MAME recommendations thread.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

MAME recommendations thread.

Or basically your favourite arcade games!

Now that I have this Hyperspin PC with MAME installed, it's a little bit of a trudge wading through all the games there are so many. Thought we could maybe all start mentioning games worth playing, be they obvious or obscure. I've spent most of the morning while my wife is at work playing shmups and there must be a ton of great ones on here I've never played. Just about to play Ketsui for the first time ever!
    Last edited by Colin; 27-05-2018, 10:35.

Captain America and the Avengers (Data East)

Comment

Elevator Action
      Stinger
      Roc n Rope
      Defender
      Alien Syndrome
      Juno First
      Bad Dudes vs Dragon Ninja
      Robotron
      Heavy Barrel (joystick hack)
      Midnight Resistance (joystick hack)

All get regular play. Many my parents had when they owned an arcade so your nostalgia may vary.

Comment

There are so so many games on my MAME Xbox, I sometimes just play something random.
        I also mainly only play arcade games.

Comment

A hidden gem is 'Magic Crystals' by Kaneko. It's similar to games like Valkyrie no Densetsu and Kiki KaiKai(Pocky & Rocky).

Dyna Gears is another quite obscure action game that is worth playing. The graphics are really impressive.
          Last edited by Leon Retro; 27-05-2018, 14:35.

Comment

I have full sets on my Dino King now, I just drag what I like into favourites and then can choose to turn the display of the full list off, should I be tempted to add more

A few that come to mind I've been playing in the last couple of days:

Night Slashers
            Ninja Baseball Batman
            NBA Jam
            Elevator Action Returns
            Bubble Bobble 2
            Bubble Bobble 2 (prototype) - basically a level for level remake of Bubble Bobble with prettier graphics; totally different to the released game
            Rainbow Islands (new version)
            Super Pac-man (bit marmite)
            In The Hunt
            Dynablaster
            Donpachi
            Battle Garegga
            3DS FC (updated 2015): 0447-8108-3129

Comment

Actually I'll add Osman and Demon Front to that list too.

Comment

Originally posted by Escape-To-88 View Post
                Ninja Baseball Batman

Comment

There’s enough good games on the IGS PGM and Capcom’s CPS2 to keep anyone going for a long, long time.

Also, both of Konami’s Ninja Turtles beat ‘em ups and The Simpsons too...

Originally posted by Leon Retro View Post
                  Valkyrie no Densetsu
                  Thank you! Been trying to think of the name of this PCE game for ages now, even went through the Software Bible and still couldn’t find it!

Comment

Wonderful thread, thanks yall!

Comment

My obscure tip would be Dangun Feveron, one of the lesser known Cave games that I recently got into because of M2's PS4 port.

First of all, I think it's the final Cave game to use real pixel art before they started using those uglier rendered sprites, and whilst being set in space, it has a disco theme, with the music that sounds a bit like Staying Alive, Night Fever etc.

It's particularly interesting because it plays a bit differently to most Cave games. Scoring is based on collecting "disco men", trapped inside balls (disco balls?) which travel down the screen and back up, before disappearing. Miss a disco man and your multiplier resets. Because you have to hoover up the disco men pretty quickly, your movement is much faster than the usual Cave games (it is actually configurable, but moving too slow makes keeping up with everything too difficult). Because your movement is faster, it would make the twitch dodging found in most Cave games a bit tricky, and so it's less bullet-hell, reminding me a bit of something like Truxton.

Probably not their best game, but worth spending some time getting used to, purely because it's a different to the rest.

I'd also recommend the PS4 version for tonnes of configurable options, a new arrange mode, and online highscore boards.

And my current favourites from the "obvious" list:

Dodonpachi Dai Ou Jou (best Cave game ever IMO)
                      R-Type (my current goal is to get 1CC, currently I can get to stage 6)
                      Nemesis
                      Salamander (actually a bit flawed from stage 4 onwards, so you're better with the improved PC Engine version, but I still have a soft spot for the original, so something else I'm trying to 1CC)
                      Rainbow Islands
                      Outrun
                      Wonderboy
                      Kung Fu Master
                      Pac Land (using buttons for movement, as on the original cab, makes the spring boards much more manageable!)
                      Image Fight (not a classic, but something I've been enjoying lately)

It changes all the time though. I'm sure I could list loads more. I love arcades!
                      Last edited by ZipZap; 27-05-2018, 19:08.

Comment

Originally posted by charlesr View Post
                        You've never played this!? An ace side scrolling Beat em' up from Irem.

And just to add a few more since I'm doing similar to you Colin:

Salamander 2
                        Parodius Da
                        Parodius Fantastic Journey
                        Sexy Parodius
                        WWF Wrestlefest
                        Street Smart Final Fight Hack
                        Undercover Cops
                        R-Type Leo
                        Haunted Castle (purely to see how awful Castlevania is as an arcade game )

Comment

Originally posted by charlesr View Post
                          It's supposed to be "Bat Man", not "Batman" and it's actually a really good game.

Some games I would always have in my list,

Pang
                          Mr Do!
                          Gradius 3
                          SF2CE
                          SSF2
                          Fantasy Zone

Comment

The Cliffhanger: Edward Randy

You can thank me later

Comment

Love that game!