Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

is the Nintendo 64 Mini happening or what?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

is the Nintendo 64 Mini happening or what?

i read conflicting stories online regarding the N64 mini

its happening/it isnt etc

does anyone have any info about it?

imagine Mario 64 in HD

Rampant speculation abounds on all sides for this one. The old Mini hardware can run 64 games but its barely playable possibly due to lack of optimisation or just plain grunt.

Plus the nes mini is back on sale now so that seems to be this years flavour.

I’d rather see a mini range of handlhelds first before the 64.

Comment

Originally posted by replicashooter View Post
      I’d rather see a mini range of handlhelds first before the 64.
      eeeh~ *waves hand*

I'm not so sure. I mean in theory, yes, but in practice... I think it's mainly because although I'm a big fan of them, most of my favourite games on those handhelds are ones that are unlikely to be featured. My favourite GBA games for example were mostly RPGs.

If they're moddable then I could go for them, as long as the build quality is good.

Comment

Originally posted by Asura View Post
        eeeh~ *waves hand*

I'm not so sure. I mean in theory, yes, but in practice... I think it's mainly because although I'm a big fan of them, most of my favourite games on those handhelds are ones that are unlikely to be featured. My favourite GBA games for example were mostly RPGs.

If they're moddable then I could go for them, as long as the build quality is good.
        Moddable is essential plus given the secret messages in the code and whatnot by NERD most likely, also how could you resist this?

I just don't see N churning out the 64 just yet for a variety of reasons but I also don't see them slowing down the Mini Classic momentum by abandoning the brand either so handhelds seems to be the only way to go plus this way they can rinse 3 more years with a mini GB, mini GBC then mini GBA before cranking out the mini 64 and by which time the GC will also be on its 20th anniversary and ripe for its own edition which also seems feasible because the Shield can emulate it well and they have a working relationship with Nvidia plus it will be "withered technology" by then and you know how they like to think laterally as they print money.

Comment

Even if the N64 Mini does happen, Rare won’t be coming along for the ride. And that certainly makes for a very different N64 than what I remember... and these Mini Classics are all about the nostalgia aren’t they?

Comment

Speaking of which its a travesty that Rare weren't allowed to release this because N are a bunch of twats:

Comment

If they bring one out, I'd quite like one :-)

Comment

Originally posted by _SD_ View Post
                Even if the N64 Mini does happen, Rare won’t be coming along for the ride. And that certainly makes for a very different N64 than what I remember... and these Mini Classics are all about the nostalgia aren’t they?
                Wouldn't be too bad if it became hackable and the roms ran without issue.

i'm not too convinced it'll happen but if it does I don't think it would be for at least another year or so. Nintendo are still getting a lot of mileage out of the current NES/SNES Mini.

Comment

Originally posted by replicashooter View Post
                  Speaking of which its a travesty that Rare weren't allowed to release this because N are a bunch of twats:

Sadly not even a leaked version of this is available. Wish someone dumped it.

Comment

Edit nevermind
                    Last edited by Solar; 20-05-2018, 07:08.

Comment

Originally posted by Jaz View Post
                      Sadly not even a leaked version of this is available. Wish someone dumped it.
                      nuts isn’t it especially considering how finished it looks. One of these days, one of these days!

Comment

THE CONTROLLER SUCKS.

There. Said it. Had to say it.

The thing about the NES/SNES Mini is that it aimed to use perfect controller replicas. The N64 analogue stick is weak, easily damaged, and wears down over time. It was an immense struggle to find controllers which weren't gummed up, with the inner plastic shredded, the spring loose, and the sensitivity diminished.

It is one of the worst, most fragile controllers I've ever used.

Furthermore, after the excellence that is the GameCube, PlayStation, and X360 analogue sticks, I can no longer use the old N64 pad comfortably. It's a springy, clicky, scratchy mess - even the sound it makes sounds like nails on a chalkboard compared the smooth glide that are other analogue sticks.

I would foresee myself having to mod the controller itself. Yuck.

Comment

That's a controversial opinion.

Said nobody ever.

Long as the stick isn't loose though I don't really have any issues using an N64 pad. It's what I'm used to when playing N64 games.

Comment

Originally posted by Sketcz View Post
                            The N64 analogue stick is weak, easily damaged, and wears down over time.
                            Right, I'm gonna stand up for the N64 controller here. What were people doing with them?

I had a console for years, and during my childhood might've played on it what will probably have averaged to maybe 2hrs per day, and at the end of its life, the controller (which was the original supplied with the machine) was fine, no marks around the stick well, no loose stick, no scratches...

But when you would go into a 2nd-hand games retailer back when it was contemporary, all of the 2nd-hand pad sticks would be trashed!

I honestly don't know what people were doing that was causing these problems.

Comment

Playing Mario Party is what I assume, or any game that requires you rotate the analog stick a bunch.

Comment

Working...
                              X