Warhammer

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Warhammer

Just wondering if any of you guys play Age of Sigmar or 30/40K?

I’m not too sure about collecting an entire army, but I’m certainly interested in painting the models. There’s a few quite impressive models from a range of the Fantasy races that I’d like to have a go at painting.

I've bought a base set of Space Marines and Tyranid set several years ago, after Dawn of War came out on PC, along a couple of army manuals (Chaos and Tau) and a one Dreadnought miniature. I bought the miniature because I was interested in the modelling side, the rest because I was interested to start playing it...which didn't happen. The cost of building an army and Games Workshop's penchant to force down on you manuals and miniatures every once in a while kept me away from Warhammer.
    Once in a while I visit GW's and Forgeworld's websites to take a look at new miniatures and I'm always tempted to get a couple (like a Chaos Titan), but more than one people warned me that Forgeworld's printing quality is very hit-or-miss, with warped parts, several resin flashes, and other defects not present on Chinese copies.

Comment

I’ve watched a few videos of games being played and I find the rules of 40K to be quite confusing and a little backward. I don’t like the way that you may as well go for a fag and a cuppa whilst your opponent moves his entire army in one turn. It’s not at all realistic and units should move on an alternating/random basis. And the way that damage is worked out and which models are affected is bonkers.

I’m also not a fan of the whole Gothic thing they have going on with the human side of things, nor the setting of 40 thousand years in the future. I can see where they’re going with the technology being so old it’s now worshiped, but Magic Space Knights are a bit silly. At least the newer Primaris Marines can generally be done as more straight near-future Sci-Fi without all the silly embellishments. I’d do the armour in two or three shades of grey like some form of ceramic urban camouflage with, say, orange contrasting helmets for Commanders. I like the new Space Marines in general... the skull mask guys look cool and the drop troops with the jet packs look awesome.

I like the Tyrannids, proper cool alien models... I’d like to do some small dioramas with Marines facing off against larger Tyrannids, Starship Troopers stylee. Also do a corridor scene reminiscent of Aliens...

The Necrons are also quite cool, shame they don’t offer the plastics in more than green. I like the Tau mobile suits, they are actually pretty damn cool looking.

So yeah, I probably wouldn’t play the game with the official rules anyway. But there’s no denying Games Workshop make awesome models. There’s so many cool looking fantasy models too, I mean how awesome is this:

Or this:

Comment

Originally posted by _SD_ View Post
        I’ve watched a few videos of games being played and I find the rules of 40K to be quite confusing and a little backward. I don’t like the way that you may as well go for a fag and a cuppa whilst your opponent moves his entire army in one turn. It’s not at all realistic and units should move on an alternating/random basis. And the way that damage is worked out and which models are affected is bonkers.
        The thing with Warhammer rules (I think it extendes to both fantasy and 40k) is that they are routinely revisted and changed at every major edition, which can be both a good and a bad thing. These major rule revisions are one of the things that runed me away from the whole thing: coming from BattleTech, which saw only minor revisions throughout its history and what was valid in 1990 is still valid today, I saw GW's way as a rather cynical plot to squeeze even more money from fans.

I like the Tyrannids, proper cool alien models... I’d like to do some small dioramas with Marines facing off against larger Tyrannids, Starship Troopers stylee. Also do a corridor scene reminiscent of Aliens...
        Or Starcraft, as GW restyled Tyranids after the Zerg (and Blizzard did took several hints from other 40k factions).

I prefer technological things, so I'm more drawn to 40k than fantasy. I like Marines and Chaos walker units, Tau look cool but are less unique than other factions. The blocky, WWI-look of many armoured units is very attractive for me.

Comment

Never played any Warhammer, but I’ve often flicked through their monthly magazine.

Got to say that some of the paintwork on their models is crazy good. It’s to the point where it looks like a work of art.

In the magazine there is usually a ‘How to paint model ...” guide. The process that it goes through, from a dull grey model to a fully rendition similar to the ones in the above post really is great to see.

