No announcement yet.

Fallout 76 - Bethesda's new car crash of an online game

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Sounds like mandatory PVP which is a shame. Although I've played PVP and done things like the Dark Zone in the Division, it isn't my thing and I much prefer PVE where I'm safe and coordinating with other players.

Again like [MENTION=4957]hudson[/MENTION] says, 5 months from release and we barely know anything about the game. That's shocking imo. We should have seen it and be getting hyped about the systems, progression, gameplay, world etc. Not the carefully massaged PR BS drip-feed so far.

Comment

If you make it forced PVP, there's more incentive for people to spend money on in-game currency for base defences

I don't think I've seen any mention of monetisation in FallOut 76; if it has been raised I've missed it.

Comment

They are probably trying to hide the monetisation until after the release and people have bought the game.

Comment

If you were hoping to get this via Steam, you're out of luck: https://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2...team-at-launch

Just another tick in the negatives box for me.

Comment

Just been reading about this on Eurogamer. Unfortunately it isn't that different from other large western publishers. And it's sibling organisation (Zenimax Online Studios) did this 4 years ago with The Elder Scrolls Online.

Indeed running TESO via Steam is meant to be a much worse way to play that game, so I never bothered.

Comment

Don't blame them. 30% to valve for doing virtually nothing (in comparison to Bethesda's 70% cut that they'd get for making the entire game, marketing, support, bug fixing etc.)

Comment

Originally posted by Brad View Post
                bug fixing
                They do that?

Comment

I put that one in to see if you were paying attention!

Comment

Except it’s not nothing they’re paying for, is it? It’s store reach? I can’t be the only one who loads up Steam and has a quick look at what’s on it but it is literally the only PC game store I will do that with. If it’s not on Steam, it barely exists for me simply because it has ended up being my default platform on the system. While obviously Fallout carries enough weight that people who want it will go find it, there is a much wider market than that and there are so many games I know exist and know I would like but never got around to buying - those games are generally not on Steam. Because if they were on Steam, they’d be in my face or would go on sale and I’d eventually take a punt.

Comment

True... Except there are so many new games on Steam all the time that titles get lost in the surge. I expect Bethesda feel that 30% is better spent on advertising. I don't think they need valve's help; it's already a massive franchise. For most other games though yeah, you kinda need to be on Steam.

Comment

I don’t know if even being a big franchise can offset some of the sales they’d lose on Steam. For example, the only game in the Crysis series I don’t have is the one not on Steam. Same with Dead Space. I can pretty much guarantee I’d own them by now if they were on Steam because I loved the ones I own. But without just being there in the store I happen to frequent (and I know I’m not the only one, not by a long shot), it takes a journey to go and get them and that rules out any kind of impulse buy. It’s just like how Tesco works - it’s much easier to make a sale on something when they have you in their store.

Comment

Originally posted by Dogg Thang View Post
                          I don’t know if even being a big franchise can offset some of the sales they’d lose on Steam.
                          The list of successful games away from Steam is considerable. I thing it has been shown that gamers will go onto any platform for a big enough brand or a games that has been well received or marketed. I suspect there are cases of large games selling just as well even when they aren't available on Steam.

Virtually all of the large western publishers have set-up their own digital storefronts and only sell on those storefronts; EA - Origin, Activision/Blizzard - Blizzard App, Epic Launcher, Microsoft Store, Zenimax Online Studios etc. And even those that don't such as Rockstar or CD Projekt Red prioritised their own storefronts with retail keys the last time they released a game. Only Ubisoft seem to buck this trend by releasing games on other storefronts but have still invested resources into their UPlay platform which is mandatory for any of their games.

There are also interesting stories of small indie studios having success away from Steam: https://www.gamesindustry.biz/articl...steam-paid-off

As an aside the wording of the PR statement suggests it might copy ESO and be launched on Steam at a later date.

Originally posted by Dogg Thang View Post
                          I can’t be the only one who loads up Steam and has a quick look at what’s on it but it is literally the only PC game store I will do that with. If it’s not on Steam, it barely exists for me simply because it has ended up being my default platform on the system.
                          I can't help but think you are, or at least you are part of a reducing trend. Given how many PC games aren't on Steam I don't use it that way personally. That said Valve are doing an awful job of curation that for me personally 'games discovery' is more likely to be via reddit, forums or the internet in general than a digital storefront.

Comment

I imagine, like Destiny 2, this will hold its own off Steam. More worrying for me is that it looks like the least interesting Fallout they've done.

Comment

A big factor of using Steam and wanting games to be purchased through Steam is the management of patching. Having to keep up with patches across multiple storefronts is a pain as I don't want them all loaded at start-up to sit there in the background doing nothing but eating up resources. Bethesda's patching in particular is a painful experience if you miss out on a patch release - it's slow and cumbersome and recently wouldn't patch at all leading me to uninstall 80GB of ESO garbage. Origin patching and download speed is also garbage.

Steam consistently maxes out my bandwidth for new downloads and patches - it's the only storefront that manages to do this properly, and as such, not being on Steam is a massive negative for me.

Comment

Originally posted by MartyG View Post
                                Steam consistently maxes out my bandwidth for new downloads and patches - it's the only storefront that manages to do this properly, and as such, not being on Steam is a massive negative for me.
                                This. Maxes out a 70Mbit connection with ease, consistently.

Fortnite isn't on Steam, wasn't the latest in a huge franchise either. I do get the Tesco comparison but to make that comparison more accurate you need to think of Tesco selling a really cool Godzilla figure, that breathes real fire, and transforms into Bayonetta. But before you can find the Godzilla figure you have to wade through piles of Minions, Crazy Frog, Justin Beiber and Vanilla Ice figures. Thousands of them.

Comment

Working...
                                X