Willow 2

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Willow 2

Out doing press for “Solo: A Star Wars Story” this week, filmmaker Ron Howard has surprisingly revealed that his previous collaboration with Lucasfilm, 1988’s cult fantasy feature “Willow,” may be coming back in the near future. Speaking with comicbook.com, he says we could return to the world of Nockmaar from the original film: “I don’t […]

Ron Howard has revealed that discussions have taken place on making a sequel to Willow. The belated follow up would have a stronger focus on Elora Dunan but would also feature Willow prominently.

Random!
    I wonder if Warwick Davis would return?

Comment

I'd imagine he'd be all over this

Comment

Nooooooooooooooooope.

Comment

Thirty years before “Solo” hit cinemas, filmmaker Ron Howard did another project for Lucasfilm quite separate to those stories set in a galaxy far far away – the 1988 fantasy feature “Willow”. Set in the world of Nockmaar, the original film follows a reluctant farmer who plays a critical role in protecting a special baby […]

Looks like this may be happening but as a series for Disney+ rather than as a film

Comment

Former “Burn Notice” creator and showrunner Matt Nix is attached to write and executive produce a “Turner & Hooch” TV series for the Disney+ streaming service. 20th Century Fox TV will produce The project is dubbed a reimagining of the Roger Spottiswoode-directed 1989 Tom Hanks buddy comedy that pairs neat freak detective Scott Turner with […]

The first episode script is done with the series pitched as a sequel

Comment

Comment

Disney+ "Willow" Series Special Look & Poster - Dark Horizons
                A featurette is out

Comment

Always had a soft spot for this as a kid. Mainly because I wanted to plough Joanne Whalley.

Comment

Watched the first episode of this today.

It’s not particularly good. The story is standard fantasy guff with very little to challenge the viewer to care. If it wasn’t for the pedigree established by the film, it would be panned. The dialogue is too modernised. Warwick Davis, who I really like, is absolutely terrible. The way he delivers his lines is pure am-dram. Granted, the lines are piffle, but Lord of the Rings shows that you can talk piffle with gravitas. It sounds like he’s reading from phonetically-spelt cue cards. Dreadful. The character dynamics are weak and cliched. Some of the effects are very ropey.

Yet… it’s Willow. The soundtrack snippets alone kept me involved. There’s a briskness and light touch that’s quite sweet in a way. It’s clearly designed to appeal to kids and families, and the kid in my generation. It’s not meant to be challenging and grim. So, I’ll watch the next episode just accepting it for what it is, and see if it improves.

Comment

"Willow" Writer On More 'Corporate' Sequel - Dark Horizons
                      Willow writer Dolman isn't too hot on Disney's level of involvement in the writing of the new series saying the whole thing was too much of a corporate experience.

Comment

Episodes 2 and 3.

I’m really losing patience. Some reviews have pitched it as a sweet and honest antidote to the seriousness of LOTR and the grim tits of GOT. It’s not. It’s just feeble.

I wouldn’t mind if it was competent in the basics. The dialogue is too teen modern to be innocent. There’s a real attempt to be hip and snide in places. It works in Marvel to an extent, but here it’s just clumsy. There’s a bit where a character is explaining a backstory about some cuirass. He gets interrupted by the bratty kid he’s telling it to, as she whines on about getting to the point. No, actually, I want to hear the backstory. Not you rolling your eyes and being a dwad. Willow the film didn’t have that type of sneering disregard for its own style and source material. It doesn’t sit well at all.

The narrative seems to jump around here and there. Some things are over-explained, others just happen randomly and you think ‘what the hell?’ There’s a lack of heart to the story and the character dynamics are sometimes very cheaply written. Then you have jarring bits like a famous metal riff being played when the group spot a particular landmark. No. It’s not Stranger Things. Eddie and his Master of Puppets scene served a purpose and was integral to his character. Don’t just throw things at the screen and hope it sticks.

Then there’s Warwick. Oh good lord. I don’t know what’s happened to him. It’s some of the worst acting I’ve ever seen. Especially when he’s reeling off grandiose lines of exposition. It’s like someone reading idiot boards, who hasn’t read the script, and suffers from an absence of talent. He’s utterly awful, and it pains me to say it. Ironically, in a broadside against my earlier comments about the more modern elements of the script, he’s actually better delivering the conversational asides and moments of curmudgeonly levity. Those lines are just poor. The rest of his performance is woeful.

It’s such a shame because I love the film. There’s some decent talent here - Erin Kellyman is very watchable, and some of the other young cast aren’t bad considering the script has clearly been written for the more cynical aspects of their age bracket. I really wanted 80s Willow to return in tone. A straight down the line fantasy romp with honest dialogue and no aspirations to be like a Joss Whedon leftover script. This tv series shows very clearly how much the whole thing was held together by Val Kilmer. He struck a great balance between rogue and hero, utilising dialogue that reflected integrity and some comic awareness.

The tone of this is all wrong.
                        Last edited by prinnysquad; 18-12-2022, 23:53.

Comment

What do you think the chances are that Warwick signed on, did prep etc and then filming began realised he was starring in a dud and all effort left him at that point?

Comment

Zero.

Comment

"Willow" Cancelled After One Season - Dark Horizons

Comment

Working...
                              X