Is there any decent sites/people to watch where the models go though the painting process? I find craftsmanship/artistry videos fascinating to watch.

Comment

Duncan over on Warhammer TV is a lovely chap, quite relaxing to watch. I’m going to follow his guides to begin with...

Comment

My son and I have played a couple of games. He joined a school club so got a starter set for Christmas.

Everything you guys say about the rules is correct. We sit there constantly having to refer to the rules and tables to get by. We spent a good 4 to 5 hours in a single sitting and got maybe 1/4 through a game.

Comment

Originally posted by Adrock View Post
                Everything you guys say about the rules is correct. We sit there constantly having to refer to the rules and tables to get by. We spent a good 4 to 5 hours in a single sitting and got maybe 1/4 through a game.
                To be fair though, it's a tabletop wargame. After 3-4 games you get through it much more quickly; the main change is when you get good enough to think through your turn while the other person is making theirs.

Admittedly I really liked some of the ideas that went into their Lord of the Rings game. Turns alternated with units, so you move a unit, I move a unit, you move a unit... A bit more like chess. Obviously Warhammer is more like if one side in chess got to move every piece, then the other side got to move every piece...

Comment

My brother has slowly stepped away from Warhammer & 40K he started to lose interest but has moved on to Blood Bowl & the new re-release of Necromunda

However he has also started playing many more different Tabletop games like Wild West Exodus, Malifaux, Dystopian Wars, War Machine, Batman Miniatures & Rumbleslam

He also plays Board Games & Trading Card titles too

He regularly goes to big gaming weekends for the game systems he plays as well & just recently went to Chicago for a big gaming convention for his work

Luckily he works for Wayland Games so gets to play all the latest & coolest stuff

personally I've never been able to take to the game systems myself & find it all too confusing (Plus my painting skills are dog ****) but the 40K mythology & lore has always interested me & I have read several novels & get the comics which are all great

I'd love to get into it all properly myself but I just don't have the time to get into to any of it

Neil

Comment

I’ve decided to subscribe to Warhammer Conquest magazine as it’s a nice way to slowly build a couple of small armies and play with the boy.

Turns out there’s a saving of a couple of hundred quid over buying all these models in store. I still think the whole Chaos thing is a bit silly, even though the models are incredible on a technical basis, but my son likes them. I can see me having to go into our local store to get some cool Tau mobile suits and some paints.

Comment

Spotted in WH Smith today.

Weekly publication.

Only a few copies on the shelf, which is invariably a bad sign. Not in it for the long haul, but am looking forward to the next few issues.

Comment

Just popped in to post this, [MENTION=7193]Super Grover[/MENTION]!

I've not seen a copy, but those who have have Hoovered up about 5 copies each!

Comment

Originally posted by QualityChimp View Post
                          Just popped in to post this, @Super Grover!

I've not seen a copy, but those who have have Hoovered up about 5 copies each!
                          Shame it's so limited, might've been fun to do with [MENTION=16665]Blobcat[/MENTION] as she's quite artsy, but I guess they'll be out of stock everywhere. Probably for the best we don't have a load more craft crap in the house!!

Comment

Originally posted by Asura View Post
                            Shame it's so limited, might've been fun to do with @Blobcat as she's quite artsy, but I guess they'll be out of stock everywhere. Probably for the best we don't have a load more craft crap in the house!!
                            I went to the UK Games Expo earlier in the year and there was a Warhammer stand that had a whole section to let people try and paint their own figures. People sat there for aaages and didn't want to give up their seats, which is a testament to how much fun they were having as boardgames usually has a very thoughtful fanbase!

When my son and I had finished, I politely asked a guy on the stand if we could take a couple home and he gave us a bunch of the unpunched sprues and few half-painted figures people hadn't collected. I should probably paint those first.

Comment

Labyrinth of the Necrons looks quite good fun and a compact version of the game.
                              Stateside-only, I'm afraid, though.

Comment

Working...
                              X