The Scottish Referendum III: If At First You Don't Secede

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The Scottish Referendum III: If At First You Don't Secede

The SNP appears to be facing an increasingly vocal drive to make a move on attempting a second push at a second independence referendum.

This will eventually be one of the cornerstones to the undoing the SNP's dominance in Scotland.
    Last edited by Neon Ignition; 20-11-2018, 10:10.

It was a once in a life time vote as I remember they billed it. I'm not dead yet. I can't be arsed to go through all that friction between people in the yes/no camps in Scotland again, so they can **** right off.

Comment

Originally posted by Colin View Post
      It was a once in a life time vote as I remember they billed it. I'm not dead yet. I can't be arsed to go through all that friction between people in the yes/no camps in Scotland again, so they can **** right off.

Comment

Originally posted by Colin View Post
        Sorry to point this out, but not voting might be worse.

Comment

It's pretty much like when Sturgeon messed up by pushing for it a year or so ago at the General Election, they're massively misreading the public and assuming constant grumbling about Brexit equates to a heavy thirst for Independence. If anything it strengthens the resolve to hold off and see what happens than effectively throw a Brexit on top of a Brexit. I doubt the public has much thirst for a referendum on any subject at the moment.

Comment

This is why I don't like public referendums on individual issues like this. You don't just get to keep asking the question until you get the result you want. Countries and international alliances can't be run that way. Stability is sometimes better than change, even if the status quo isn't ideal.

The Scottish should have another referendum, but in 30 years or so. Not now.

Comment

There's not even the basis to argue in favour of one, it's the failing of the SNP to properly handle the fallout of losing the last referendum

Comment

I could give me a migraine just how stubbornly stupid the SNP are when it comes to the subject of a second independence referendum.
                Today they've said that Scottish people would be £4,100 per head better off if an independent Scotland could match the growth of smaller wealthy nations. Just like how British people could be better off if Teresa and Boris found a hidden warehouse of Aztec Gold, utterly redundant make believe talk.

The whole report is also based on Scotland keeping the £ for at least a decade after independence, a decision that I think I'm right in thinking has been shown to be one they have no say in so the report suggests them using the pound without the Bank of England's consent.

You've got to love their timing for going for this. They've got no chance of getting the go ahead for a second referendum, got hammered for trying to push for it at the General Elections and seem to completely ignore that their economic outlines were shown to be wrong after the referendum meaning they'd have been snookered. Also, they'd be twice as screwed going independent now.

I honestly can imagine scenario's where the SNP manages to swing a win on a vote but they absolutely need to stop living in fantasy land and lying about what the realities of Independence would mean to Scotland as they're really bad at it.

Comment

Sturgeon says she'll probably delay the decision about having another referendum. You know, the rerun most don't want, the one they took a bit of a battering for attempting to mobile, yes Sturgeon... that's why.

Comment

New poll finds that 60% of respondents would choose to remain in the UK if Sturgeon held another referendum

Comment

I tell you what would be interesting if they did do a second referendum would be to see who bangs the drum for the Leave campaign this time.
                      I bet you there'd be no sign of any of the original bunch to push it.

Comment

At least they'd get to control their borders.

Comment

SNP lines up new policy to introduce Scotlands own currnlency. It's been mixed in response though, on one hand it clarifies a referendum concern but on the other... eell, its economic death for Scotland

Comment

My initial reaction was cart before horse but then I considered Brexit and, as damaging as some changes may be, I feel at least there is a an attempt to figure out how things would actually work before getting this idea going again. But all the negatives of Brexit apply more so here unless they can get themselves into the EU separately and I have no idea if that can happen. Or if it can, how quickly it can. And if that were the plan, they’d be better off with the euro rather than their own currency, I would have thought.

Comment

The EU has commented several times that Scotland would be able to join the EU easily. I’m unsure about a new currency I would have expected the Euro to be adopted long term. But even our own currency would be nine years out after independence. At least people are looking at these issues seriously. Given the announcement of the investment bank recently this shouldn’t have come as much of a surprise.

Comment

Working...
                              X