Neo Geo Classic Edition

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Comment

Hopefully not this Neo Geo mini https://www.snk-corp.co.jp/us/press/2017/113001/ (scroll to last pic)

Originally posited by SNK “GE presented Mr. Bader Al-Asaker with a special gold version of the NEOGEO mini, which is a product designed to celebrate the 40th anniversary of the SNK brand.”

(from dec 2017, bold and underline by me)

EDIT: I’d imagine this is it
      I’d probably still buy it
      Last edited by SuperDanX; 19-04-2018, 13:54.

Comment

Looks alright to me!

That screen is definitely going to need to scale up nicely with an integer though. I despise non-native resolutions for these games.

Thinking about it they could easily drop a 240p IPS panel in there and bezel off the surplus pixels. That's what I'd do if I was engineering something like this. Neo (and all other retro) games look fantastic on the n/3DSXL.

Bluetooth for proper Japanese arcade back-to-back 2-player, or simply for pairing any other bluetooth controller.

A little back-lit marquee with interchangeable inserts would be very cool as well.

I'm very much interested in this now. I actually want it to come in at around €200 - the pricier the better.
        Last edited by dataDave; 19-04-2018, 14:05.

Comment

Originally posted by dataDave View Post
          Looks alright to me!

That screen is definitely going to need to scale up nicely with an integer though. I despise non-native resolutions for these games.
          Bit small, I was hoping for something to hook up to that TV, idk? I might not be this but it’s unlikely they would invest in the moulds if this isn’t it.. plus it would tie in with the image in the tweet.

Comment

I may need a moment.

Comment

Originally posted by SuperDanX View Post
              Bit small, I was hoping for something to hook up to that TV, idk? I might not be this but it’s unlikely they would invest in the moulds if this isn’t it.. plus it would tie in with the image in the tweet.
              Surely they'd have HDMI-out to stand up alongside the Nintendo, and now Sega, variants.

It'll basically be another Pi box, only (hopefully) really well built.

Comment

Last edited by SuperDanX; 19-04-2018, 14:40.

Comment

Yep - it's definitely that.

They should ship with those cloths too (the black NeoGeo one, not the red & white).

Comment

It looks like a homemade cross between a GBA SP and a Gamesmaster Golden joystick ... and some ramdom tat.

Saying that ... I reserve the right to change my might and get all giddy if the final ver looks a bit tidier/less cobbled together.

Comment

Wait? Is that Chinoarab (or is that Arabochine?) picture posted above the real thing? That looks like an updated version of one of those 80s game toys that played one Space Invaders style title?

I want a real mini to plug into the TV with a proper controller, not this gimmicky tat.

Comment

Interest has left the building, AES and NeoSD can rest easy.

Comment

How are you supposed to play that? It looks like an idiot.
                          Kept you waiting, huh?

Comment

Originally posted by replicashooter View Post
                            I want a real mini to plug into the TV
                            They're all just running software emulation at the end of the day.*

You could boil all of these mini-consoles down to a Raspberry Pi which does an infinitely better job of emulating everything up to (and including part of) the PSX library. USB and Bluetooth options mean you can use practically any controller you like. If you're playing on an LCD/LED then you're not too worried about emulation latency anyhow.

*This could surprise us. If it's an FGPA solution then it simply can't be ignored, no matter the form factor.

Comment

Originally posted by dataDave View Post
                              They're all just running software emulation at the end of the day.*

You could boil all of these mini-consoles down to a Raspberry Pi which does an infinitely better job of emulating everything up to (and including part of) the PSX library. USB and Bluetooth options mean you can use practically any controller you like. If you're playing on an LCD/LED then you're not too worried about emulation latency anyhow.

*This could surprise us. If it's an FGPA solution then it simply can't be ignored, no matter the form factor.

Except it doesn't. Put a SNES Mini alongside a Pi and check the difference for yourself.

Pi has really sh*tty emulation thanks to the way it updates/polls controllers as the lag is part and parcel of the design and for those that can't notice it then more power to them but for those who can its obvious and ruins the whole feel also those shonky 8bitdo pads with their crappy diagnols are a lolfest, even more so considering they are the best option in a sea of crappy controllers.

The allure for me is proper quality emulation that feels as its supposed to, a cute console that connects via HDMI and official controllers. Pi offers none of that yet people seem to be willing to gloss over the fact, anyhoo, not to turn this thread into something else so I'll just leave it at that.

Comment

Originally posted by J0e Musashi View Post
                                How are you supposed to play that? It looks like an idiot.
                                I read* the controller/Joystick detaches from the cab bit, it looks feasible, but stupid. *Speculation.

Comment

Working...
                                X