Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Raspberry Pi > Neo Geo X anyone done this?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Raspberry Pi > Neo Geo X anyone done this?

Hi, has anyone converted a Neo Geo X to work with a Rasberry Pi? To be honest I have no idea.. I might as well be speaking another language so please talk to me like a child.

This is possibly a topic that @dvdx2 or @Escape-To-88 could help me with? As I understand it pretty much all that’s needed is a NGX dock and stick, a Pi and these cables https://m.aliexpress.com/item/328449...X-Dock-Station then load Retropie onto the Pi and that’s it???? Sounds too simple? I’ve seen some YouTube vids that seem amazing but no good tutorials in English so any advice would be appreciated.

Ive mention before that I have no idea when it comes to modding and computers so I’m not sure I can do any of this unless it’s super easy? Any advice? Cheers!
    Last edited by SuperDanX; 26-04-2018, 20:56.

I've not looked into it, but you can use a pi for Laserdisc games like Spade Ace with a cab, with a Naomi net dimm to run all the Naomi stuff etc. So it could be done by a method not too dissimilar. I'll take a look, but I'd expect it to be a possibility. If it's a case of just chucking a Pi inside a Neo X unit I'd assume it would be fairly straightforward, just wiring it correctly.
    Last edited by Escape-To-88; 26-04-2018, 21:45.
    3DS FC (updated 2015): 0447-8108-3129

Comment

I thought about doing this but at the time the X was going for more than what I was willing to pay... and then it turned out to be crap

But yeah, all the dock does is extend the video, power and USB for controllers. I assume you're not using a real X dock, as they have knock-offs of those too: https://www.aliexpress.com/item/NEOG...846663582.html

I don't see why there should be any complications to the procedure you've described. I'd recommend anything other than an X controller though, never liked the original Neo stick design.

Comment

Think escape to 88 has it covered, though you could use an RGB-pi to scart with the full set of neo games and plug in a neogeo x stick. The stuff plays and looks a dream.

Comment

Thanks guys, it does seem to be plug in and play which would be the most I could manage, I know some early attempts before this harness was avalible required re wiring the dock to fit the pi. Afaik this is no longer necessary although frustratingly it doesn’t mention if any further mods are required. I guess it wouldn’t be too expensive to try as all I need is the harness and a pi. I have the NGX set up and the procedure is completely reversible or so it would seem.

I’ve mentioned how much I like my NGX but there’s room for improvement to say the least, I’ve jailbroken my system but it still suffers from overscan and screen tearing and half a dozen or so games won’t work there isn’t really anything that you can do with it,as I understand it the pi would be be able to run things pretty much perfectly. Given the disappointment with the official Neo geo mini I might give this a go (I’ll still buy a mini too no doubt but it doesn’t sound like it’s going to be my ‘dream’ set up)

Probably what’s going to cause me problems is setting up th pi as I know nothing about it so I may have lots of (more) questions later, is it easy to set up though? Does retro arch allow scanline filters etc? I have no crt so the rgb-Pi isn’t worth it.

Btw I don’t think those docks and accessories are fake, just new old stock from before SNK took Tommos licence away that they could no longer sell. Not that it matters much but I don’t they are fake just leftovers.

Comment

This looks like a fun little thing to try. I'll order me the bits and have a go.

Comment

Originally posted by chipsgravy View Post
              This looks like a fun little thing to try. I'll order me the bits and have a go.
              I don’t think I can do it (not that I’ve started) it’s not my skill set (hoping to find out what exactly my skill set is pretty soon) Let me know how you get on with it.

I did consider buying a pi that’s set up and pre loaded on eBay and just plugging it in until I found out I’d need to install some driver or the other into RetroPie to get the Neo Geo X stick to work with it, I watched a video about it but it was all,to much for me!

Comment

I've ordered all the bits except the sticks at this stage. The Amazon seller cancelled my order. I knew the price was too good to be true. So to start with I shall use my 360 sticks.

Comment

Right then, little update. I have the Pi, installed a retropie image. All good. The only issue is that I can't seem to add the required file to make the sticks operate. (I did get some Neo Geo X sticks in the end) My understanding of linux at this stage just isn't there yet. But trial and error will prevail. (I hope)

Comment

Originally posted by chipsgravy View Post
                    Right then, little update. I have the Pi, installed a retropie image. All good. The only issue is that I can't seem to add the required file to make the sticks operate. (I did get some Neo Geo X sticks in the end) My understanding of linux at this stage just isn't there yet. But trial and error will prevail. (I hope)

https://youtu.be/Rlg7r5RNwCY this explains how to do it mate. Keep us updated. Good luck!

Comment

I literally did this just after the last post. I had to chown the correct location. Stick works brilliantly now. Better than the 360 pad I was using in fact. I have also set the PI to boot straight into the NEO GEO games menu. I also added NGPC games as a bonus as well as Fatal Fury Wild Ambition and Samurai Showdown: Warriors Revenge under PSX, just because. (In fact the PS1 emulation is so good I am now considering building a PS1 mini). So far it has been fairly straightforward. Just waiting for the cables to arrive hopefully in the next couple of days. I forgot to mention I also set the Emulator to "AES" instead of "MVS" for a more console like experience. So far so good!
                      Last edited by chipsgravy; 14-05-2018, 05:57.

Comment

I'm interested in doing this also, Chipsgravy do you have a shell for your Neogeo PI yet?

I see people selling them on Ebay all set-up but its 150 pounds without the stick..

Comment

Originally posted by tokyochojin View Post
                          I'm interested in doing this also, Chipsgravy do you have a shell for your Neogeo PI yet?

I see people selling them on Ebay all set-up but its 150 pounds without the stick..

Comment

Thanks mate, have to do some calculations with the cables and pi and the stick to see if it's worth it.

Comment

I haven't received my shell yet, but I also ordered a power pack and HDMI lead as the X is mini HDMI out to HDMI. I was half tempted to buy a complete setup on ebay, but half the fun for me is doing it myself.

Comment

Working...
                              X