No announcement yet.

The Scottish Referendum III: If At First You Don't Secede

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I work in the oil industry in Scotland, we’re managing fine just now and I can’t see how being independent will change that. We would need to import some food but what country doesn’t? At least we’re sufficient in water. Unlike our nearest neighbour. No water meters up here.
    With regards to electricity by 2020 Scotland’s ONSHORE wind turbine capacity was generating enough electricity for every household in the country three times over. And there’s more capacity coming online which was delayed by the pandemic.
    I’m hearing a lot of the usual too wee, too poor, too stupid stuff which is just nonsense. No country has all the resources and knowledge it requires but it can be found. Ireland undoubtedly had tough times in the 70s but once it became less reliant on the UK for its trade it has thrived. They actually deal more with America than the EU now.

I’m curious why people who have no stake in Scotland and aren’t likely affected by its affairs want to retain the present UK setup?
    Put yourself in a Scottish voters perspective. Come the general election we cast our votes and get what the voters of another country elect as the UK parliament. It’s basically a waste of time.
    As an Englishman would you not prefer to have England be governed by an English parliament and not have to be concerned about what other countries are up to? Does an independent England not hold any appeal?

Comment

I think as soon as the UK (England) voted to leave the EU we've been dragging Scotland kicking and screaming with us. They hate the English as it is thanks to the thousand years of tyranny we put them through. I can't blame them for having another go at leaving, I would.

Its a rock and hard place for them. Stay and you're on a sinking ship. Jump and you could drown, but at least you'll drown on your own terms.

As for England being without Scotland, this country is ****ed anyway. We hold little weight on the world stage that it wouldn't decrease without Scotland. I think people are just scared it'll make us look like a tiny country, which we are.

Comment

@ Cassius Smoke.
        Mate, you have this all wrong, the majority of us don't hate the English, of course we have morons like anywhere else, it's the mob in WM that's the problem..1956 was the last time we voted for Tory, for over 60 years putting up with ****e that we didn't vote for. That fat mess in charge is a joke, dresses like a tramp and looks pissed all the time.

62 countries gained Independence from the UK , not one has begged to come back

You guys couldn't wait to end a union with the EU but for some reason it's impossible to end this union. The UK's a dead fish now, the days of getting teary eyed about a Spitfires and Dambusters are long gone. Time to move on

Comment

Scotland should go independent and if they did I’d politely ask if I could become Scottish.

Comment

Originally posted by garrz32 View Post
            The whole of Scotland could vote for Labour tomorrow, wouldn't make the slightest difference.
            That's a joke, right?

It definitely would make a difference if Labour became relevant in Scotland again. It would be all but an absolute game-changer in terms of them returning to Government with a majority.

Comment

...and let be me clear as an Englishman: I am all for Scotland having the right to determine their own destiny.

Comment

Then vote to leave and see what happens, personally i think it’ll be disastrous for both parties in the short & long term, just look how brexit ended up. I don’t believe for a second anything has actually been thought through on Scotlands leadership side for the actual exit, just like brexit.

As for England led by English leaders, id rather a monkey throwing its own crap at the wall right now than those fascist suckling pigs.

There’s also Russia that needs dealing with, its not the time to be breaking the country apart making it weaker.

Comment

Originally posted by fishbowlhead View Post

There’s also Russia that needs dealing with, its not the time to be breaking the country apart making it weaker.
                  That’s the nonsense BoJo has been peddling to try and save his skin but has no bearing in the real world.

Comment

Originally posted by fishbowlhead View Post
                    [MENTION=8265]CMcK[/MENTION] is spot-on.

Classic Tory deflection bollocks.

Comment

I'm definitely not taking the stance that the UK should remain united because it's anything good, I'm move abroad and burn the place down quite happily, but the SNP's arguments in favour of independence literally reek, to high heaven, of the same arguments as Brexit. There will be a sea of domino effects triggered and any EU or UK doors will not be waiting open for Scotland to stride on through. Other nations will fill the void fast and permanently for supply on numerous exports. Scotland needs a clear, precise and comprehensive 7-15 year plan based solely on having no inclusion in the UK or EU markets to even contemplate the move.

It's not the Scottish people having a say that's the problem, it's the timing. There won't be a third referendum so they're muppets if they waste their shot falling into the same traps they did in 2014.

Comment

Originally posted by Neon Ignition View Post
                        I'm definitely not taking the stance that the UK should remain united because it's anything good, I'm move abroad and burn the place down quite happily, but the SNP's arguments in favour of independence literally reek, to high heaven, of the same arguments as Brexit. There will be a sea of domino effects triggered and any EU or UK doors will not be waiting open for Scotland to stride on through. Other nations will fill the void fast and permanently for supply on numerous exports. Scotland needs a clear, precise and comprehensive 7-15 year plan based solely on having no inclusion in the UK or EU markets to even contemplate the move.

It's not the Scottish people having a say that's the problem, it's the timing. There won't be a third referendum so they're muppets if they waste their shot falling into the same traps they did in 2014.
                        The thing is, irrespective of whether or not you're taking the stance of the UK remaining united, posts like this show that this is precisely what you're doing. Devil's advocacy simply doesn't work here. I'm sorry but it just doesn't.

Comment

Originally posted by Nu-Eclipse View Post
                          [MENTION=8265]CMcK[/MENTION] is spot-on.

Classic Tory deflection bollocks.
                          There’s literally nazis rampaging through Europe and you call it tory deflection bollocks? Seriously get a grip, Russia has destabilised the planet, this is an everyone problem that needs dealing with now, its not the time for “we want out because”.

Scotland should also be using brexit as a ginormous cautionary tale as well, clearly none of it sunk in of why its all a bad idea.

Comment

If we're picking a camp then I'll simplify my stance as: Scotland should be independent... but they're next level stupid if they vote for it in 2023

Comment

I don't think Scotland should leave. I don't think UK should have left EU. Until we are all one planet, I don't think we'll progress beyond war and religion and other crazy things.

Comment

Originally posted by CMcK View Post
                                I’m curious why people who have no stake in Scotland and aren’t likely affected by its affairs want to retain the present UK setup?
                                Mine has less to do with Scotland and more to do with global geopolitics; I generally prefer unity and don't think the UK should've left the EU. Similarly, if Scotland leaves the UK, I suspect it'll empower movements like those in Cornwall, who want Cornish independence, and then I'm not sure where this process ends. Would England divide up further afterwards? Does Yorkshire become a country? I mean Yorkshire has its own identity, is comparable in size to Wales and has a larger population.

This isn't trying to paint false equivalence, suggesting that Scotland and Yorkshire are more comparable. Scotland is very much a country, with its own national identity and traditions which are esoterically Scottish.

Comment

Working...
                                X