No announcement yet.

Neo Geo Classic Edition

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Looking at the picture again, could be as above^^, mini arcade machine with a separate mini NG Stick.

Comment

Originally posted by replicashooter View Post
      Except it doesn't. Put a SNES Mini alongside a Pi and check the difference for yourself.

Pi has really sh*tty emulation thanks to the way it updates/polls controllers as the lag is part and parcel of the design and for those that can't notice it then more power to them but for those who can its obvious and ruins the whole feel also those shonky 8bitdo pads with their crappy diagnols are a lolfest, even more so considering they are the best option in a sea of crappy controllers.

The allure for me is proper quality emulation that feels as its supposed to, a cute console that connects via HDMI and official controllers. Pi offers none of that yet people seem to be willing to gloss over the fact, anyhoo, not to turn this thread into something else so I'll just leave it at that.

Yes, SNES stuff is a bastard to emulate, which is why it's selected for testing. 68000 based emu can be emulated perfectly on almost any hardware platform that isn't twenty years old.

Also, those 8bitdo pads are practically 1:1, and well worth the money. Perhaps the one you tried was a knock-off, or something - as this is the first time I've ever heard anyone say anything negative about them across the entire internet. Even those wired iBuffalo SFC controllers are supposed to be mint.

If you want emulation that feels as it's supposed to with absolutely zero argument from anyone then you have to go FGPA - there is absolutely no compromise there.
      Last edited by dataDave; 19-04-2018, 16:45.

Comment

That lag chart is news to me, seems that 4.3 has pulled up its bootstraps then as before that the same chart was astronomically laggy. As for the controller, its quite common knowledge that the dpads are sh*te at registering diagnols:

Due to the difference in PCB design:

Like I said, its all about feel - you either do or you don't although I totally agree about your FGPA comment - tis the future of the past.

Comment

That's interesting. Although not everyone in that thread has that problem. It seems like a very easy fix if you do happen to have sensitive diagonals, regardless.

I had my doubts about the Pi too, but I've been sold enough to give one a try.

Tip: Start reading this post at “UPDATE June 17th 2016” below and then continue with the newer updates. UPDATE January 3rd 2018: Tests of SNES Classic Mini controller connected to PC using Raphnet’s low-latency USB adapter: An input lag investigation UPDATE June 18th 2017: Additional tests showing effect on input lag from using shaders and from the new raw input driver : An input lag investigation UPDATE May 2nd 2017: Input lag on real SNES console on a CRT TV: An input lag investigation U...

You can drop in there for the absolute lowdown on input latency.

Comment

If only the SFC Mini HORI pads even registered diagonals.
            Kept you waiting, huh?

Comment

I'm at that age now where I just want things to work, can't be arsed tinkering around with settings and having to fix dodgy controllers when you can pick up a SNES Mini that does all you want it it do out of the box and looks beautiful at the same time and can be modded with a click to do even more just as perfectly.

Pi is something thats great in theory as a jack of all trades but given that I dislike the Android platform and Retroarch the combination of the two is just a bit too much to stomach, hence why it holds little interest for me as the faff to play ratio is way off. It is odd though how people become "true believers of the Pi" and then pop up in any and every emulation thread spouting about its awesomeness*

*after you tweak its nipplenuts to Alaska setting it up then filling it with ROMs before opening up your controller to affix some sticky tape and then file the rough 3D printed edges off your poor third rate wannabe case before settling in for a night of retro gaming

Will be interesting to see what you make of the experience when it lands though.

Comment

As for the controller, its quite common knowledge that the dpads are sh*te at registering diagnols:
                Yo, you don't need to censor yourself.
                Just write the rude words and let the swear filter do its job.

Cheers ears.

Comment

Will be interesting to see what you make of the experience when it lands though.
                  I believe it's a one-and-done, especially as you can just paste in someone else's pre-built image. An afternoon of tinkering and then that's it. Let's see.

Comment

Originally posted by QualityChimp View Post
                    Yo, you don't need to censor yourself.
                    Just write the rude words and let the swear filter do its job.

Cheers ears.
                    What if I prefer doing it the other way? Eh?

*pokes finger repeatedly into QCs oddly metallic primate styled chest*

*the entire council estate stops with bated bad breath and looks to observe the pavement cabaret unfolding at a dizzying rate*

*some grabs a camera and is poised to yell "Wordstar" when it all kicks off*

*RS places duty evaded cigarette in his mouth and lights it up with a smooth match stroked across QCs bonce type move and puts his mean face on*

Originally posted by dataDave View Post
                    I believe it's a one-and-done, especially as you can just paste in someone else's pre-built image. An afternoon of tinkering and then that's it. Let's see.
                    Wow, you can cut and paste all the faff away? Make a thread when it lands please.

Comment

Wow, you can cut and paste all the faff away? Make a thread when it lands please.
                      I'll do a video. I'll have some slight faff within RetroArch as I'll be using a RetroTINK RGB board to feed reference quality RGB directly to the BVM. The board creator leaves the width values stock as everyone's CRT is different - that said it's literally only a matter of reducing the X and width values for the viewport until it fits the screen.

Besides, I want to do a video comparing input latency across real hardware, Wii VC, laptop, n3DS and Pi.

Comment

Nice one, that fast forward emulation news in the other thread is really impressive. If they start implementing that in the ports then it literally changes the game.

RS becomes a Pi believer in 3... 2...

Comment

Originally posted by Nu-Eclipse View Post
                          After the debacle that was the Neo-Geo X, almost anything would be a considerable improvement.
                          Was it really bad? For why?

Comment

I’ll reserve judgement until we have more than a tiny blurry picture to go on... but it’s not looking overly promising at the moment.

Comment

It just needed to be a small AES with HDMI and a scanline option. Plus full-size sticks with Seimitsu parts. Whatever built-in games doesn’t matter, as long as the Hakchi guys work it out. That would be perfect.
                              Kept you waiting, huh?

Comment

Avert your eyes from the blinding optimism pouring out of the above post

Even down to the joystick parts

Comment

Working...
                                X