Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Polymega multi emulation device

Quite clever and looks nice too:

Play legacy video games on Polymega® including PS1, Saturn, Sega CD, Mega, CD, 32XCD, Neo Geo, TurboGrafx, PC-Engine, Supergrafx, NES, FC, SNES, SFC, MD, 32X.

Not an FPGA but uses "Hybrid Emulation" which is described as:

Could you explain what makes "Hybrid emulation" so special?
    Without going into an extreme technical explanation (you can read that here), Hybrid Emulation allows emulators to read cartridges and controllers electrically so that they function like the real consoles did when they're connected to a modern system on a chip (SOC) style processor. So, instead of dumping the ROM file from the cartridge and holding it in resident memory as other consoles do, we read the data that is input and output from the connectors on the Element Module directly to the CPU at a "bare metal" level like the real systems. This means we never have to guess what's happening inside the cartridge, significantly increasing compatibility with homebrew cartridges and other special types of games that aren't likely to work well on a 100 percent emulation system.

Wonderful aesthetic and I really like the idea as I think this is the future of retro systems if anyone actually manages to pull it off without being vaporware or just plain crap.

So CPU and GPU are still 100% software. Can make use of super FX chips on Yoshi SNES etc. Not bad, depends how good software emulation is I guess, which in theory could be as good as FPGA. Nothing stopping it really.

Comment

I genuinely thought you'd made the name up!

Comment

https://www.polymega.com/ up for preorders now

I have heard it got showed off at e3 and seemed genuine....but i am still very concerned that a lot of thingsshowing the machine on the site is still prerenders

Also heard on youtube they have removed the FPGA part not sure if thats true though
        Last edited by eastyy; 07-09-2018, 22:35.

Comment

While I think the initial concept for this system is great it does still sound pretty much like an ARM SOC with a custom version of Mednafen. Saturn support out of the box does add some value but the screens used in the advert promoting the Saturn support were from the Model 2 arcade games.
          I suppose if it is cheaper to buy the base unit and various modules than the real systems and an OSSC it could do well. It would certainly take up less space and involve a lot fewer cables.

Comment

No FPGA so why bother.

Comment

Originally posted by CMcK View Post
              While I think the initial concept for this system is great it does still sound pretty much like an ARM SOC with a custom version of Mednafen. Saturn support out of the box does add some value but the screens used in the advert promoting the Saturn support were from the Model 2 arcade games.
              I suppose if it is cheaper to buy the base unit and various modules than the real systems and an OSSC it could do well. It would certainly take up less space and involve a lot fewer cables.
              It's $450, so it's actually probably still cheaper to buy the actual machines.

To be honest, if they continue developing it, if the emulation is flawless (and I mean genuinely flawless) and the HDMI output is good, I would be tempted for £200.

This is kinda similar to what we've all been talking about with the SNES Mini vs all those terrible AtGames Megadrive devices. I think most of us are willing to pay a premium but only for a product which is up to par.

Comment

Looks nice and is legal. If you care about the legality of it all.

Cost of old games is still a factor though and the moment you decide to not buy an expensive genuine title and instead get a repro or an everdrive then the whole point of this is lost really I think. No reason to expect the emulation quality to exceed what's already available. It really does look nice I think though.

Comment

Well you certainly can’t fault the design; it does look very nice. However it’s also very gimmicky with the interchangeable modules, and quite restrictive. Having each system’s controller ports on its unique module, instead of a couple of USBs on the base unit also complicates things.

I can’t see owners of the original systems wanting something that isn’t FPGA based, and anyone without a huge collection of originals probably just wants to play teh ROMz anyway.

Comment

Colour me interested purely for Saturn support. I have a load of old games sat in a c cupboard just waiting for an easy way to be played. I shall keep my eyes on this.

Comment

Originally posted by _SD_ View Post
                      I can’t see owners of the original systems wanting something that isn’t FPGA based, and anyone without a huge collection of originals probably just wants to play teh ROMz anyway.
                      Yeah, for the cost of the whole system and considering its high quality marketing image, you'd think it would be FPGA. You'd expect it to be made by clever people who decided to deliver the ultimate FPGA solution for retro gamers. Instead, it's just a nice looking piece of kit that offers simple emulation at a high price - and even more when you buy all the modules.

So as much as some people might think it looks "cool", I think it's very expensive for what is essentially a fancy emulation computer. People may as well buy a £100 small form factor PC with a DVD drive built in.

If someone went on Dragon's Den with this, they'd be shot down because it's not FPGA. There's no unique selling point. Also, the idea that emulation for machines like the Saturn will be really good, if not perfect, is a load of nonsense that people are fantasising about.
                      Last edited by Leon Retro; 19-09-2018, 05:30.

Comment

Well, that interview didn't tell us anything we didn't know. Typical PR BS.

Comment

You can't even use flash carts/Everdrives with the modules. Will it play CD-R?

He did say that they're working with the author of the Saturn emulator they're using to optimise it for great performance. Hopefully this will lead to really good Saturn emulation away from the Polymega.

I really hope we get great N64, Saturn, and Dreamcast emulators in the near future. I also hope we get more FPGA solutions for retro machines.

Comment

Originally posted by Leon Retro View Post
                            I also hope we get more FPGA solutions for retro machines.
                            The only reason I’m keeping a select number of Home Carts is the hope for an FPGA Neo•Geo AES ‘clone’ at some point in the near future.

Comment

Working...
                            X