Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

^ They'd be free to rejoin the EU.

Comment

They could but it would take them years during which they'd suffer staggering economic damage

Comment

They need an independent stock exchange first, which would need setting up. Then they can apply for the EU. It'll take them decades. Plus most of Scotland is rural Highlands with a tiny population. If they do join they'll be the smallest economy in the EU with little to generate.

Comment

Several of my Scottish relatives are very vocal about leaving. I don't blame them tbh. I'd like to make my own house independent.

Comment

I think that's the danger. It's very easy to understand a heightened sense of wanting to leave when they're faced with Johnson and his scummy cabinet but the realities of independence now are infinitely worse than the plan they had in the last referendum when the SNP's financial plans were as reliable as Amber Heards testimony. It would, under normal circumstances, be a case of Scotland scraping through then merely getting by but under current conditions it would be an economic bloodbath and all the cards in the Tories hands to twist a dozen knives in too. It would make the NI protocol issues look simple

Comment

Let them leave. Scotland would be bankrupt and destitute in 2-3 years max If it was wholesale cut off from the rest of uk.

Comment

Can't wait to hear what stories the Conservatives can come up with for Scotland remaining part of the UK after years of saying we need to leave the EU.

Comment

Sturgeon plans to hold second Scottish independence referendum in October 2023 | Scottish independence | The Guardian
                  The Scottish Independence Referendum II will be held October 2023 assuming legalities are overcome

A hard border will also need to be created in the instance independence wins

Comment

Originally posted by fishbowlhead View Post
                    Let them leave. Scotland would be bankrupt and destitute in 2-3 years max If it was wholesale cut off from the rest of uk.
                    Please show us evidence of this. Scotland having 40% of the island’s natural resources and 8% of the population isn’t a bad position to be in. And we’ve been a net contributor to the UKs coffers for decades with us receiving less back in the block grant than we give to the Treasury.
                    If Scotland really is such a drag on the UK economy surely it would have been wiser for the Westminster government in 2014 to let Scotland go?

Comment

Isn't the problem though that whilst Scotland has resources it lacks the workforce and infrastructure to take advantage of that solo, plus a number of those resources are grouped under things such as oil where those markets are being pushed towards ceasing. They have wind etc but there are tons of logistics and years upon years of trade talks to get into a decent position all whilst rival nations compete as suppliers - coupled with Russia now driving EU nations in the direction of self-sufficiency for energy.

The UK would lose Scotlands energy percentage but realistically the Tories would line their pockets with England based nuclear plant contracts and Scotland would lose its most obvious export market. The customs barrier to the UK would deadlock the EU application for years upon years leaving Scotland in a no mans land situation too which the Government here would have no incentive to rush to resolve either as it would be a great bargaining chip with the EU and stick the knife into the SNP who would also be dealing likely with having to switch to a near valueless interim currency as well.

It's literally the country being cut off from its biggest trading nation as well as its second with no realistic prospect for a quick way back into them, certainly very low of the pile once they do.

I've kind of always seen devolution as the road to it inevitably happening but the complexities of untangling everything in a workable way always made it look like something that was more a roadmap that would take decades. The SNP wants it done yesterday.

I think if the referendum goes through the SNP will lose again. The timing is literally the worst they could possibly be pushing for it. It's without question like looking at the effects of Brexit and COVID and thinking they weren't severe enough. The SNP should focus more on a long term map to steer Scotland to being in a better position to navigate the realities of independence and on how they can help to get the Tories out of Number 10 asap.

Comment

Originally posted by CMcK View Post
                        Please show us evidence of this. Scotland having 40% of the island’s natural resources
                        This is where things will get ugly. I half-expect if the ref had gone through, the Tories would say "yeah, you can have ScotLAND, but the North Sea is still part of the UK" and while they wouldn't have gotten away with it, it would've been a total ****show.

Comment

Yep, the Tories have shown they have zero scruples in playing dirty and getting away with it. They'd tie an independent Scotland up in knots deep into the 2030's.

Comment

Originally posted by Neon Ignition View Post

.The SNP should focus more on a long term map to steer Scotland to being in a better position to navigate the realities of independence and on how they can help to get the Tories out of Number 10 asap.
                            The whole of Scotland could vote for Labour tomorrow, wouldn't make the slightest difference.

Labour flatly refuses to work with SNP, in fact Labour and Tories are the same arse cheek up here, both parties working together to keep out SNP, it's the gammons of England that's holding the cards.

Comment

Originally posted by CMcK View Post
                              Please show us evidence of this. Scotland having 40% of the island’s natural resources and 8% of the population isn’t a bad position to be in. And we’ve been a net contributor to the UKs coffers for decades with us receiving less back in the block grant than we give to the Treasury.
                              If Scotland really is such a drag on the UK economy surely it would have been wiser for the Westminster government in 2014 to let Scotland go?
                              Scotland may have natural resources but what are you going to do with it without the industry & and expertise to run it and extract?, i can assure you that if the oil rigs were just shutdown and abandoned, your stuffed, these are incredibly complicated and dangerous jobs you can't just fill with some rando, oil rigs can also move, so if the owners could no longer operate them they can just be towed away.

You also don't have enough food to feed the country without imports through the rest of UK.
                              You wouldn't have enough energy without the UK grid, or any.
                              Last edited by fishbowlhead; 15-06-2022, 15:57.

Comment

Utter pish, I've been in the oil industry for over 30yrs, first the oil fields will be there long after am gone, have you any idea how many rigs there are in the North Sea?.

Six new fields giving the go ahead so far, Platforms don't get towed away , takes years to decommission a platform. Oh last time I was on a rig the majority of staff were English and eastern European , full of rando's as you said. You honestly think Oil Companies employ the best talent,

Also why would Independent Scotland not be able to trade through the UK?

Comment

Working...
                                X