No announcement yet.

Warhammer

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I sprayed a couple of models I picked up from UKGE with primer earlier.

Might try and paint them over the weekend.

Comment

Originally posted by QualityChimp View Post
      I sprayed a couple of models I picked up from UKGE with primer earlier.

Might try and paint them over the weekend.
      Pics of your efforts once completed, so we can admire/chuckle at your artistic mastery.

Comment

Oh mate, it would definitely be the latter option!

Comment

Originally posted by QualityChimp;2289371[B
          Man signals his sexual availability with Games Workshop carrier bag[/B]
          I would say something, Newsthump, but I'm not sure you'd get the message, what with the spotty availability of the internet where you're writing this (~1995).

I got the train down to London recently. At the table opposite mine, the four teenage girls around it were talking about the characters they were making for their friend's upcoming D&D campaign. The idea that this stuff only appeals to men is honestly insulting to women. It stopped being funny years ago.

Comment

Definitely no women in Games Workshop today just young men TALKING LOUDLY about their campaigns.

Agreed, it's dated humour, but it's not baseless, sadly.

Apparently, getting women into the hobby without alienating the existing fanbase is something that GW discussed at their annual general meeting.

The Space Marines have to be men for some reason in lore they established years ago, presumably when they were mainly marketing to teenage boys in the 80s, so it would be interesting to see how they aim to do it. You could have female characters, but I don't think that one change would solve appealing to half the population, so what else could they do?

Plenty of female visitors to the GW stand at UKGE painting figures, so it's not impossible. They probably should have done a questionnaire to everyone sat happily painting if they'd ever bought any GW stuff before, and what would make people start/restart an interest in it.

Maybe some kind of constantly available starter kit for a few pounds, like the Conquest magazine would help? It's been a partial success because it's attracted new people who had never bought any GW stuff before, but also, people already into the hobby have been buying ALL the stock a shop has, defeating the object of making available a gateway into the hobby for newbies.

As with Gamergate, I'm always flabbergasted when men want to keep women out of their hobbies.

Anyway...

So after two Asdas, a Morrison's, Games Workshop, a newsagent, Tesco and two WH Smiths, I've finally tracked down a copy of issue 1 of Warhammer Conquest.

I should probably make the effort to paint it now!

Comment

The Space Marines have to be men for some reason in lore they established years ago, presumably when they were mainly marketing to teenage boys in the 80s, so it would be interesting to see how they aim to do it. You could have female characters, but I don't think that one change would solve appealing to half the population, so what else could they do?!
              But I thought there were female space marines? My knowledge of 40k is limited but aren't they called "Sisters of Battle"?

EDIT: Just looked it up and my memory was mostly right, they are a thing and broadly could be considered as female space marines - but they're obviously not front-and-centre with the franchise. Still, GW could buff up their treatment of them if they wanted to have more female characters front-of-house.
              Last edited by Asura; 08-09-2018, 16:59.

Comment

Not sure if it might be of interest to some of you but I was round my brothers the other night & as he works at Weyland Games his flat is like a 2nd store with game systems all over the place & He had a couple that took my eye more than usual & thought I'd pass them on here in case anyone fancies something different to GW games.

First up is a wrestling based miniatures game called Rumble Slam

RUMBLESLAM is a fast paced fantasy wrestling game for two or more players. Throwing your opponents out of the ring is the aim of the game!

Looks great & some of the miniatures bear more than a striking resemblance to characters from other universes

Secondly one that really got me interested is called Wild West Exodus, it's a sort of future distopian take on the old west & some of the miniatures look amazing

Combining a mix of Wild West action with a twisted reflection of our own reality, Wild West Exodus is a miniatures game like no other...

Look at some of these Including one that has what is quite clearly Bullseye from Bravestarr

Definitely think I'll be getting my brother to show me how to play this

Neil

Comment

They look interesting, [MENTION=7037]Soundwave[/MENTION]!
                  I don't know if you saw, but I backed a boardgame on Kickstarter called Rail Raiders Infinite that is a chibi futuristic Western train-robbing game.

It came with a bunch of cool minis like these:

And a bunch of stretch goal extras with not-so-subtle influences:

Comment

I don't want to derail the thread too much, so here's a video about how much the Conquest magazine will cost and how much you'll save:

TL;DW
                    80 issues.
                    £625 total standard
                    £745 premium

Saving
                    £251
                    £131 Premium

Update: The image below showing off the collection can now be found on the Warhammer 40,000: Conquest site. As a result, I have removed a paragraph concerning speculation over the inclusion of the …

Comment

Thanks for that QC.

I was erring on the side of not subscribing, but after watching that video I’m like, maybe I should!

Comment

I do believe the savings work out slightly more than that if you add in the small pots of paint, brushes and any other non-miniature goodies that are included.

Comment

My issue one Space Marines are nearly done!

Only got the shading to do, but I'd like to do some dry brushing but I don't understand how it works.

Comment

My issue one Space Marines are nearly done!

Only got the shading to do, but I'd like to do some dry brushing but I don't understand how it works.
                            Dry-brushing is easy; it's just what it sounds like. You get an almost-dry brush of paint and paint it over the model; raised areas will catch the colour, while deep areas/flat areas will not catch it. The opposite is washing; you use very thin paint (or inks, sometimes called washes) and dab those onto the model; they will flow and fill deep areas and pool in flatter areas.

Comment

Cheers, bud.

I get the concept, but I tried it on a test figure and it caught on the edges, but also spread to the rest of the knee!

Comment

I managed to find issue one in a local newsagents this week (the kinds that sell Risens and other confectionery stuck in a time warp)
                                Will have a go with these when I am back from visiting family next week.

Comment

Working...
                                X