No announcement yet.

Fallout 76 - Bethesda's new car crash of an online game

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Just when you thought that Bethesda couldn't screw up Fallout 76 any further, they screw up Fallout 76 further

Comment

It could be seen as the thin end of a wedge. I'm suprised anyone is still playing it enough to buy/use such an item.

Comment

Well the claims from Todd Howard are that FO76 has done 'very well' and has a player base of 'millions' of players: https://www.resetera.com/threads/tod...llions.109961/

Of course without the detail it is hard to be sure but at the same time clues will emerge. However I suspect the game probably has sold millions of copies, but how active those players are remains to be seen. Although Fallout is such a big brand that it's believable this will be a success for BGS.

The Elder Scrolls Online came out to a very bad reception and has since gone on to be a massive success for Zenimax Online Studios (sister company). This might be a good example of where the internet's perception if 'off' when compared to reality.

With regards to the new consumables, I've said before but TESO has some of the most aggressive monitisation I've seen so repair kits is to be expected. It's the seasonal loot crates and other catch up mechanics that will cause a bigger noise.

Comment

Originally posted by Digfox View Post
          With regards to the new consumables, I've said before but TESO has some of the most aggressive monitisation I've seen so repair kits is to be expected.
          Except it should not be expected given that Bethesda stated that Fallout 76 microtransactions would be "cosmetic" - although I suppose we should given that nothing any publisher says can be believed given how often they break their word.

“All the content we ever put out for Fallout 76–all the DLC, all the post-launch stuff–is going to be free. That’s important. And to say, the Atomic shop is cosmetic stuff. To make sure folks understand–look there’s a line. There are people who have crossed it, but we’re going to stay on the right side of it in terms of the things you can spend money on and how this stuff works and what you’re getting for your $60. That you know, when they put out new content or features or whatever, I’m getting that stuff for free. That feels right.”

Comment

Originally posted by MartyG View Post
            Just when you thought that Bethesda couldn't screw up Fallout 76 any further, they screw up Fallout 76 further

https://www.oneangrygamer.net/2019/0...ncement/81501/
            Oh god what even is that website?! Banners, ads, video interstitials... You might say "maybe their community uses AdBlock" but then what's the point of the ads?!?

Comment

I didn't see any ads, I'm using an adblock.

Comment

Originally posted by Digfox View Post
                With regards to the new consumables, I've said before but TESO has some of the most aggressive monitisation I've seen so repair kits is to be expected. It's the seasonal loot crates and other catch up mechanics that will cause a bigger noise.
                Publishers would love pay-to-win items to be financially successful in the west, even if players hate them (as we kinda all know, they don't really care about people's opinion of them if the cash is flowing). Charging people for pay-to-win and quality-of-life content is faaaar easier than charging for cosmetic stuff. The only reason we haven't seen it is that the core gamer demographic responds to it negatively in the west (taken as a whole; small examples have worked).

I really hope that trend continues; I would never play a pay-to-win game.

EDIT: If this game has been a relative flop and now only maintains a small playerbase, Zenimax are going to crack out every single play in the book to try and monetise that community. They won't be precious about a failing game, so if it exists, they'll try it. Fans of the game should be concerned, too, because generally with monetisation there are two choices - "go wide" or "go deep". If you've got a small community, you can't go wide, so you have to go deep, and that means trying to get the most money out of every individual player, rather than nickel and diming everyone a little bit.
                Last edited by Asura; 07-04-2019, 07:36.

Comment

Yeah I agree. And if Bethesda see a spike in profits due to it, they may well look across the table at Starfield and Elder Scrolls 6.

Comment

Except it should not be expected given that Bethesda stated that Fallout 76 microtransactions would be "cosmetic" - although I suppose we should given that nothing any publisher says can be believed given how often they break their word.
                    Good point, I meant that TESO has probably given Bethesda and Zenimax some wonderful MI and therefore some great data on what works and what doesn't etc. I suspect the games to be similar in some of those techniques even if TESO is a MMO with an optional subscription and therefore they aren't quite the same product.

I do think there is very little to no clear, transparent and honest communication from videogame developers publishers. Even when they do say something can be earnt in-game for example, it ends up being a 200 hour grind for a fluffy hat. So I suppose I don't put much faith in what they say anymore. Even the so called 'good' examples that places like to ResetEra aren't really doing much different.

