No announcement yet.

The Scottish Referendum III: If At First You Don't Secede

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

It's kind of funny that brexit has rattled all the underlying tensions throughout the UK. It's like it's kick started a democratic civil war.

Comment

Originally posted by Cassius_Smoke View Post
      It's kind of funny that brexit has rattled all the underlying tensions throughout the UK. It's like it's kick started a democratic civil war.
      That documentary Hypernormalisation said something about this; the idea that due to how online algorithms work, future political clashes are going to get worse. It's because of the echo chambers. We are all generally shown things online that we agree with, so we only really encounter the opposite opinion in the few situations where those things meet, like Brexit.

Comment

The amount of work I put into blocking people on Twitter would go somewhat against the echo chamber theory. I'd be far happier if my social media reflected my own views rather than throwing in the morons into the mix.

Comment

Originally posted by Dogg Thang View Post
          The amount of work I put into blocking people on Twitter would go somewhat against the echo chamber theory. I'd be far happier if my social media reflected my own views rather than throwing in the morons into the mix.
          Do you sort your tweets chronologically?

Even so, a savvy user might get around some of it, but most people arent that savvy.

Comment

Yes, I sort my tweets chronologically and will until they stop giving me that option. Honestly, I would prefer a more impenetrable echo chamber. I don’t need to know what some idiot like Ben Shapiro says. I didn’t even want to know he exists. And there are many more like him just wandering into what is supposedly my echo chamber. I demand better echo chambers.

Comment

Yes, I sort my tweets chronologically and will until they stop giving me that option.
              Then you're disabling the algorithm, i.e. the bulk of the echo chamber. If you want to change that, turn "top tweets" on; it isn't just the tweets with the most likes etc.; it's the tweets that are judged to be the ones you'll like the most according to the algorithm.

Comment

Oh, I understand how Twitter works.

Comment

Oh, I understand how Twitter works.
                  Well, I don't really know what to say to that. Twitter is among the worse of the social sites for this though, in terms of where people "brush up" against each other. I curate my feed quite carefully on there, but I still come across the occasional Karen screaming about how you shouldn't vaccinate your kids.
                  Last edited by Asura; 29-08-2019, 07:16.

Comment

Which means you’re not living in a social media echo chamber. If you were, you wouldn’t see those things. Even when we try to curate our own echo chamber, we encounter more alternate (and sometimes moronic and ill-informed views) than we do in real life except for that one guy in the corner of the pub who everyone is avoiding for good reason. The problem isn’t the echo. The problem is what kinds of content gets boosted - the outrage, the anger, the emotive stuff - and how ill-researched it is with people not reading beyond clickbait headlines or sharing satire as fact.

Comment

Echo chambers are def real. I've been stuck in one full of men going on about how videogames were better in the 90s since about 2003.

Comment

Originally posted by wakka View Post
                        Echo chambers are def real. I've been stuck in one full of men going on about how videogames were better in the 90s since about 2003.
                        Thats not confirmation bias just a fact!

Comment

Ian Blackford says a GE is a fantastic opportunity for Scots to demand a second independence referendum.
                          Seems a bit flawed tbh without Brexit being concluded. If Brexit happens then absolutely, if it's somehow stopped then I still feel that come the time the majority of Scots will vote Remain in the UK rather than restart the Chaos Clock for themselves all over again.

Comment

Johnson formally rejects Sturgeons request to grant the powers to stage a second referendum

Comment

Aye our minister the jimmy krankie lookalike has suggested that the tories are denying democracy

we had a vote, we voted to stay and that's democracy, if it had went the other way would the people wanting to stay have any chance of getting another vote, would we hell

Comment

Aye , we also voted to stay in the EU, things change.WM isn't working for Scotland.

Scotland future should be in Scotlands hand, not some f**ig idiot who canna even count how many children he has.
                                Last edited by garrz32; 16-01-2020, 06:25.

Comment

Working...
                                X