• Time
  • Show
Clear All

TV|Shark 017: Dexter

Dexter
    Ran:
    8 Seasons (2006 till 2013)
    Episodes: 96 Episodes
    Dexter followed the same named lead who worked for the Miami police as a forensic technician, raised by one of their old police guard but who was also a serial killer. His insight into police operations would allow Dexter to choose his victims and escape detection thanks to the training he received from his adoptive father who tried to steer Dexters urges rather than hand him over to authorities. The series broadly followed Dexters attempts to navigate normal life to keep detection minimal whilst also trying to get away with literal murder. The show was a critical darling until its later seasons before ending on a very divided note.

Share your thoughts and memories of Dexters blood splatter patterns!

I only watched the first few episodes of this and hated it. My main issue with it was that it was taking a clear moral stance that I didn't like. Rather then just making the guy a serial killer and allowing his humanity be the thing we relate to (like how Oz could make us feel for really awful people), the show seemed determined to push the idea that he was in some way a good guy and it was awkward and misguided, as far as I could see. Seemed sloppy and had an effect that was opposite the intention.

Comment

I thought the show started brilliantly but quickly ran out of steam.

I remember a mate recommending it, saying 'that bloke from Six Feet Under' was in it. I switched it on fully expecting Peter Krause, SFU's MVP IMO. Michael C Hall was ace though.

Dexter's opening credits deserves a mention too. Whoever came up with that deserved a bonus.

Comment

First couple of seasons, brilliant. Last season, terrible.

Comment

I watched the first couple of seasons and enjoyed it, but heard it got increasingly tenuous and it wasn't worth watching.
          Glad I bailed as I don't have a yearning to even find out what happened, let alone watch it.

Comment

I was just thinking I seemed to quite like his sister.
            Turns out Jennifer Carpenter married Michael C. Hall!
            Then got divorced not long after!

"In 2007, she began dating her Dexter co-star Michael C. Hall. They eloped on New Year's Eve, 2008 in California and publicly appeared together for the first time as a married couple at the 66th Golden Globe Awards in January 2009. In December 2010, Hall and Carpenter released a statement announcing that they had filed for divorce after having been separated "for some time". The divorce was finalized in December 2011 for irreconcilable differences; however, the two remain very close friends."

Comment

First season in I struggled as it was a slow moving pace and the nature of the character means he's not that easy to latch onto but it found its feet well as it went on. It was always a little overly formularic but they kept the momentum well, not letting something go on quite too long and I'd say it held up until the end of the Rita arc. Five seasons and it would have been a great run but the wheels came off quickly by over stretching it and it started to become increasingly daft.

Comment

Clue for thread 18:

Clue - The Real HouseMafia of New Jersey

Comment

Originally posted by Superman Falls View Post
                  Clue for thread 18:

Clue - The Real HouseMafia of New Jersey
                  If that's what I think it is, my favourite show of all time.

Comment

Mine too, well that and The Wire.

Comment

Working...
                    X