Originally posted by Asura View Post
                    Publishers would love pay-to-win items to be financially successful in the west, even if players hate them (as we kinda all know, they don't really care about people's opinion of them if the cash is flowing). Charging people for pay-to-win and quality-of-life content is faaaar easier than charging for cosmetic stuff. The only reason we haven't seen it is that the core gamer demographic responds to it negatively in the west (taken as a whole; small examples have worked).
                    I should be clear because otherwise I'm being a bit unfair on TESO. It is not pay-to-win but aggressive in the sheer amount of business practices it employs. There are no 'p2w' items or bonuses in the cash store, but mostly cosmetics and QOL features. However they have paid base game, pre-order bonuses, paid expansions, collectors editions, subscription, in-game items to buy and no simple local currency pricing. There's nothing inherently different in that from other games but there is an aggressive and exploitation lootbox system where clearly the best looking mounts and items have been saved for.

If it was a f2p game I would probably says its business model is perfect. But I suppose in the main it's the lootboxes I have most disdain for. You can certainly play the game without spending money in the in-game store, it is just irritating there often isn't a clear consumer friendly way to buy a new mount for a reasonable price. It certainly isn't a Black Desert Online situation where there is a levelling system tied to RNG and therefore spending money.

Originally posted by Cassius_Smoke View Post
                    Yeah I agree. And if Bethesda see a spike in profits due to it, they may well look across the table at Starfield and Elder Scrolls 6.
                    ES6 and Starfield are going to be loaded with MTX either way. The trend of hitting even single player games with greedy practices (Ass. Creed Odyssey or Far Cry 5 etc.) is too far engrained now.
                    Last edited by Digfox; 07-04-2019, 14:22.

Comment

I'm enjoying the latest Fallout 76 implosion as Bethesda firstly announce:
                      Fallout 76’s human NPC update delayed into next year

Then they announce this beauty:

The price?
                      1 month: $12.99
                      1 year: $99.99

In contrast:
                      Gamespass = £7.99 per month + 200+ games and release day launches
                      PS NOW = £8.99 per month 500+games
                      Bethesda fallout 76 = $12 per month to play with just your friends and some in game currency

Comment

I've been playing this for the last week or so and I'm struggling to gain exp at a decent rate. I'm like level 16. I see people all over the map who are well over Level 100. It will be these guys that buy this **** and Bethesda know it.

Comment

Actually the delay in Wastelanders DLC was announced last week, but it's the detail that is coming out now.

There are some very dumb takes on Reseteraand Reddit about this, although the criticism is certainly valid. This just feels like ESO+ but for Fallout 76. Although this is more expensive and without as many benefits as ESO+. Probably in the plan all along. I'm still half expecting those horrendous loot boxes and gem system to come over at some point.

I did actually buy this in a sale in the summer for Xbox One (£20). I've enjoyed what I've played although I haven't got far into the game. I felt it did some things better than other Fallout games, i.e. Character Builds/Perk card system. There will be a market for this assuming the player base is healthy enough. Just like Minecraft Realms, ESO+ or various MMO subs etc.

Comment

Originally posted by QualityChimp View Post
                            The price?
                            1 month: $12.99
                            1 year: $99.99

In contrast:
                            Gamespass = £7.99 per month + 200+ games and release day launches
                            PS NOW = £8.99 per month 500+games
                            Bethesda fallout 76 = $12 per month to play with just your friends and some in game currency
                            Just when you thought Bethesda couldn't fall any lower, they find yet another trapdoor in what is already a very deep hole.

There's just absolutely zero chance I will be buying Elder Scrolls 6 at launch now. A game series I used to take holiday for to soak in the experience for a week and the chances are now that it's going to be another bug filled triple A microtransaction fest trying to gouge more and more money on top of the £50 entry fee paid that I wouldn't waste a weekend on.

Well done Bethesda, you must be so proud of that acheivement.
                            Last edited by MartyG; 23-10-2019, 18:08.

Comment

Just when you thought Bethesda couldn't fall any lower, they find yet another trapdoor in what is already a very deep hole.

There's just absolutely zero chance I will be buying Elder Scrolls 6 at launch now. A game series I used to take holiday for to soak in the experience for a week and the chances are now that it's going to be another bug filled triple A microtransaction fest trying to gouge more and more money on top of the £50 entry fee paid that I wouldn't waste a weekend on.

Well done Bethesda, you must be so proud of that acheivement.
                              Completely agree. They've crushed any chances of me buying it.

Comment

I love Fallout 3, New Vegas and 4.
                                Amazing games and their DLC has been worth getting, as they're new stories and usually turn things on their head.

I'm in agreement too, though, that I'll observe any future output with a suspicious eye.

GaaS, really puts me off video games, though.

Comment

Working...
                                X