Fallout 76 - Bethesda's new car crash of an online game

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Digfox View Post
    I'm not sure the FPS drops have been patched out on XBX/PS4 Pro. Tbf DF said it dropped frames on the two enhanced consoles and it did.
    They might not have been completely eliminated, but at launch it was ridiculous; Xbox One X had a poorer framerate in places than the standard Xbox One - it was in parts of the map pretty much unplayable and if you encountered combat at that point it got worse. I saw frame rates dipping below 10 fps during explosion animations in the beta the week prior to launch (and that was the state the game was released in).

Comment

Originally posted by Yakumo View Post
      Normally I don't mind a unstable frame rate but in some cases it can be very annoying. Shenmue 3 was horrible for this.
      I think I personally notice it much more at half refresh rate when you go below 30 fps. But the difference between frame rate drops from 60 is far less noticeable. And even less so above 60 (assuming you're on a 120/144hz+ display).

Originally posted by MartyG View Post
      They might not have been completely eliminated, but at launch it was ridiculous; Xbox One X had a poorer framerate in places than the standard Xbox One - it was in parts of the map pretty much unplayable and if you encountered combat at that point it got worse.
      Oh indeed, I wasn't disagreeing just that I can't see any patch notes about improved frame rates on PS4 Pro/XBX, but maybe they have.

Comment

So Fallout 76 update Wastelanders has now been out for several days.

And to answer your burning question, no, it's still garbo: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RwQbSdwNQRU

Comment

SkillUp video, beautifully brilliant but I do wish he could be more concise. As ever from him a very good video and very hard to argue against. I've downloaded (58gb!) Wastelanders but just logged in rather than play it but noticed immediately that a. HDR is still broken on XBO and b. level scaling on enemies is still all over the place. But it does seem to have been very well received so the 'redemption' narrative is probably stronger than it should be.

I kinda half-subscribe to the theory that Wastelanders was probably content in-scope of the game's release but was cut somewhere as the game is from a middle-budget development team. Although I picked up the game in a sale and have had some fun with it but then I'm not a huge Fallout fan. But in comparison to Fallout 4 it definitely does some things better (progression, perks, base building spring to mind).

As an aside I Interestingly I did hear a streamer talk about financials on this game and how he believes BGS is money hand over fist with FO76. This might be rubbish and unfortunately very difficult to prove or disprove but it did get me thinking.

Comment

Tried this on Xbox/PC games pass (paid only 1 euro a month for the past 6 months lol)

Its ok, problem is the things to get around the issues with combat in fallout 4 like with Vats....do not really work in constant real time. Not encountered many bugs so far and seems to run pretty smoothly

Looks a bit better than 4...but feels like a Mod to try and cram multiplayer into the game....in the end would have just been better as a New Vegas single player style spin off.

Oh cannot believe it had no NPCS to begin with.....would imagine it would feel pretty barren without it

Comment

So, this is included in PS+ this month.

What does that mean? I thought this was a subscription game?

Does it play like the other games where I can just mooch around doing my own quests or is it repetitive base defence missions?

If I start playing, am I going to leave the vault in my pants, carrying a stick and some veteran will turn up in a mech suit and just evaporate me with a raygun he got after 2387 hours of grinding/£2387 of DLC?

Comment

I only played it at launch when it was barely a game but its pretty much just more Fallout 4. Other players can be a threat but each server holds up to 24 players and the gameworld map is 4x the size of F4's so most of the time you should be safe

Comment

Looking good if I can convince my mates to play it!

Comment

Other players can't kill you. If they attack (which is rare) you'll get a pop up saying they are attacking you but no damage. It's only if you fight back that it starts a pvp. Most players are either busy with their own ****, or they'll help you out.
                    I play with a friend, and solo. It's harder on your own, but even being killed doesn't mean much, you just lose Junk Loot.

Comment

Thanks for the video post Chimp - answered a lot of my questions and hesitation…

Comment

Originally posted by Cassius_Smoke View Post
                        Other players can't kill you. If they attack (which is rare) you'll get a pop up saying they are attacking you but no damage. It's only if you fight back that it starts a pvp. Most players are either busy with their own ****, or they'll help you out.
                        After being invaded by asshats every time we try to co-op on Elden Ring, that sounds amazing!

Comment

Originally posted by QualityChimp View Post
                          So, this is included in PS+ this month.

What does that mean? I thought this was a subscription game?
                          There is a subscription you can buy and pay monthly called Fallout 1st, which is ridiculously priced at £12 a month: https://fallout.bethesda.net/en/fallout1st

You should not do this.

The game has improved substantially since it first launched, but the fundamentals that make Fallout a modern Fallout game, don't work particularly great - VATS is practically useless, and given combat is garbage is a major issue.

If you enjoy the exploration aspect of Fallout, that's perhaps the most complete part of 76 - there's a lot of stuff to find. Then you'll be killed by level 6 molerats because you've got to waste time boiling/sterilising water and cooking food because of the survival elements (but hey, if you subscribe, you'll get free stuff).

Given it's part of PS+, it's worth taking a look as you may find stuff to do in the game, but you'll be bombarded with all the MT crap the game has.

Comment

Cheers Martino,

I genuinely love unfogging a Fallout map, so I may well investigate this if I ever finish Elden Ring.

I did notice that nobody was using VATS in the videos. It's not something that could work in real time.

Comment

I'm downloading this now so I'm up for playing with anyone here that want to join me.

Comment

Working...
                              X