TV|Shark 018: The Sopranos

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

TV|Shark 018: The Sopranos

It's a quiet Friday before a long weekend so I'm going to roll out a bonus instalment for this week by moving this up a week

The Sopranos
    Ran: 6 Seasons (1999 - 2007)
    Episodes: 86 Episodes
    Following American Italian mobster Tony Soprano, the critical darling show charted years of his life as he tried to balance his family with his criminal empire. Following on from the successful launch of Oz, this marked HBO's second drama and quickly the network was establishing a firm reputation for highly regarded tense drama. The closest it came to controversy was its ambiguous and sudden ending scene which left loyal viewers with a major unanswered question.

Share your thoughts and memories of The Sopranos

I never got into this because I thought it was the same as Analyse This.
    Seems I've missed some of the best television people can remember!

Comment

This is the show I always go back to. I watch the whole thing every couple of years, and once I start it's an episode a night (yeah, I'm crazy like that ) until it's done, once I'm in I can't get enough. I wont harp on about what makes it so much better than anything else, I haven't got the words to do it justice. But it has a depth and richness that slowly seeps in and stays with you. My memories of the show sit alongside my real-life memories.

It's the first show that made me realise that tv can do things that films cannot. It ushered in the new golden age of tv and it's never been bettered.

And the final ep was perfection. Don't Stop Believin'

Comment

I watched this in full last year for the first time. Atticus has said it all - great characters and depth. It was the first show of the modern era. Sure, it has been done a little more subtly in Breaking Bad but this is still one of the greats. Best show ever? It is up there.

Comment

I've watched the entire series about 6 times now. It's still some of the best TV ever and it evolves so much through its seasons. Sure there is some filler and weak points but the characters are brilliant that even at its worst it was decent.

What has surprised me personally is that I originally disliked the ending episode. How could you end this series with a bang anyway? Fact is you don't. The more I've read, watched and analysed that last scene the more I appreciate it. Really I now think how could it have been any different.

I'm also just glad it finished when it did. On a high and before the tragedy that was gandolfini passing. I can't imagine what this show would have been like without him in it till it's closure.

If you haven't watched it, book it in.

Comment

Late to the party, I also watched this for the first time a few months ago and was blown away, absolutely love it.

Comment

Urgh, it's only available on NowTV.

Comment

And for good measures, the clue for the penultimate TV|Shark:

Clue - As Frank Carson would say...

Comment

Very enjoyable with some of the best fleshed our characters ever on a tv show and it provides a great insight into a life of crime and how it ain’t all what it’s cracked up to be as well as humanising psychopaths in a believable fashion.

Speaking of believing. Don’t stop.

Comment

There's only two show's of this type I've ever loved, this and SoA. Absolutely phenomenal TV.

Comment

Originally posted by QualityChimp View Post
                      Urgh, it's only available on NowTV.
                      If you knew someone who had it that would be handy

Comment

Season 5 episode 12 - Long Term Parking.

Never tire of watching this episode.

Comment

Watched the first two episodes and decided it was total nonsense and not my thing. There's nothing anyone can do to persuade me to press on further.

Comment

Originally posted by charlesr View Post
                            Watched the first two episodes and decided it was total nonsense and not my thing. There's nothing anyone can do to persuade me to press on further.
                            Listen to him, he knows everything!

*Livia hand wave*

Comment

Originally posted by Superman Falls View Post
                              And for good measures, the clue for the penultimate TV|Shark:

Clue - As Frank Carson would say...
                              Cracker.

Comment

Working...
                              X