Are you happy?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Wouldn’t have taken it that way mate.

It’s about balance with many things. For example I absolutely hate my job, and that for twenty years I’ve worked away from home. On the other hand it pays me very well and affords me a great life that allows me to do whatever I like with no financial worry. Does it stop a black cloud appearing above my head every Sunday night as I’m flying out in the morning though? Hell no.

For most things in life I’m good though, my wife, family and close friends are all amazing people. We have nice homes and possessions. I’ve got an awesomely faithful dog who I’m going to be a bit lost without in the next year or two. And to be fair I should be out of my industry altogether in the next two years and doing something more enjoyable, so maybe I will achieve the platinum.

Comment

Originally posted by Pavey View Post
      I am happy but my downside is i am a workaholic, know i am but won't change it even though i know i should.

So consequently all i do is work, 12 hr days most days, then Saturday mornings and Sunday evenings. i like it though, so i guess it makes me happy. Used to go cycling all the time, Krav Maga, swimming, gym, but because i can't get away from my desk they have all stopped. Still only 11 stone though, 5'10" so that helps mask the problem.

Maybe i am just weird, might explain it.
      What do you do for work?

14-16 hour days are the norm for me right now and I couldn't be happier. The difference is, I run my own company doing something I love... and I get paid for it. Plus, since it's not a typical job, I can read forums like this or watch videos that interest me on YouTube while I have 15 minute moments of downtime while I'm waiting for the machines to do something.

Most people can't believe how much I work and that I'm happy, until you walk them through why working for yourself is totally different. Bottom line... if you're happy, you're happy! Don't base your idea of it on what you think you "should" be enjoying.

Comment

Good question, man. Indeed it's the ultimate question. The question from which all great philosophy springs - and I mean genuine philosophy, not those who do 'philosophy' as a job from 9 - 5 and believe philosophy consists in arguing about which sentences are logical or what Plato or Schopenhauer meant when they said such and such, those chaps are naught but fakes. It's also the question where all spirituality springs - and again, I mean genuine spirituality, not the spirituality prescribed by charlatans peddling in crystals, tarot readings, healing sticks and other lies.

I'm loathe to answer the question myself as I believe that happiness is something that springs from nowhere, from nothing, out of emptiness, and as soon as we start chasing it we're further away from it, and even trying to understand what happiness consists of somehow diminishes it.

Comment

Je suis rempli d'un sentiment débordant de mélancolie tous les jours.

Comment

Did you just ask me out on a date?

Comment

Happiest I've been for a good while currently yes. Thanks for asking.

Comment

In my early 20s I was suicidal. I actually bought all the relevant equipment to gas myself in my car. I drove around for weeks with it in my boot and never had the guts to do it. In the end I threw it all away.

These days I have a loving wife, a great daughter and a nice house. But honestly, even now I have moments when I look back and think I should have done it.

Am I happy? I absolutely should be, people have far far worse lives, but I don't think I ever will be. I have something destructive living in me that won't let me be, I've learned to live with it.

Comment

Originally posted by Lyris View Post
                  What do you do for work?

14-16 hour days are the norm for me right now and I couldn't be happier. The difference is, I run my own company doing something I love... and I get paid for it. Plus, since it's not a typical job, I can read forums like this or watch videos that interest me on YouTube while I have 15 minute moments of downtime while I'm waiting for the machines to do something.

Most people can't believe how much I work and that I'm happy, until you walk them through why working for yourself is totally different. Bottom line... if you're happy, you're happy! Don't base your idea of it on what you think you "should" be enjoying.
                  Just about to watch a signal one release, disc authored by you mate!

Comment

Wow, that’s a lot to share man. Have you considered some professional counselling? You may be surprised how helpful it can be if you haven’t.

Comment

This thread makes me very sad

My answer is no at the moment.

Comment

Originally posted by Zaki Matar View Post
                        This thread makes me very sad

My answer is no at the moment.
                        Hope that akai katana board is still working?

Comment

Originally posted by dvdx2 View Post
                          Hope that akai katana board is still working?
                          It is but so many other sad things happening.

Comment

Originally posted by Zaki Matar View Post
                            It is but so many other sad things happening.
                            Hope it all works out buddy

Comment

Thanks dude. Seeing your ocean of PVMs and BVMs is helping

Comment

Just a yes/no fellas we don’t want any sharing of feelings going on 😁

Comment

Working...
                                X