on the enemies/combat, there I said it, I feel a bit better now.

Oh look giant ogre, pretty intimidating.....20 hours later, oh my god what’s this? Oh, it’s just an ogre but now they are glowing red!!! I’ll smash it in no worry.

Also I just have to say the worst thing about endgame challenges opening up after the story, in a story based game, is do you really give that much of a **** to even bother?

I killed 3 and was like how many more are there?! dropped it like a sack of rotten spuds after that.
              Edit- Oh just have to say, amazing story, amazing acting, spectacular spectacular etc.
              8 and a queen all with different attacks and game-play. I'm pretty happy there was more to do it wasn't a traditional story game it had metroidvaia elements to its progression and exploration, so its a bit unfair to just say it was a linear story based game, you could miss large chunks of it if you weren't exploring or going for the trophies.

this is a really interesting look form the devs on the enemy's and combat, i don't get whats not to like its fast it feels heavy and it rewards skillfull play with parry's and dodges

Comment

Finished this up the other day. Went on a fair bit longer than I'd expected, but came away having enjoyed the story enough.

Still don't rate the combat, though; yes there are combos, dodges, and parries, but they're all very basic and I don't particularly like having to control a brawler like a third person shooter. The lock-on not being able to handle things too far away or off the sides enables more headaches than it solves, and having someone someone screeching "WATCH OUT!" is not a good audio cue. The lack of variety in larger enemies is really exacerbated by the length, too.

This is all to say it's certainly not a bad game, just there's a lot of polish and AAA sheen that doesn't mask the gaps in the fundamental stuff.

Comment

Hi Fuse, concur with that, I liked that the early GoW games gave you that feeling of a proper combo game without having to get to Saurian levels of skill like DMC3. How are you mate, last time I saw you was at that SFIV tournament. I mained Abel.

Comment

How could I forget mate! I saw you’ve been about again lately

I think I’m coping, which is about as much as anyone can ask for right now. Got vaccinated already, which is something! How’re you keeping?

Comment

Finally dragged myself away from Elden Ring. Playing on PS5, looks pretty cool. I'm struggling with the combat but that is my fault due to Elden Ring muscle memory.

Enjoying the story so far geez Kratos is a miserable git! I love how he yells boy! I call my my boy, Boy all the time. Now I can pretend I'm Kratos around the house.

Comment

Woah recently got to the bit where

you get the blades of chaos back

a definite "holy ****" moment for me.

I'm enjoying exploring and have started to fight some Valkyries around the place & completed the Volcano map, that was a challenge!. Some of the puzzles are a bit annoying but I can overlook it. I still have absolutely no idea what the story is about apart from us wanting to spread the missus ashes of a mountain. Then again I haven't finished God of War 3 in case there is a clue from that game.

Overall I am really enjoying it.

Comment

Platinum done. Overall I really enjoyed the game, I liked the exploration, the combat was engaging and the story was pretty good although it took until the end to really understand just what the hell was going on. Looking forward to seeing how they iterate on the sequel.

8/10 for me

Comment

OK, this is my 3rd attempt at this game and I hate it. I think it's over rated ****e. If it didn't look so good I don't believe it'd get as much love.
                            The combat in this is ps2 level basic that at best is playable, and at worst doesn't respect your time. There is nothing clever about the combat, no strategy you need to use. It's just throw your Axe, punch them, press R3. Block if you need, or roll. That's it.
                            I gave it a considerable amount of time this time, probably 10 hours, and nothing changed. I'm pissed off that I wasted my time on it. Easily the worst Sony exclusive.

Comment

OK, this is my 3rd attempt at this game and I hate it. I think it's over rated ****e. If it didn't look so good I don't believe it'd get as much love.
                              The combat in this is ps2 level basic that at best is playable, and at worst doesn't respect your time. There is nothing clever about the combat, no strategy you need to use. It's just throw your Axe, punch them, press R3. Block if you need, or roll. That's it.
                              I gave it a considerable amount of time this time, probably 10 hours, and nothing changed. I'm pissed off that I wasted my time on it. Easily the worst Sony exclusive.
                              It sounds like you're forcing yourself to play it through FOMO because of the hype it's had. It's okay, you don't have to like every game that's received well. It's quite a long game, I actually played it on and off over 2 years on PS4 Pro and PS5.

I used to play games I thought I should play because everyone else was playing them, or because they were reviewed well, but the reality is there is not enough time to play everything so you might as well play what you want. I still do this on occasion but now I find myself mainly playing remake compilations of old games and racing games. They're just less demanding or your time and attention.

A lot of Sony exclusives are epic single player adventure games, that's their niche.

Comment

Working...
                              X