Are you happy?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by JazzFunk View Post
    And I am happy I brought some joy to at least one person today.

Let us all spread some love in these unpredictable times.
    That really is the... I wanna say secret but it's not a secret. That really is the trick. It always sounds like a cliche "do something nice and you'll feel good' but it's true.

I don't believe anybody who focuses mostly on themselves can be truly happy. I don't care who it is, I don't care how perfect their life seems outwardly, I don't care how rich or famous or handsome they are. Nobody measures up to their own ideals, everybody comes up short, and everybody lets themselves down, everybody is able to reflect on all the times they failed to be good, to be their best, to bring tenderness or kindness or patience at a time when it was needed. Furthermore everybody hides certain facets of their personality and so, in some sense, everybody feels a bit of a fraud. But when you do something nice for someone else, something selfless, it's a good act. And how can goodness not feel good? It's so simple. What was it Marcus Aurelius said, "virtue is its own reward".
    Last edited by Zen Monkey; 12-04-2019, 11:31.

Comment

The danger is doing something good to feel good, then it's no longer selfless.

Comment

Give to charity or the homeless, then tell everyone on social media and real life how amazing you are.

Comment

Geez, you lot are skeptical and pessimistic.

Comment

Originally posted by Zen Monkey View Post
            Life is like a bag full of unopened pistachios.

Comment

I'm with Zen on this. I'm lucky I'm kind, I think it's a nice thing. It might make me seem a little naive but I know what I want out of life. I don't wanna feel horrible or nasty or jealous, they are not emotions I enjoy giving host to, even though they have made their presence felt often. I *like* kindness. It really is nice.

Comment

Not at all, that's just my experience with do gooders. I have a friend who keeps telling me about his good deeds.

Comment

Originally posted by JazzFunk View Post
                  I'm with Zen on this. I'm lucky I'm kind, I think it's a nice thing. It might make me seem a little naive but I know what I want out of life. I don't wanna feel horrible or nasty or jealous, they are not emotions I enjoy giving host to, even though they have made their presence felt often. I *like* kindness. It really is nice.
                  It's a good attitude. Kindness costs nothing too. Problem is people are generally selfish buggers who take advantage of the nice people.

Comment

That really is the... I wanna say secret but it's not a secret. That really is the trick. It always sounds like a cliche "do something nice and you'll feel good' but it's true.

I don't believe anybody who focuses mostly on themselves can be truly happy. I don't care who it is, I don't care how perfect their life seems outwardly, I don't care how rich or famous or handsome they are. Nobody measures up to their own ideals, everybody comes up short, and everybody lets themselves down, everybody is able to reflect on all the times they failed to be good, to be their best, to bring tenderness or kindness or patience at a time when it was needed. Furthermore everybody hides certain facets of their personality and so, in some sense, everybody feels a bit of a fraud. But when you do something nice for someone else, something selfless, it's a good act. And how can goodness not feel good? It's so simple. What was it Marcus Aurelius said, "virtue is its own reward".
                    This reminds me of a Chicken Cottage ad my brother edited years ago. The slogan: "wanna know what the secret is?......the secret is you". Well then, I'll just stay home and make my own chicken from now on. At least KFC's secret ingredient isn't bullsh*t.

Comment

Some times I poke my willy out of the water and pretend it's a sea snake. It's quite entertaining.
                      It's the little things in life, eh Zen Monkey?

Comment

Originally posted by Zaki View Post
                        This reminds me of a Chicken Cottage ad my brother edited years ago. The slogan: "wanna know what the secret is?......the secret is you". Well then, I'll just stay home and make my own chicken from now on. At least KFC's secret ingredient isn't bullsh*t.
                        First of all I didn’t even know Chicken Cottage did advertising. Second of all you must stop letting chicken shop branding get you down this much!

Comment

Haha I must sound like a ranting lunatic

Comment

Where’s this weekend’s ploughing update?

Comment

Originally posted by prinnysquad View Post
                              Where’s this weekend’s ploughing update?
                              It's only Sunday, not even Craig David managed that!

Comment

An event keeps popping up in my mind, an old memory. I was about 20, maybe 19. On a night out that was fairly full on. Somewhere around 4am we were out of a club and looking for somewhere to go when we walked close to another club that was emptying out. We bumped into (literally) a guy who was probably late 40s or maybe 50 who looked absolutely miserable and we asked him if he was okay. Well he just opened up and let it all out and probably babbled for about 10 minutes. The general gist was this:

His daughter was now grown up and, for some reason I never picked up (maybe a birthday or something), he had been invited out with her and her friends. There were other older people there earlier in the night but now it was morning, it was just him and he was off his face on E and he said he had been dancing and coming on to his daughter’s friends and he was so embarrassed and had made a total tit of himself. And it was just because, for one more time, he wanted to feel alive and young again but instead it just reminded him of how old he is and that’s just the way it is now.

The guy was a mess. And it was because he woke up one day and somehow had got old. And being old sucks.

I hadn’t thought about that guy for years but, now, I keep thinking of him. And I’m mid 40s and I understand him. And that sucks too.

Comment

Working...
                                X